A half-hour sketch comedy show starring a core cast of Black women. Created by and starring Robin Thede.
A Black Lady Sketch Show contains examples of:
- After the End: The show starts out hours after the end of the world. We don't know how the world ended and it is simply referred to as "The Event."
- Alpha Bitch: Spoofed in "Bad Bitch Support Group", showing these women in a support group setting that turns out to be an experiment run by a cosmetics company discussing just how much effort they have to put into being this.
- The Assimilator: The Dance Biter does this with dance moves at a club, swiping them so the alien disguised as a human could gain their dances to impress their ex.
- Beneath Notice: Exploited and Played for Laughs in "Invisible Spy". Her counterpart is similarly-built with an identical haircut, proving to have some Fearful Symmetry to boot.
: Trinity is incredible. Her regular-looking face makes her nearly invisible in the field, but around here, she's a real legend.
- Break Up Song: Invoked in "On My Own", in which the woman being dumped is cursed to have Patti LaBelle appear nearby to sing the titular song until she gives in and sings along to soothe her broken heart.
: One time I got dumped in a restaurant - she had a whole fucking
: (Still singing
) And it was excellent!
- Cannot Spit It Out: Chris can not seem to able to give a simple answer.
- Couch Gag: Every episode of season 2 has a different cast member accidentally kill someone during the intro except for the last episode.
- Crazy-Prepared: Robin has her house fortified against the apocalypse and has packed a bunch a medical supplies. She has also has frozen single serve... sperm in her freezer.
- Likes Older Men: Gabrielle says she likes "mature" men and once went on a date with a man who was part of the Civil Rights Movement much to her friends' disgust. She found the date very informative.
- Starcrossed Lovers: Rome and Julissa is a parody of Romeo and Juliet, except with fans of Nicki Minaj and Cardi B, respectively.