- Subverted: Lightning McQueen, who has been sentenced to community service for destroying the road in Radiator Springs, takes off for California when Mater takes his parking boot off without first hooking him up to a road-paving machine called Bessie, only to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere (his gas was siphoned while he was impounded). Defied, too, by the town gang until he finishes paving the road.
- Played straight earlier, though, when McQueen's pit crew, led by "Not Chuck", up and quits when they get fed up with his "one-man show" attitude.
- In The Iron Giant, Agent Mansley tries to do this when he realized that his attempt to destroy the Giant was going to get himself killed as well. This gave us this hilariously great exchange:Mansley: You mean we're all going...?
General: To die, Mansley. For our country.
Mansley: Screw our country! I wanna live!
- Earlier in the film, Dean has this reaction when he realizes Hogarth is asking him to shelter the eponymous Giant — he promptly dumps out his coffee, walks calmly into his house, and locks the door. Half an hour later, Hogarth is still trying to convince him to come out.
- Near the end of The Prince of Egypt, as the Jews are leaving, you can see several Egyptian soldiers drop their weapons and join them.
- Bartok the Bat in Anastasia, Rasputin's Minion with an F in Evil, decides to get the Hell out of Dodge before the Final Battle. Prior to this, he vainly tried to convince Rasputin to forget revenge and Anastasia and get a life. (Of course, being undead, that might not have been feasible for Rasputin.) In the end Bartok just leaves because he's savvy enough to realize that this can't end well for Rasputin. This proves to be a wise decision. He also gets a chick-bat that comes right outta nowhere. Because karma will get you laid.
- Corpse Bride (also an Ironic Echo):Lord Everglot: Fetch my musket!
The Butler: Fetch your own musket. I'm off!
- In The Emperor's New Groove, Yzma's potions turn the soldiers chasing Kuzco and Pacha into various animals. As Yzma yells at them to chase the duo, one soldier states "Uh, I've been turned into a cow. Can I go home?" Uncharacteristically, Yzma politely allows him to, asking if anyone else wants to opt out as well. They choose not to.
- Ramon pulls this in Happy Feet 2. While trying to console Mumble's son, Erik, Ramon remarks "For two wild mavericks like us who cannot be tamed.....THIS! PLACE! SUCKS!!!" and then immediately declares he's going home.
- Sarge and the two other remaining green army men pull one of these in Toy Story 3 since they think they'll be the first of Andy's toys to be thrown away. Granted, Sarge justifies it by reminding the other toys that Andy has already outgrown them, but still... It also doubles as a Brick Joke, since they end up at Sunnyside Daycare.
- During Ratatouille, when Linguini reveals to his kitchen staff that he hasn't been really cooking, but controlled by Remy, they all wordlessly toss their aprons down, and quit on the spot.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie:
- SpongeBob: Don't worry, Mr. Krabs. Patrick, Squidward, and I...
Squidward: Pass. [leaves]
- He later tries to escape from Plankton's bucket helmet army, but they close in on him and force a bucket on his head (offscreen), turning him into one of the slaves.
- During the climactic fight in Peter Pan, Mr. Smee is seen loading his bags into a lifeboat, knowing that Hook is just going to lose again, and is also fed up with his obsession with Peter. The other pirates join him, but only because they have fallen overboard and landed on the lifeboat.
- Shrek 2:
- After Shrek and Fiona get off the carriage and the townspeople get shocked:Donkey: Uh... Why don't you guys go ahead. I'll park the car.
- Subverted later when an argument between Shrek and King Harold escalates:Donkey: Uh... I gotta go to the bathroom.
Waiter: Dinner is served!
Donkey: Never mind. I can hold it.
- Fiona in a heartbreaking way when she's had enough of her parent's prejudice against Shrek decides to cut her parents out of her life and return to the swamp with Shrek.
- After Shrek and Fiona get off the carriage and the townspeople get shocked:
- Done twice in The Rugrats Movie. After Tommy's preoccupation with trying to protect his baby brother Dil pushes their buttons one too many times, Phil and Lil decide to leave Tommy and Dil in the woods, Chuckie coming along for the same reasons. Granted, it was Phil and Lil's fault in the first place they were stuck out there and karma does bite them back. The second time is Tommy's Heroic Breakdown where he decides to just leave Dil with the monkeys after his buttons are pushed. Thankfully, he reconsiders.
- In Pinocchio, Jiminy Cricket is more than a little pissed off to see Pinocchio smoking and playing pool on Pleasure Island with Lampwick, who then starts laughing at the cricket's expense:Jiminy: Go on, laugh, make a jackass of yourself! I'm through! This is the end! [storms off in a huff]
Pinocchio: But Jiminy, Lampwick says a guy only lives once.
Jiminy: Lampwick, hmph!
Lampwick: Come on, come on! Let him go.
- In Beauty and the Beast, Belle goes against the Beast's orders and enters the west wing, where the Beast's room is. When he catches her near his enchanted rose, the Beast rages at her. She decides that in spite of her promise, she's not willing to stay at the castle any longer.
