No context examples:
Griffith: Among thousands of comrades and ten thousand enemies, only you...only you...only you made me forget my dream. I sacrifice."
- Guts and company rescue Griffith from a year of torture. Unfortunately, Griffith is so broken by the experience that he triggers the Behelit and sends him and his comrades to the God Hand's dimension. When the God Hand give him a Deal with the Devil, Griffith is more than willing to take it up:
- From Episode 7 of Black★Rock Shooter, this line hits like a bombshell:
- Yuu Koutari: "Your greeting is rather late, Mato Kuroi. I see my Strength has been relying on you... My name is Yuu Koutari. Strength is down here right now, just as you are."
- Casshern Sins episode 13: Braiking Boss gives off two Wham Lines.Seems like your memory is coming back. You were bound to find out sooner or later. Now you can take responsibility for what you've done with this planet. (towards Ohji) Isn't that right, Professor?
There's no need for two Suns. That is why I gave the order... for you to kill Luna.
- Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi:
- Murasakiiro no Qualia: Chapter 8"A call that should have been impossible... yet I recognized the voice who told me that Yukari would die. The person at the other end of the receiver... was me."
- Oreimo manga, chapter 25: "I'M... DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH MY SISTERRRRRR!!" If you've read the novel or seen the anime, you'll know that things are cleared up, but since the manga chapter ends on a Cliffhanger...
- In Gonna be the Twin-Tail!!, Souji Mitsuka is a twintail fanboy who normally becomes a superpowered, twin-tailed little girl. In Episode 11, he finds himself turned into a girl full time and his superpowered form grows gradually weaker. At the end of the episode, he figures out why:
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Stocking: You know how how our heavenly weapons kill ghosts and shit but don't work on people, like, at all. I wonder what they do to angels?
- In the The Stinger of the series itself, Stocking casually asks Panty this question:
** Which leads to Stocking cutting Panty up into 666 pieces.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica:Kyubey (Episode 6): Oh, jeez. I never would have thought you capable of throwing your friend off the bridge. That wasn't a sane act, Madoka! note
Kyubey (Episode 6): You people are all the same. I don't get it. Why do you people care so much where your souls are?
Kyubey (Episode 8): In this country they call girls shoujo, and for girls who are growing up to be witches (majo), it's logical to call them "magical girls" (Mahou Shoujo). Sometimes translated as: If girls are what young women are called, doesn't it make sense to call young witches Magical Girls?
Homura (Episode 8): I will not allow your plan to succeed, Kyubey...no, Incubator.
Madoka (Episode 11): Homura...I'm sorry.note
- Kyubey gets a lot of these. Practically every episode after the third has at least one Wham Line from Kyubey.
- He's not the only one though:Kyoko: (Episode 6): What the hell is this? [Sayaka]'s dead!
Madoka: (Episode 12): I want to erase every witch before they are born!
- The Rebellion Story has three, each more shocking than the last.Homura: I'm sure that this place is a witch's barrier.
Homura: Since when did I become a witch?
- And the one that turns everything on it's head...
- Stellvia of the Universe, episode 11:Yayoi: Please go find Shippon or she'll be destroyed by Ms. Machida!
- Tenchi Muyo!, Episode 6:
- Washu: What I think is that's no way to talk to your mother, Ryoko!
- And episode 9:Sasami: I'm not the real Sasami!
- Same episode, wham correction:Tsunami: Sasami didn't really die, Princess Ayeka.
- Yuri!!! on Ice has one in episode 10 that changes how you see Victor and Yuri's relationship.Drunk Yuri: "You'll do it, won't you Victor? Be my coach!"
Yuri: "After the Finals, let's end this."
- There is also a big one in episode 11
Victor: "I'm going to be your coach from now on. You're going to get to the Grand Prix Finals, and you're going to win."
- There's even one in the first episode.
- In Shoujotachi Wa Kouya O Mezasu, Sayuki's brother shows up near the end of episode ten to thank them for helping her out. He then mentions that she was developing this game to help him with a debt, something she never mentioned to any of them before.
- Bartok the MagnificentLudmilla: ''And none of you will ever leave this room alive."
- Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture ShowEddy's Brother: Just for old time's sake, let's... play Uncle.
- The Emperor's New GrooveYzma: And do you want to know something else? I've never liked your spinach puffs! NEVER! [Played for Laughs of course.]
- Horton Hears a Who!Kangaroo: That was beautiful... ROPE HIM! CAGE HIM! AND THROW THAT DUMB SPECK IN THE POT OF BOILING BEEZLE NUT OIL!
