As for my story, it is mine to tell and mine alone.
It is a story of family, of betrayal, and of vengeance. But most importantly, my story is also one of redemption...mostly.
And if you're reading this, Cage, I better not see any of this in any of your movies, or else there will be hell to pay.
Still here? Fine. I suppose I should start from the beginning.
I had been many things. I was praised as a hero, as well as cursed as a villain. I had served Lord Raiden as a Warrior of Light, and served as an enforcer for Shinnok and Quan Chi.
But above all things, I am Shirai Ryu.
It was a life that my father did not want for me. He wanted me to be better, to have a life away from that of the Shirai Ryu. But I joined the clan against his wishes. I had a wife and son to support, and through the Shirai Ryu, was I able to do so. I was a devoted husband to my beloved Harumi, and a stern, yet loving father to Satoshi. It was here where I got my codename, due to my mastery of the kunai: Sasori. Translated, it means 'Scorpion.'
While it was a codename that I once wore with honor, it now fills me with shame. Shame regarding my time as a wraith in the Netherrealm.
Then...came the mission to steal the Map of the Elements. I faced my rival, Bi-Han of the Lin Kuei in kombat. I failed in that mission, and Bi-Han took my life.
In the Netherrealm, I was reborn. Hanzo Hasashi was gone. Even worse was that once I was dead, the Shirai Ryu was put to the sword.
I would get my revenge on my murderer two years later, on Shang Tsung's island tournament. Then during Shao Kahn's tournament in Outworld, I discovered that Bi-Han's younger brother had taken on his late brother's codename. I discovered that this was not the same man who had killed me, and thus, swore to act as his protector.
I may not have had a major role in Shao Kahn's failed invasion of Earthrealm, but it was after that did I discover the truth. When Shinnok made his attempt to conquer the realms, Quan Chi revealed himself to be the architect behind the slaughter of my family and clan. When he tried to banish me to the Netherrealm now that I had served my usefulness, I took the foul sorcerer with me.
I pursued and tortured Quan Chi for many years until he sent Moloch and Drahmin after me, then had them distract me, allowing him to escape. My fury was no match for Quan Chi's enforcers upon confronting them again, but I was thrown into the Soulnado inside Shang Tsung's place, having been rendered to pieces.
But as the old saying goes, I got better.
The Elder Gods saved me, and made me their champion against Onaga. Sadly, I was unable to follow through with my task. A man named Shujinko finished the job instead.
I was present at the Battle of Armageddon, but I was among the many kombatants slain.
My story should have ended there. But sometimes, an ending can merely be a new beginning in disguise.
Somehow, Raiden reset the timeline before Shao Kahn killed him in the last moments of Armageddon. Unfortunately, not much has changed. Bi-Han still died by my hand, despite me promising Raiden that I would spare his life in exchange for the restoration of my clan and family.
Two years after Shao Kahn's invasion ended with Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade as the remaining survivors of Raiden's forces, Shinnok launched another invasion of Earthrealm. I and the revenant form of Kuai Liang fought against Johnny Cage and lost. I would later find out that he was the one who defeated Shinnok.
Sometime later, Sonya and Johnny attempted to capture Quan Chi. Johnny was mortally wounded in the attempt and would have become the newest revenant had it not been for Sonya and Raiden's interference.
Long story short, Johnny was saved, and I was restored to life, along with Jackson Briggs and Kuai Liang.
I set about rebuilding the Shirai Ryu, taking in children whose parents were killed during the Netherrealm War. Among the children I trained was Kenshi's son, Takeda. Kenshi had left the boy in my care while he investigated a criminal organization called the Red Dragon.
Takeda was a prodigy in the Shirai Ryu arts. I began to see him as my own son.
But as I tried to rebuild the Shirai Ryu, there are those who would try and destroy it. This time, it was the mad Chaosrealm cleric, Havik. During what was to be known as the Blood Code Incident, Havik nearly succeeded in killing me, attempting to provoke me into bringing out Scorpion.
Be Careful What You Wish For, Havik.
I fought my inner demons and returned to the land of the living. Then, I tracked Havik down to Shang Tsung's Island Ruins, where a battle against Havik and his brainwashed kombatants (the Cage family, Jacqui Briggs, Mileena, Kotal Kahn and Raiden) and Queen Sheeva's Shokan forces was raging.
I took his head to the Netherrealm, and left it with Moloch and Drahmin. Knowing Quan Chi, he would not let Havik live as a result of his failure.
Some years would pass after this. Takeda and Kenshi would reconnect. Cassandra and Jacqueline would join the military. Then, Johnny Cage approached me. No, he did not offer me a spot in his latest film, which I would refuse right off the bat, but rather he told me that he was forming a squad of four, the other three being his daughter and goddaughter, and the Shaolin archer, Kung Jin. Deciding for once that Johnny's plan was crazy enough to work, I allowed Takeda to join Team S-F.
Around the same time, I was invited to a parley at the Lin Kuei Temple. There, Kuai Liang showed me the truth.