Gaston: Belle! Maurice!
- Later, when Gaston and Lefou come to collect Maurice (who, unfortunately for them, has just left to find the castle and rescue Belle) to take him to the asylum. Lefou tries to duck out, but Gaston orders him to stand watch, believing Belle and her father will come back eventually.
Lefou: Oh, well. Guess it's not gonna work after all.
(tries to leave, but Gaston grabs him)
Gaston: They have to come back sometime, and when they do, we'll be ready for them. Le Fou, (throws him in the snow) don't move from that spot until Belle and her father come home.
Lefou: But...but I...aw, nuts!
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman gives us the smartest mook ever: after spotting Batman rummaging around in a room (who gives him a rather displeased look), he quietly leaves the room and won't admit to seeing anything out of place when his buddy asks.
- The LEGO Movie: Abraham Lincoln's reaction when Emmet fails his inspirational speech.Lincoln: A house divided against itself would be better than this! [flies away on his rocket chair]
- Disney's The Return of Jafar, the sequel to Aladdin, turns this into a whole musical number, "I'm Looking Out For Me", when Iago finally gets fed up with Jafar bossing him around.
- In The Lion King (1994), Zazu says this in part of "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" as he's getting quite tired of Simba's childish behavior. Of course, he doesn't follow through with it."If this is where the monarchy is heading,
count me out!
Out of service, out of Africa,
I wouldn't hang about!"
- The better example is with the hyenas. Some of them walk out on Scar after he betrays them, though not before killing and eating him!
- In Hercules, Phil walks out on Hercules after the latter refuses to listen to the fact that Megara was working with Hades.
- Also, the Titans attempted to walk out on Hades' scheme to take over Mt. Olympus as soon as Hercules frees Zeus from their imprisonment. Hercules is able to blow them up before they could leave alive.
- A few examples in Inside Out
- When initially confronted with broccoli pizza.Disgust: That's it! I'm done! (Walks away from the console.)
- After a failure of a day trying to keep Riley functioning without Joy or Sadness, Fear attempts to leave via the memory tube. It doesn't go as planned.Fear: Sure, it's the coward's way out, but this coward's gonna survive! (activates the memory tube, only for it to clog with him and all of that day's memory orbs, ultimately spitting everything out.)
Disgust: Emotions can't quit, genius.
- In the accompanying short Riley's First Date?, when Mrs. Anderson tries to probe Riley with "cool words the kids say."Disgust: Ugh, this is just embarrassing! (leaves the console) I can't! I c-can't!
- When initially confronted with broccoli pizza.
- In Astro Boy, President Stone fails to learn from experience and places the Red Core into a robot and activates it. One of his soldiers immediately runs away when the robot doesn't obey Stone's first command.
- In Kung Fu Panda, Po actually feels terrified and runs away from the Jade Palace when he hears of Tai Lung's escape from prison. This is justified because he lacked any real training experience at the time.
- In Winnie the Pooh (2011), once it become clear that Owl had made a mistake with the note Christopher Robin left, he promptly runs away.
- The Sword in the Stone: "BLOW ME TO BERMUDA!!!"
- Robin Hood, along with Maid Marian, Friar Tuck and Little John leave the archery tournament when a pillar holding two elephant guards collapses.
- Madagascar: The plot is kicked off when Marty, tired and bored of being an average zoo zebra, leaves Central Park Zoo to experience a day in the wild. Alex the lion, Melman the giraffe, Gloria the hippopotamus and the chimps leave later to find him and fling poop at Tom Wolfe respectively.
- Alice in Wonderland: Alice leaves the unbirthday party after the White Rabbit gets kicked out. This proves to be a bad decision when she gets lost in Tulgey Wood and encounters strange looking animals such as momeraths, a broom dog, an accordion owl and instrument frogs.
- Pocahontas: Meeko has a habit of doing this, especially when being chased by Percy. Also, Ben and Lon when Indians attack the camp.
- Piglet's Big Movie: Rabbit, Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore when the bees break out of the fake hive.
- The Lion King 1½: Timon and Pumbaa, during the Be Prepared scene, when they first see the goosestepping hyenas.
- Horton Hears a Who!: Morton, when Kangaroo rallies the jungle animals to attack Horton.
- My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) has Grubber leaving the throne room when Tempest Shadow talks to the Storm King.
- Flounder and Ariel do this in the middle of the Under the Sea song in The Little Mermaid.
- All of the grasshoppers (except for Hopper) in A Bug's Life do this when the ants, whom they have bullied and intimidated for so long, finally stood up against them.Hopper: Where are you going? They're just ants!
- Osmosis Jones: Played for Laughs when the virus Thrax stumbles into Frank's Subconscious Room where he's bombarded with imagery of Frank' bad memories. He's weirded out at first, then becoming increasingly unnerved, before running out in a panic.
- The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part: President Business responds to the DUPLO Aliens invading Bricksburg by going golfing and leaving the heroes to fend for themselves. It becomes a Brick Joke when he returns at the end, after the main conflict of the movie has been resolved.
Screw This Im Outta Here / Animated Films