Judge Hopkins: Lies! You were speaking to the dead!
- Two in quick succession, during a flashback to the witch's trial. The first being the "witch" crying like a little girl. Then:
Courtney: So I was thinking maybe we could...catch a movie some time. Nothing scary.
- Much later, and Played for Laughs:
- The Princess and the FrogTiana: My daddy never did get what he wanted... but he had what he needed!
- The SpongeBob SquarePants MovieSpongeBob: Sorry to rain on your parade, Plankton.Plankton: Oh don't worry, my parade will be plenty dry under my umbrella!(drops a bucket helmet onto King Neptune)
Karen: Now activating bucket helmet brain control devices.
- And earlier:
- Winnie-the-PoohOwl: Our dear friend Christopher Robin has been captured by a creature called the Backson!
- The final line of chapter 11 of Watchmen. Nite Owl and Rorschach have confronted Ozymandias and are prepared to stop his evil plan, only to find out, the hard way, that Ozymandias was prepared first:Veidt: "Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Did you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there was the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago.
Nite Owl: Rorschach, I think we're in bad trouble. The person behind this, the person we're up against... I think it's Adrian.
- Also while Nite Owl and Rorschach are looking through Ozymandias' office for clues about who might be targeting heroes, having been unable to speak with Ozymandias themselves.
Comedian: "Jesus Christ Sally, can't a guy talk to his, y'know, his old friend's daughter?" The wham line comes when the listener realizes the reason for the stutter is because he didn't intend to say "old friend" at all.
- Blackest Night: Thaal Sinestro of Korugar. Destiny awaits.
- War of the Green Lanterns: "Thaal Sinestro of Korugar. You have the ability to overcome great fear. You have been chosen. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."
- Green Lantern #12: "Hal Jordan will become the greatest Black Lantern."
- Suicide Squad: "Frank Rock died in 1945."
- This one's especially painful. It was supposed to kick off a new story arc, but the series was cancelled prematurely, which caused it to be the last line in the series.
- Legion of Super-Heroes: "Go for your master... for DARKSEID!"
- Aquaman: "In a fit of rage, seeking revenge, Aquaman killed Black Manta's father."
- Flashpoint: "What did I do? Oh, Barry. My idol. My inspiration. That's the beauty of all this madness. I didn't do anything. Not a thing. You see, it turns out... You're the villain today."
- "You're Thomas Wayne."
- Batman The Long Halloween: "I am Holiday."
- Also, "You both know, don't you? There were two Holiday Killers."
- Dark Victory: "Nine of you are safe."
- The Dark Knight Strikes AgainBatman: [to the New Joker] So... it's you. I changed the abort code the night I fired you... Dick Grayson.
- Batman and Robin #12: "They're all jokes."
- Identity Crisis #6:Zatanna: NAMTAB POTS!
- Infinite Crisis #1:
- Kingdom Come:Norman: He had not turned his back at us. He stands in the sky... faith rewarded. (vision of screaming Superman, which changes Norman's mood and reaction) ... dear God. The threat of Armageddon hasn't ended. It's just begun...
- Krypton No More:Supergirl: I thought we'd come to this someday! Well, now that we have, I've got to tell you, Superman There is NO planet Krypton! Moreover, Clark There never WAS!
- In The New 52 version of WonderWoman: BOOM.
- Justice League #50 (New 52):Batman: It said there were three.
- DC Rebirth:Wally West: We're being watched.
- New Super-ManChing Lung: Without me, Super-Man Zero, there would be no you. Without me, there would be no superheroes. For I am the very beginning.
- Thunderbolts: At the end of the first issue, our heroes reveal their true identities."Instead, I shall wear a different mask...a mask with darker intentions...the mask of Helmut, 13th Baron Zemo and the leader of the Masters of Evil!"
- House of M: "No more mutants."
- Avengers vs. X-Men: "No more Phoenix."
- As the run that pretty much reshaped the X-Men's canon, Grant Morrison's New X-Men naturally has a few.
- Issue #115:
Fantomex: "And it's Weapon Ten, not X."
- Issue #129:
- Issue #146:
Beast: "...call me SUBLIME."
- Issue #152:
- Wolverine Vol. 2 issue #75: "SCHLUNK!" The sound of bone claws tearing through Wolverine's skin.
- Wolverine in X-Men 138: The Hellfire Club defeats the X-men, and Wolverine gets mass-increased until he crashes through the floor and winds up deep underground. He rises from the sewer, livid, and utters the line that changes him from secondary character into cult figure...