Quan Chi, not Bi-Han was the murderer of my family and my clan.
Word reached me of Quan Chi's capture in the Netherrealm, being held in Special Forces custody. I...I screwed up. I was so obsessed with vengeance that I lashed out at General Blade, her former spouse and Kenshi. I took Quan Chi's head, but not before he was able to free Shinnok from his amulet and he and the revenants kidnapped Cassandra's father.
I would find out later that during the attack on the Sky Temple, while Takeda and Jacqui held off the revenants, Cassandra and Kung Jin confronted Shinnok and the Kytinn, D'Vorah.
And just as her father had did some two decades earlier, Cassandra Cage defeated Shinnok. Impressive, Cassandra. Most impressive indeed.
Two years would pass. We thought things would calm down. We were all wrong.
Following the death of General Blade, the mad Titan Kronika began to merge timelines of past and present, her goal being to unleash a temporal Armageddon.
Among those fighting for her cause was...well, me. She had recruited myself back when I was a revenant.
After working with Kuai Liang in destroying the Cyber Lin Kuei assembly plant, I granted Raiden and the others asylum at my temple following the destruction of Special Forces' Desert Command.
I would meet my own fate in the Netherrealm. They say that the greatest opponent is yourself. That adage rang true as I faced off against my dark half. After besting him in kombat, I convinced...myself that the new Shirai Ryu I trained were more than worthy.
Then, that damned Kytinn bitch killed me. But not before I made Scorpion promise that he would train and lead the new Shirai Ryu. Unfortunately Kronika's manipulation of time prevented Scorpion from joining Liu Kang in the final battle, but upon his ascension to Fire God, Kang made sure Kronika would pay for her transgressions.
My live-action exploits had left me with mixed opinions. I could have beaten that egomaniac Cage, but I resent being a slave to Shang Tsung. And surprisingly, I agree with Cage regarding the second film.
But I am impressed with the web show, as it is mostly faithful to what I once was.
On two seperate occasions, I encountered and tested my skills in kombat against the Justice League. Whether or not it were the same champions before Superman's fall is left open to question. It does present another opportunity to rid the multiverse of that homicidal jester, who I may be facing sooner than I think.
My path to redemption lies through these tropes.
- A Father to His Men: A trait that I picked up from General Blade. Treat your underlings as they were your own, and there is nothing that they would not do for you.
- Aesop Amnesia: (Sigh) Looking back now, I can honestly admit that my obsession with revenge for my family and clan tends to make things worse for myself and my fellow champions. By the time Kronika began her scheme to reset time, I had made my peace with my past, even going as far as to convince my Revenant self to do the same. Unfortunately for me, the power of the Hourglass proved to be seductive, as I used its powers to bring about my wrath upon the Titans who so callously destroyed my family and clan.
- Alliterative Name: Hanzo Hasashi.
- Animal Motifs: Both Johnny and Cassandra claim I have a scorpion fetish. That is false. (beat) What? It's the truth. Okay, okay, fine. Just don't let Johnny or his daughter know they were right. I'll never hear the end of it.
- My classic kombat stance in which one arm is raised at head level invokes the scorpion's stinger. It's also the basic Shirai Ryu stance.
- Two of my costumes have shoulder pauldrons modeled after the scorpion. And it is evident in several of my masks. And I can transform into one for one of my Fatalities.
- And the sigil of the reformed Shirai Ryu is in fact, a scorpion. Happy now?
- Anti-Villain: Of the Noble Type. Despite my past allegiance to the Netherrealm, I am neutral in the affairs of the realms. It was only after I had my life restored that I became a force for good.
- Arch-Enemy: Originally, I thought that Bi-Han killed off my family and clan after killing me. Yes, Bi-Han murdered me, but it was that gods-be-damned necromancer that took everything from me.
- The Atoner: Redemption isn't given, but earned.
- Back from the Dead: Twice over. First, as a wraith; the second with my humanity restored.
- Badass Baritone: Of course.
- Badass Beard: After I was brought back to life.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: During the Blood Code incident, the mad cleric Havik had beaten me to death in an attempt to bring out Scorpion. He got his wish. Then I dropped off his head to Moloch and Drahmin.
- Berserk Button: Do not call me Scorpion.
- Bilingual Bonus: Aside from Japanese, I speak English. The accent is heavy, but I speak very good English.
- Breakout Character: To the point that my creators made me the official mascot of Netherrealm Studios.
- Breath Weapon: Long before Sasuke Uchiha breathed fire from his gullet, I was breathing hellfire on my enemies, reducing them to bones.
- Catchphrase: Three words: "Get over here!", but only if I am successful in catching you with my Spear. I also utter out "Come here!", or when I'm really pissed off, "Get over here, bitch!"
- Cool Mask: I went from your basic ninja mask to an armored guard mask. Sometimes, the motif is that of my namesake, while other times, it is designed like a skull.
- Cosmic Plaything: After I claimed the Hourglass from Kronika, I used its power to revive my family. But no matter what I do, I am powerless to stop Harumi and Satoshi from dying. Then, I discovered the source of my misery: the Titans. They will rue the day that they decide to torment me for their own amusement.
