Alexa & Katie is a Netflix original sitcom series about the bonds of friendship and family, and the struggles they face when a loved one is diagnosed with cancer.
Alexa is a fourteen year old girl who is undergoing treatment for a cancer. Luckily she has her best friend Katie by her side, no matter what.
Alexa & Katie Tropes:
- Actor Allusion:
- In "Sweet Sixteen", a party planner asks Lori if she's an event planner. Tiffani Thiessen played event planner Elizabeth Burke on White Collar.
- The first time Dylan tutors Alexa and she isn't paying attention, one of his Not Listening to Me, Are You? he said he's secretly a superhero. Jack Griffo was previously on The Thundermans where he's the oldest son of the titular family of superheroes.
- Blatant Lies: Alexa is constantly trying to lie her way out of trouble with varying success.Alexa: I came straight home, took a nap. Here I am.Lori: You came straight home?Alexa: Mom, we had an agreement. How can you even ask?Lori: Is that your Mocha?Alexa: Yeah, from yesterday.Lori: And yet it's still warm.Alexa: Climate Change.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Alexa. It's implied that most of her bad behavior is her acting out because of the cancer and being treated like a sick girl.
- Enter Stage Window: Alex and Katie's bedrooms are connected by a tall tree midway between their two houses, so it's common for them to use each other's windows to visit each other.
- Important Haircut: In the Pilot, Alexa's hair had started failing out due to chemotherapy, as a show of support Katie shaves her hair as well so that Alexa won't be the only bald person at school.
- Ill Girl: Alexa. A driving forces of many of her plot lines is her desire to not be seen as the sick girl.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Hilarious averted. As Lucas doesn't care that Dylan is dating his little sister Alexa but is mad at Alexa for stealing his best friend.
- Parents as People:
- Alexa's parents Lori and Dave are shown to be struggling with their daughter's cancer diagnosis.
- Katie's mother Jennifer is a single mother trying to make ends meet.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Dylan. He's a mathlete and maths tutor.
- Dawson Casting: Paris Berelc Was 18 when she started playing 14-year-old Alexa.Dylan: Well, guess what this "dweeb" is doing Saturday night? It's gonna be epic.
Alexa: Midnight mathlete meeting?
Dylan: That's Tuesday.