- X-Men's Messiah Complex is practically built on this.Lady Deathstrike: "Come to me, children. Come to Deathstrike."Wolverine: "Negative. The Marauders don't have the baby. One of our side has her. An X-Man took her from Cooperstown."Cyclops: "Charles, you trained me, Let me do my job."Also from Cyclops: "Assemble X-Force."Future Mutant: "Yeah. You'll live. Leastways... until something else kills you." Full page showing Cable shot and Bishop aiming at the mutant baby.Mystique: "I've always been good with children."Rockslide: "We deserve a piece of the ac—...tion? I take it back."
- X-Men #300
- The Amazing Spider-Man #248, "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man." "You see, Tim has leukemia and the doctors give him only a few weeks to live."
- Another Spider-Man example with a huge impact on the entire mythos and which comes as a revelation not just to the readers, but to the protagonist as well, from The Amazing Spider-Man #257:Mary Jane: You don't have to make up another one of your phony excuses, Peter! Not now—! I know the truth! The real truth!Peter: What are you talking about?Mary Jane: I've known your secret for years! Up until now, I've always thought I could cope with it if I ever had to experience it firsthand — but I can't! I can't! I just can't cope with the fact that Peter Parker is secretly Spider-Man!
- And then, of course, there's the two words that, if avoided, could have saved a storyline: "Do it.".
- From The Amazing Spider-Man #698: "No... I'm Peter Parker."
- From Superior Spider-Man #19: "Gentlemen, I give you Alchemax. Long may she stand."
- The Jackal drops one in Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy #3: "Please, Peter. This is darker than red. It's more of a... scarlet."
- Quite possibly the biggest one in all of Spider-Man and quite possibly all of comics wasn't so much a line, but a sound effect: SNAP!
- Another Spider-Man example with a huge impact on the entire mythos and which comes as a revelation not just to the readers, but to the protagonist as well, from The Amazing Spider-Man #257:
- Spider-MenMysterio: MYSTERIO AVATAR ACTIVATED.
Ultimate Mysterio: Mysterio avatar activated.
- The Punisher
- DaredevilKirsten McDuffie: Will you state your name for the record?
Matt Murdock: Absolutely. My name is Daredevil.
Ikari: Try the red one.
- During #25 of Mark Waid's run, Matt fights with Bullseye's new enforcer, Ikari, who was splashed with the same chemical that blinded him and gave him his radar sense. Matt attempts to use his experience to his advantage. That officially ends with this:
- Young Avengers/Runaways Civil War: I want you to die.
- Oh god, Runaways.Alex: "I just have to do one thing first."Karolina: "What's that?"Alex: "Tell you how sorry I am. Really."Xavin: "Chase... ran away. I believe he had a disagreement with Nico about what to do with Gert's body."Ultron: "Astounding. I anticipated your defeat of Doom, yet I was 99% certain you would be unable to damage him badly enough to uncover that he was merely one of my androids. Truly, you are my greatest creation."
- Marvel 2099: "Thor is dead. I know. I was there."
- In the Everything Burns crossover between The Mighty Thor and Journey into Mystery:Surtur's Herald: Leah of Hel knows his (Loki's) character better than her own.
- Incredible Hulk #600: "The Good Doctor is out. The Bad Doctor is in."
- Secret Avengers has one by the end of the fifth issue.
Forson: I never thought I'd live to see the day.
- Issue #5
: Mockingbird's dead. And so are you.
- Issue #13
- From HungerGalactus/Gah Lak Tus fusion:: Galactus... HUNGERS!
- In Issue 3 of Ultimates 3:
- First issue of Captain America: Steve Rogers ends with one:Captain America: Hail HYDRA.
Star Wars (Various Publishers):
- Knights of the Old Republic:Elbee: "That was not the Mandalorian that broke my hand."
- When Rohlan Dyre returned from picking up the unconscious Demagol, his weight was 17 kilos lower. And has not been seen taking off his helmet during the following 37 issues.
- Dark Times: In "A Spark Remains", Beyghor Sahdett convinces the group to try and assassinate Darth Vader. Dass Jennir eventually agrees and brings Kai Hudorra in:Hudorra: You know he's lying, don't you, Jennir?Dass: Yes. I've known for some time. But I also know his reputation with a lightsaber. I knew I couldn't take him myself.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader
Darth Vader: Did you bring me anything of value, bounty hunter?
- Issue 6. Granted, the Wham Line is about something that everyone should know by now, but it brings new context to it.
