Hey, 'sup everyone? I'm Spyro the Dragon, hero extraordinaire! Don't let my size fool you, I've saved the Dragon Realms and accomplished more things in my life than most of the old elders combined.
Not to say my life was always that awesome, though. From the time I was just a hatchling to the time I became a member of the frequent world savers club, I mostly herded sheep as a chore given to me by the elders. Yeah, to say it was rather boring would be quite the understatement. If it wasn't for my best friend Sparx, I would have gone out of my mind in boredom until that day.
What day is that? Simple, it was the day Gnasty Gnorc decided to try and get revenge against dragons. You see, old butt face was like jealous of our gems or... Something. I dunno, wasn't paying attention to that part. All I know was that pain in the tail tried to turn all of a dragon kind into statues, but what Mr. Nuts for brains didn't realize he missed one. Namely, me. Now, other dragons would have been scared, but not me. I jumped right into action and started to torching the behinds of Gnasty's minions before they knew what hit them, freeing dragon kind a long the way.
To make the story short though, eventually I found Gnasty and kicked his butt back to the dump he came from!
After that, the Dragon Realms were hit with a sudden wave of bad weather. Yeah, not exactly the best way to celebrate a victory. So, me and my buddy Sparx decided to take a well deserved vacation at Dragon Shores. Unfortunately, things don't always go as planned. As it turned out, in the far off Realm of Avalar a mole only known as 'The Professor' was attempting to use a portal to summon a dragon to their worlds, just around the same time I was jumping through my portal to Dragon Shores.
Yeah, to say I wasn't really amused would be an understatement. As it turns out though, Avalar was currently under attack from some midget raptor thing called Ripto. As it also turned out, Ripto hated dragons, and the main reason he was trying to take over their realm was because there were none there. So, the group there decided it to be a good idea to summon a dragon to fight him. Yep, no flaws with that logic there. In the end though, it was all good. I kicked Ripto's butt, finally got my trip to Dragon Shores, and met some of my closest friends on that journey.
Sometime later, in the Year of the Dragon, the dragon eggs that were "routinely delivered by fairies" (yeah, right. I totally believed that one, Elders) were stolen by a rabbit wearing a robe. Having jumped down a rabbit hole (wait... This sounds oddly familiar now that I say it...) that was too small for the other dragons to go through, I was once again charged with the task of saving dragon kind by going an adventure to the 'Forgotten Realms', where I soon faced off against the true villain, "The Sorceress". Along the way, I met up with some pretty cool allies, and even that rabbit decided to pull a HeelFace Turn to help us.
And that was pretty much it. I went on some other adventures since, but I've already rambled on enough. I think it's time to get to that whole 'Trope' thing this site is named for.
Also, since my personality and that other Spyro's personality is as different as night and day, apparently he got his own page as well. But since I'm so much cooler, his page wasn't considered worthy of existing. What a shame! That's why I'm getting the Updated Re-release!
Awesome Tropes that describe me:
- American Kirby Is Hardcore: I'm what you guys would call an inversion. In most places, what you see is what you get; I'm just a dragon who likes torching Gnorcs, Rhynocs, and Riptocs and helping his friends. In Japan, they seriously toned me down and made me more of a Kid-Appeal Character. They also turned Sparx green.
- Badass Adorable: Apparently, some of my fangirls find me as this. I am not adorable! I'm fierce, and don't you forget it!
- Badass in Distress: Hate to admit it, but that Mammoth guy kinda got the drop on me. Good thing Hunter helped me out when he did.
- Bad Butt: Sorry, but my contract forbids me from using the more "sensitive" words, as they call it. Not like it matters, as I still manage to be awesome regardless.
- Bag of Spilling: Averted, baby! Unlike that other Spyro, I'm actually smart enough to remember my abilities in between games.
- Sadly, it's kinda Played Straight with my breath weapons. I learned them in Season of Flame, Enter the Dragonfly, and A Hero's Tail. I guess I just prefer my fire breath over everything else.
- Berserk Button: Go ahead, harm one of my friends. I dare ya'.
- Big Brother Instinct: I saved a bunch of dragon eggs in two games, now! I'm pretty sure that qualifies. Also, Moneybags should've thought twice before trying to make off with one.
- Blood Knight: At least back in my first outing against Gnasty Gnorc, I was a lot more eager to get into scraps with enemies. These days, I'm still willing to charge in, but it's usually just to help my friends or to get the MacGuffin of the day.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: I tended to do this a lot in in the first game and A Hero's Tail. Heck, I'm doing it right now by just listing these tropes.
- Breath Weapon: Comes with being a dragon.
- Celibate Hero: Yes, I'm aware of the plague of 'love'. Luckily, I'm immune to it. Didn't stop Ember from crushing on me until I hooked her up with Bandit, though. And no, I do not have a crush on Elora. We're just friends. Stop asking!
- Deadpan Snarker: No, I am not snarky in the slightest. What would make you ever think that?
- Elemental Powers: Comes with being a dragon. Might not be the same level as the other Spyro, but I still managed to kick some serious tail with it.
- Playing with Fire: Well, DUH! It's great for taking out bigger enemies and lighting rockets.