- Driven to Suicide: Not exactly my finest hour. In my tournament outcome, I was seriously contemplating this after my obsession with vengeance upon Quan Chi almost doomed Earthrealm. Instead the thunder god made the Shirai Ryu and myself eternal protectors for Earthrealm.
- Dual Wielding: Starting with the incident where Shang Tsung and Quan Chi joined forces, I began carrying and using a pair of Shirai Ryu ninjato. I am also never without a second kunai.
- Good Is Not Nice: After I was revived, I took in children who lost their family in the Netherrealm War and trained them in the ways of the Shirai Ryu. As Takeda can attest, the training is harsh.
- Good Is Not Soft: I fight for Earthrealm now. I fight for justice and peace, but make no mistake, with the likes of Quan Chi or that mad clown, I will hold nothing back.
- Guest Fighter:
- Sub-Zero, Reptile, Lord Raiden and I were slated for a version of NBA Jam, though we were denied such a placement in the end. I am no basketball player by any stretch of the imagination obviously, so I am not truly bothered.
- I also joined Sub-Zero and his misbegotten older brother in The Grid, a third person arcade exclusive shooting game. Guns are dishonourable to me, but nonetheless I was available there. Why, I have no idea.
- A certain psychic soldier took to using my likeness as a costume in his adventure as well. I am Scorpion, not Kenshi. Even if we are comrades.
- And I haven't forgotten the time I was pulled into the world of superheroes. Right as I was about to finish Sub-Zero. I wasn't amused by that, and wasn't amused any more by this being the second time I came face to face with Superman.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: I really do get around when it comes to who retains my services. I've served the Netherrealm, Raiden, the Elder Gods, even Kronika herself.
- Hellfire: A signature trait of mine. I can use it as an attack or to kill you outright.
- Iconic Item: The kunai, attached to either a length of rope or chain. And I am very good with that weapon.
- Large Ham: I am rather prone to shouting.
- Me's a Crowd: Hahahah...I almost forgot about that Fatality. It's actually one of my favorites. I take the opponent to Hell and summon a horde of clones to maul the opponent. Pity that you couldn't see the end result. It was pretty gruesome.
- Monochromatic Eyes: A distinguishing characteristic whenever I am in undead form.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: I admit that I have...anger issues, with Quan Chi being the most responsible for my ire. I should have showed restraint. Instead, I lashed out and stole the one chance for Liu and the others to be restored.
- '90s Anti-Hero: A neutral anti-hero with a cynical view of the world? I got that to a T.
- Ninja: Kuai Liang and the Lin Kuei are not ninjas.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: It seems that whenever I face off against Tanya, she flirts with me. I know better to deal with a woman whose name is synonymous with treachery.
- Now Buy the Merchandise: Johnny Cage wasn't the first to have an action figure. I and the other 'ninjas' had beaten him to it.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Bi-Han was my obsession for the longest time until his brother showed me the truth. Quan Chi paid for his crimes with his life.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Vengeance-driven revenant, or a specter hell-bent on revenge. As the saying goes, "Tomato, tohmato."
- Papa Wolf:
- Had I won the battle of Armageddon and claimed the prize, my family, along with the Shirai Ryu, was restored. Then Quan Chi kidnapped Satoshi.
- I am also this to Takeda, acting as a Parental Substitute to the boy while his father was away, working to bring the Red Dragon down.
- This also extends to Jax's daughter, Jacqueline Briggs. I have spoken to both Jacqui and her father extensively regarding Takeda's engagement to Jacqui. Once Takeda and Jacqui are wed, she becomes a member of the Shirai Ryu. That means any enemy of the Briggs will be an enemy of the Shirai Ryu. Takeda, you have chosen wisely indeed.
- Pretender Diss: During Kronika's Timequake (damn you, Johnny), I confronted my past self, who was in Kronika's employ. Originally dismissive of the reborn Shirai Ryu, I convinced my revenant self that the Shirai Ryu are indeed worthy.
- Real Men Wear Pink: ...I am quite skilled when it comes to cooking. Chopping, tenderizing, and baking cakes are my specialty.
- Revenge Before Reason: (Sigh) I really need to learn how to control my anger better. Damn you, Quan Chi...
- Series Mascot: Heh-heh. The logo to Netherrealm Studios looks a lot like me. Not going to confirm that...but I won't deny it either.
- Skull for a Head: The most infamous use if this trope was for my Fatality.
- Split Personality: Takeda pointed this out to me. It seems that I have dual personalities; Scorpion being that of vengeance, hatred and wrath, while Hanzo is my humanity and compassion.
- Unstoppable Rage: If I am in my Scorpion persona and on a rampage, it would be best to run.
- Unwitting Pawn: Before Kuai Liang showed me the truth, I had been this to Quan Chi for a long time.
- Wild Card: It's in my nature. I fight not for honor, or for recognition or wealth. I fight for vengeance, plain and simple.