Boba Fett: Not much. Just his name. Skywalker.
- 100 Bullets #91: "Rothstein is dead. The connection is cut. No more attaches, no more revenge, no more hundred bullets. Graves' game is over."
- Cerebus: "Something fell..." The second time this line is spoken, you experience the author's schizoid break. Wham.
- Transmetropolitan: One percent.
- Planetary: "I'm the Fourth Man."
- Scott Pilgrim has two in book 5:Knives: He cheated on us, Ramona. Both of us.
Ramona: (to Scott) Good job. Great. You actually made me think that you were a decent person. But you're just another evil ex waiting to happen, aren't you?
- And later:
Kim: Simon? The guy from high school? You beat the crap out of him and said we should date. He was 5 feet tall and didn't stand a chance.
- In book 6, when Scott talks to Kim about the past, and she reveals that he's only been a hero in his own mind, and is in fact a huge asshole:
- Preacher: Mom?
- "Herr Starr? Your time is up, Herr Starr."
- "And that was how they killed him, covered in the ashes of his dearest friend."
- The Sandman: "He's going to have to kill her."
- "I've quit."
- "Take my hand."
- "I have to kill my son."
- Animal Man #15: "I can see you!"
- The last page of Ex Machina #1: "If I were a real hero, I would've been in time to stop the first plane."
- Swamp Thing: "He isn't Alec Holland. He never will be Alec Holland. He never was Alec Holland."
- Excalibur #80:recording of Stryfe, as his base's self-destruct activates: Congratulations. You're human. For the next eight seconds.
- My Little Pony Micro Series: Interestingly it wasn't "I'm Jade Singer," but rather Twilight's response of "I know." The story provides a neat twist on the typical "bitter old celebrity who has gone into seclusion" plot and plays with the readers who can tell where the story is heading from early on.
- BIONICLE issue 15: "You are not the first Toa".
- Y: The Last Man: There's quite a number of them.
Yorick: The reason why I'm the last man on earth... is monkey shit?
- Yorick's reaction to why he survived the plague. And it's rather hilarious.
Dr. Mann: We repaired what we could but I'm afraid motherhood isn't an option anymore.
- The aftermath of what happened in Hong Kong.
Yorick, the 17th: He escaped...
- Book 10, Whys And Wherefores are full of them, with the most notable one...
- Sonic the Comic Issue #82 has this line from the Kintobor computer;Kintobor computer: Amy, I'm picking up really wacky readings from the Star Post!
- From Paperinik New Adventures:
Evronian Scientist: "The Emperor will keep his promise! You can count on it doctor Xari!"
- Changing everything you thought had happened in the first book of the Xadhoom Trilogy:
Everett Ducklair: "The unit denominated One has ceased its functions."
- From the start of the second series:
- Anya's Ghost:Dima: "We're looking for a murder by a person named Emily Reilly, right?"
- Archie Comics' Sonic the HedgehogNicole: "Stop it?"Eggman: "Fix it?"Both: "It's too late!"*world blows up*.
- The Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye: Throughout the Shadowplay arc, there's been an unnamed Senator helping Orion Pax. At the end of the storyline, he's arrested by the corrupt senate and taken to The Institute. Two guards are talking about what's being done to him, and then we get this.Guard: What's his name?
Guard 2: Senator Shockwave.
Minimus Ambus: I was born Minimus Ambus. I am Minimus Ambus. But you all know me - you've always known me - as Ultra Magnus.
- Issue 16: "That was a bad fall. Need a hand?" - Pharma.
- Issue 18:
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- Volume One
Campion Bond: Oh, yes. Yes, it's a hybrid all right. Anthrax and streptococcus, if I remember correctly.
- Volume Two
Harry Lime: You can call me M. When my back is turned you can even call me Mother. But Harry? Harry died a long time ago in the sewers under Vienna.Mina: Oh dear God, Bob Cherry is Harry Lime!Jimmy: Of course, M16 used to have a different name. The Ministry of Love.
- The Black Dossier
Ron Weasley: Please Harry, we're your friends!
- Century: Volume 3:
- Ronin:Mr. Kojima: In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd think I was back in Tokyo, in my youth watching my favorite television adventure program.
- Hellboy In Hell: "Haven't you heard? Someone went down there and cut his throat."
- Fun Home has this wham line just after main protagonist Allison comes out.Helen Bechdel: Your father has had affairs. With other men . . . And boys. . . .
- Back to Brooklyn:Penny Saetta: Who did you think was holding the camera?
