A Step into the Past tells the story of present-day Hong Kong officer Hong Siu Long, who, because of a bargain, travels back into the past during the Warring States Period in China. Because the time machine never work properly like they should, Siu Long arrives three years earlier than he is supposed to be and therefore, he cannot go back into the future. In his efforts to get back home, he gets involved in and is directly responsible for several historical events that leads to the first unification of China under the Qin dynasty. The series was produced by TVB in 2001 and is based loosely on the late Huang Yi's novel of the same name. there was also a Hong Kong manhua adaptation. Another loose adaptation (of a loose adaptation), this time a web series, aired online in 2018.
A Step Into The Past contains examples of:
- Arranged Marriage
- Decadent Court
- The Emperor: The making of the first Chinese one in fact.
- Evil Chancellor:
- Imperial China: Most of the setting.
- Knight Errant: How Siu Long comes of as.
- Old Master
- Rape as Drama
- Reincarnation Romance: Or rather Incarnation Romance.
- Star-Crossed Lovers
- Time Travel: What kickstarts the story.