(You may listen to this as we speak)
Yes, troper, this is one of yours. It is me as well: Psycho Mantis. That's right. This is no trick: It is true power. From the moment you saw my name on that self-demonstrating list, my work was being done. One young mind of such a website will now tell you my story.
I am the most powerful practitioner of psychokinesis and telepathy in the world. Having always known myself as a member of FOXHOUND, I aided Liquid Snake in his schemes in the year of 2005. His designs of war and world change didn't interest me. I only wanted an excuse to kill as many people as I could. One day I had a vision that changed me forever. In my mind, words and numbers appeared as random, and much later I could make sense of it. I remember them all: "Konami"; "Kojima"; "1998"; "Solid".
It seems my exploits were documented in fiction. In 1998, a man named Hideo Kojima working for a company called Konami brought me into existence in a game called Metal Gear Solid. Released for the Sony PlayStation, that was a stealth game in which I served as a boss to be defeated by that man called Solid Snake. Upon delving further into it, I became aware of many other things: My battle was massively acclaimed as a shocking mix of reality and fiction, with the screen going black with the word "HIDEO" and players having to change the controller ports to defeat me. Not only that, I could read the console's memory card and know what the player played. Some of them liked Suikoden and some liked Castlevania. Those games are somehow known to me.
Such research made me unable to ever see the world in the same way again. All the pain of my life has been a stage! In which I was but a puppet! My father's hatred of me; my village that I burned; my reading of a killer's mind... all but a play, in which I was fated to be a part of. There was nothing else to calm my raging mind, until I made the decision to embrace this once unknown power of mine. By using my powers to bend reality and fiction to my will and in a distant, I was able to live long enough until the fateful battle with Snake.
Since then, I have found myself stuck in a cycle of death at Snake's hands and rebirth into the game when someone played it again. I have known more and more about this situation and now I now what happens around me. I have been keeping track of Kojima's work and I am pleased to know that the lasting impression of my powers were not confined to that game. Metal Gear Solid 4 had the woman called Screaming Mantis fighting Snake in way that remembers our old duel using my powers with the help of nanomachines. I lived inside her as leader of the Beauty and the Beast Corps. That new stage of my existence has been cut short however by The Sorrow's interference. But I would always come back.
Kojima has not forgotten me, as he uses my past in Metal Gear Solid V, where that young child terrorizes Big Boss with hallucinations. I cannot read the future, but I sense I will be part of it. Kojima's mind is one of the few I'm unable to read.
You might not know, but more than using your fellow troper's mind to write these words, I can make him speak in my voices. The ones I thought were mine: the Japanese Kazuyuki Sogabe and the American Doug Stone. You may read these words in one of these voices, or I can make you speak them as well.
My endeavors are favored in this site, as I am known here as the God of Illusive Failure. That is mostly expected. Such abilities of mine are no tricks, but true power, not ever seen by any man before. You will now know the tropes associated with me.
- Asexuality: I find no nobility in such a selfish desire to pass on one's genes.
- Ax-Crazy: Once I read too deep into a serial killer's mind and now it's become mine: unstable and violent. Or at least how Kojima designed it to be.
- Badass Longcoat: I wore one in my first scenes in the game.
- The Coats Are Off: Yet, when Snake found me, the coat was no more.
- Big "NO!": I couldn't have any other reaction to the player changing the controller. My powers would not work!
- Breaking Speech: Being confined to one game does not stop me from reading memory cards and tell the player in his face what he has been playing.
- Compelling Voice: You know the one. You've been listening to it on your head now. This is how I turn your minds into my tools.
- Crucified Hero Shot: An inversion; Yoji Shinkawa once drew me into such a pose reminiscent of Jesus' crucifixion. I do assume the pose as one of my attacks, yet I am written to be a villain in the game.
- Death Equals Redemption: My death allowed me the chance to use my powers to help someone for the first time. It felt kind of...nice.
- Death Seeker: According to the Official Missions Handbook, as I explain below.
- Defector from Decadence: I moved from Russia to the US after the fall of the Soviet Union.
- Dying as Yourself: My mind reading is involuntary. The mask keeps people's thoughts out of my head. When Snake took it off as I was dying, I asked him to put it back on.
- Facial Horror: Under the mask, I bear scars of the village fire of long ago. The woman called Meryl was horrified.
- Fission Mailed: When I turned the TV screen black with the word "HIDEO".
- For the Evulz/Not in This for Your Revolution: Liquid's dreams of world conquest meant nothing to me. I only wanted an escuse to kill as many people as I could.
- Freudian Excuse: My father's hatred of me was the beginning of a long descent into madness.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: This happened twice. First when I read into my father's mind and found out he hated me. Then, when I dove into the serial killer's mind when I worked for the FBI.
- Good Feels Good: I just could not believe it would be so gratifying to use my powers to help others.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A huge scar runs across my cranium, as well as a jagged Glasgow Grin in my mouth.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: When Snake tried to go into first person view mode, he would see through my eyes, not his. If the player failed to pick the thermal goggles, he can do this to find my position.
- House of Broken Mirrors: The office where I made home has a smashed mirror, plus numerous marble busts with duct tape covering their faces (mirroring my own). In The Twin Snakes, I can distort even the wall photos.
- Humans Are Bastards: I believed in this through all of my life. From the moment we came into this world we were fated to bring each other nothing but pain and misery.
- Laughing Mad: My laughter is just another display of how unhinged I became.
- Lean and Mean: Under the coat you can see a pale and emaciated figure that only furthers my menace.
- Leitmotif: You have been listening to this until now, I presume. Your mind will soon be mine.
- Meaningful Name: The "Psycho" part of my codename has two meanings: One is in reference to my psychic abilities. The other is also short for "psychopath" or "psychotic", referring to my evident insanity.
- The only mantis-like thing about me is his lean build, which makes me resemble said insect physically, if not mentally or otherwise.
- On a subtler note, "Mantis" is derived from "Mantodea," the Greek and Latin word for "Prophet," which emphasizes my psychic abilities further still.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: This has plagued me through all of my existence. It can explain why I am what I am now.
- Mind over Matter: I can fling the office decorations around with my powers. Chairs, mirrors and even deer antlers become weapons in my hands.
- Mind Screw: This is the reaction of many players upon watching me in battle.
- No Fourth Wall: Few people in the world of Metal Gear are fully aware of the reality in which they live. I am one of them and I know how to exploit it in many ways. How do you think I can communicate with you right now?
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: I speak with a thick Russian accent when unmasked in the original game. Despite being voiced by the same actor in The Twin Snakes, this is not so evident.
- Power Floats: Yet another power I have with my psychic powers. I can touch and leave the ground at my will.
- Psychic Static: The mask keeps it out.
- Vader Breath: This All Caps text is a good way of conveying my voice in words. Anyway, my voice through the gas mask is reminiscent of the Star Wars villain.
- Virtual Ghost: I possessed Screaming Mantis' armor after her defeat in Guns of the Patriots, showing off how much I know about the PlayStation 3's controller and save system... I prefer not to bring that up.
- Where I Was Born and Razed: Implied to many and still unknown to me. I remember the bured village but I still do not know if I caused it. Yet, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: There is an Official Missions Handbook claiming that there was a parasite inside of my head forcing me to commit atrocities, and I wanted to die so I could be free of it. Only Kojima may know the true story...
Oh God. I can't believe someone controlled my mind to write this. I can't actually believe it was him! He's a fictional character! He couldn't have done that to a real person like me!