- In W.I.T.C.H., Irma's "You're not my mother!". This is how the readers learn that Anna Lair is Irma's stepmother.
- Circles: From Issue 1, when Paulie asks who Doug has bad feelings for,Doug: I have bad feelings about the guy who got you sick. (with HIV)
- Calvin and Hobbes: "Okay, quitter! Go home."
- Bloom County sometimes has these, and usually plays them for laughs.Fundamentally Oral! Bill: PENGUIN LUST! Nothing but urges from HELL!
- From Drabble:Norman: I never thought to ask you, Echo, what are you doing at this wedding?
Norma/Echo: Oh, I'm related to the bride.
Norman: What a coincidence. I'm also related to the bride.
[cue simultaneous Oh, Crap! looks]
- Funky Winkerbean: "That's because I was the one sending those texts to you."
- Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
- Clue: Mr. Green, who was assumed to be a Straight Gay throughout the movie, loudly announces this to his boss: "I'm gonna go home and sleep with my wife."
- Evil Dead (2013): The Stinger provides a surprise cameo.Ash: Groovy. (Turns and looks at camera)
- Star Trek Beyond gets possibly the biggest wham line in the entire series:Scotty: The nacelles... they're gone!
- 28 Days Later gives us the chilling, "I promised them women."
- America's Sweethearts: "I don't CARE about Gwen!"
- American Pie: "And this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute in my pussy."
- Black Sunday: Kabakov and Corley search the hotel room of deceased terrorist Fasil, looking for a clue to where his fellow terrorists plan to strike. Kabakov finds an obvious answer on a magazine cover:"What exactly is this Super Bowl?"
- Carlito's Way:
"Hey, remember me? Benny Blanco from the Bronx?"
- Carlito has killed the Tagliaccis' men and is ready to hop on a train to leave his life of crime behind. Cue Benny Blanco from the Bronx, a minor gangster that Carlito ran into earlier in the film.
- Hard Candy: "Aaron told me you did it before he killed himself.
- The House of the Devil: "You're not the babysitter?"
- "The reason I knew inception was possible was because I did it to her first. I did it to my own wife."
- Also, "How did we end up here?"
- Juice: "I am crazy, and I don't give a fuck".
- James Bond:
- Hostel: "Pay me? I pay THEM!"
- Kung Pow! Enter the Fist: "The Evil Council... are aliens from France!"
- Love Actually: Juliet watches the wedding movie her husband's friend made for them and realises the camera is only pointed at her.
- Tootsie: In-universe example. Michael Dorsey, as Dorothy Michaels, as Emily Kimberly on the soap Southwest General, reveals himself to his cast members and audience during a Live Episode by revealing his character is his character's long-lost twin:Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels: "I'm Edward Kimberly"!
- Man of the Year: "I did not win the election. It was a computer error".
- Den Osynlige (but clumsily ruined in its Foreign Remake, The Invisible): "I'm alive!"
- The Others: "Is that how she killed you?"
- Paranormal Activity 4: "He looks just like his mother."
- Total Recall (1990):
"Howdy, Quaid. If you're watching this, that means that Kuato is dead, and you led us to him."
- After following video messages from his former self, Hauser, Douglas Quaid finds the resistance on Mars. Unfortunately, Cohaagen's men find them too and kill many of them, including the leader, Kuato. Another video message from Hauser explains why:
- Training Day:Jake: ... you've been planning this all day.
- The Visit:
"Those aren't your grandparents."
- Becca and Tyler implore their mother on Skype to pick them up from their grandparents' house. Once the kids give their mother a good look at their grandparents, she delivers a bombshell:
- Wanted: "You're my son."
- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?Blanche: I watched you get out of the car and...I wanted to run you down. Crush you.
- When a Stranger Calls: "Jill, this is sergeant Sacker. Listen to me. We've traced the call... it's coming from inside the house."
- Witness for the Prosecution has two: "You didn't do it alone," followed shortly by "I knew he was guilty!"
- Sunshine:Icarus: Fire in the oxygen garden.Icarus: Five crew members.
- The Village: "Do your very best not to scream."
- Michael Clayton: Karen Crowder is confronted by the Not Quite Dead title character, who promises to stay quiet about her crimes for $10 million. She agrees, only for him to drop this bombshell:
- Oblivion (2013):
- "I'm your wife."
- "No. We are not an effective team."
- Pitch Black:Riddick: Not her... her.Riddick: You know I am? You don't know anything about me. I will leave you here.
- Rebecca: "I hated her!"