- An Ice Person: Early on I needed the help of a fairy or power-up gate to breathe this, but later games would give me this as a default ability. Sometimes, I can walk on frozen enemies like they're platforms.
- Shock and Awe: Didn't gain this until way later. It's especially useful for activating machines.
- Blow You Away: I only really got this in one of the GBA titles, but it's still there. Try telling that to other me.
- Making a Splash: I got this ability after taking out Ineptune. It's not very useful most of the time, but it works great against fire enemies.
- Bubble Gun: Uh... Yeah. I still don't get this power. What kind of stupid power is breathing bubbles, anyway? You know, aside from catching dragonflies.
- Flight: Sadly, despite how cool I might be, I'm still not old enough yet to fly under my own power outside of speedways or without the use of a superfly powerup.
- Ground Pound: One of the few good things Moneybags did in my first three adventures was teach me the Headbash/Horn Smash/Horn Dive/whatever it wants to be called. Pretty useful for hitting switches, breaking certain chests, busting Dark Crystals, and taking out a good number of baddies. It can also be upgraded into a Shockwave Stomp.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: I dunno what that first word means, but me and Sparx have been partners since the first adventure. Turns out all newborn dragons have this relationship with their dragonflies. Huh. Maybe I should've paid more attention to the Dragon Elders.
- Horn Attack: A lot of my abilities make pretty good use of these babies. The charge, Headbash, and some of my Dragon Kata attacks are pretty decent examples.
- Implausible Boarding Skills: Riding a skateboard's a lot easier than you'd think. Just grab onto it with your claws and use your wings to keep steady.
- Kamehame Hadouken: The Chi Punch isn't so much a punch as it is one of these. Who named that move, anyway?
- Kid Hero: As said, I've accomplished more things as a twelve-to-fifteen year old than most dragons have in their entire life!
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Do I look like I can carry a shield? Come to think of it, my wings can do the same thing. They're perfect for reflecting projectiles.
- Mascot with Attitude: Proud of it, too!
- Mighty Roar: The Chi Roar pretty much acts as weaponized puberty.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: As awesome as I am, one hit without Sparx by my side can do me in.
- The Other Darrin: Me and my other counterparts have had a lot of different people voicing us. When only counting me, I've been portrayed by Carlos Alazraqui, Tom Kenny, and Jess Harnell, and that's just if the English language is taken into consideration. In Japanese, Akiko Yajima provided my voice, though she made me a lot more saccharine than I normally am.
- Power-Up: A few gates spread throughout the realms, plus some fairies, are able to provide these when I need them. Aside from the Superfly power-up, those include:
- Nitro Boost: One of the earliest abilities I could use. Running across a Supercharge ramp or gate lets me pick up a lot of speed. Gotta go fast! Heheh...sorry; couldn't resist.
- Fireball: The Superflame power-up lets me shoot these at anything that's too strong for a simple charge or flame attack to utilize.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Some of these turn me invincible for a bit. It also lets me walk on lava and swim in otherwise deadly water.
- Spring Jump: Then there are a few of these that just launch me high into the air. Pretty useful for getting to higher ground.
- Prehensile Tail: Some of my Dragon Kata moves let me attack with my tail.
- Razor Wings: The Chi Wings attack lets me use my wings to slash at enemies.
- Silent Protagonist: For some weird reason, I didn't have any lines in Shadow Legacy. Either I had a sore throat that day, or someone forgot to give me anything to say.
- Super Drowning Skills: I had this back in my first adventure, and it gets taken Up to Eleven in the Game Boy Advance titles. You'd think I gained a sudden allergy to water in those adventures.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Another useful thing Moneybags did was teach me how to swim. In the console titles, at least, I keep this skill intact.
- Super Spit: If I have a rock in my mouth, it's gotta be shot at the nearest baddie in sight. That's kinda what rocks are for.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Dragon Kata techniques I learned to save everyone from the Shadow Realm (no relation) act kinda like this.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: After years of speculating, people finally get to see how I'd fare against that orange bandicoot I teamed up with once in a duel to the death, even though they're mostly counting my incarnation from The Legend of Spyro with the other incarnations' abilities thrown in for good measure. No points for guessing who won; great work, other me! Though I gotta admit, Crash put up a pretty good fight. Still, though: nobody hurts Sparx while I or any of my other selves are around!
- Use Your Head: Besides being able to breath fire, I've been told I have a rather hard head. Really useful for taking down baddies!
- Wall Crawl: The third move Moneybags taught me was the ability to climb ladders. Or walls that looked specifically like ladders. Really, it's kinda hard to tell, sometimes.
- Wall Jump: The Dragon Elder, Astor, taught me how to do this. Why do I get the feeling that all that's missing is a hat, overalls, mustache, and a quest to find those Power Stars the Professor mentioned?
- Worthy Opponent: I actually referred to Gnasty Gnorc as one of these after kicking his butt the first time. Which, in retrospect, is kinda not accurate since all he did was run away for most of the fight. At least the next time I fought him, he actually put up a fight.
- Would Hit a Girl: If you're evil enough or hurt my friends, I have no problem torching your butt regardless of gender!