- Wham Lines have made moments in professional wrestling history:Scott Hall: You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here... You want a war? You're gonna get one.Hulk Hogan: Mean Gene, the first thing you need to do is tell these people to shut up if you wanna hear what I gotta say!
- And have made stars:"Stone Cold" Steve Austin: You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16...Austin 3:16 says "I just whipped your ass"!Triple H: All these people talk about being students of the game. I AM the fucking game!! No one eats, sleeps or breathes this business more than me!!!The Miz: I'd rather you all hate me for who I am than love me for something I'm not!
- They've launched major angles:
- Who Ran Over Austin?
- Who Took Out Michaels?Shawn Michaels: It was you, Hunter.Triple H: You're damn right it was me, Shawn! You're DAMN. RIGHT.
- Which had a Wham Response.
- The Invasion begins...
- ...and escalates...
- And at invasion's end, a new era begins:Ric Flair: Did you know when Shane and Stephanie sold their stock to that consortium, that consortium - WHHOOO!! (dances in the ring) - the consortium WAS ME!! And now you and I are limousine ridin', jet-flyin', kiss-stealin', wheelin'-dealin', son-of-a-guns!! And you know why? Because we're partners!
- Drastic times call for drastic measures.Takes off the Mankind mask, rips open the tattered, bloodied Mankind button-down shirt and tie to reveal a familiar t-shirt, shocking Triple H
- A honest man has enough:
- Vince finally loses it.Vince McMahon: I'm not going to let Ric Flair KILL what I created! Because...I'm going to...KILL what I CREATED! I'm gonna KILL IT!! I'm going to KILL MY creation! I'm going to INJECT the WWF with a LETHAL DOSE of poison! If anybody is gonna kill MY creation, I'M gonna do it![swivels his chair around to reveal the logo of the New World Order]Vince McMahon: Me... and the... N... W... O...
- A Final Battle begins a year-long war.
- A Champion's Victory Speech and DesertionCM Punk: The greatest thing the devil ever did was make you people believe he didn't exist... and you're looking at him right now! I AM THE DEVIL HIMSELF! And all of you stupid, mindless people fell for it!
- The host of WrestleMania 27 reveals himself:If ya smell! What The Rock! Is cookin'!
The Rock: There is one man who the Rock has to see face-to-face. A guy who I met. A guy who I thought was a cool guy. Wished him well, happy for his success. When the Rock leaves, he comes in and out of the blue, eventually, he starts talking trash about the Rock. I don't know why and I don't care but I'm back now. You might have heard of him; his name is John Cena.
- And said host then declares a challenge to the only one on his level:
John Cena: Hear it? Hear it, feel it, see it! There are people standing in the ceiling not because they want us to talk, but because they WANT. A. MATCH.[...]
- After WrestleMania 27, a Once in a Lifetime challenge:
- Houston has a problem when Hell Freezes Over...
- The project evolves into a revolution.Jimmy Jacobs: This project is over. The Age of the Fall has just begun.
- The joke is on the ECW fans.
- Who will Taker bury alive?
- The Higher Power reveals himself:Vince McMahon: It's ME, Austin!!!!
- Every Hell in a Cell match booking prior to 2009 outside of WrestleMania.
- A final match with one last catch...Triple H: Hell in a Cell? Alright, Hell in a Cell, you got a deal. But one stipulation.Cactus Jack: You name it.
- To wit, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.Vickie Guerrero: When I was really, really mad at you, I did something that you might not like.Edge: OK, I understand that. Wha... what did you do?Vickie Guerrero: I reinstated The Undertaker.
- A final match with one last catch...
- The second Summer of Punk begins...CM Punk: July 17th is the day my contract with World Wrestling Entertainment comes to an end... That means when the clock strikes midnight and the 17th becomes the 18th, Sunday bleeds into Monday, I'm leaving. And trust me when I tell you, I am leaving with the WWE Championship.
- And in closing...
- A signal of the changing of the guard...
- New Year's Revolution 2006. John Cena survives the elimination chamber but...Vince McMahon: This individual is cashing in his Money in the Bank privilege that he earned at WrestleMania.Joey Styles: No...
- D-Generation X begins with Shawn Michaels Breaking the Fourth Wall.
- A man foreshadows the beginning of an invasion...
- A champion demands respect...
- A battle for Best in the World gets personal.
- A new champion reveals his true motive:
- The biggest rematch in WrestleMania history is set up...
- A voice of reason unites the family
Linda McMahon:: The only way to garner respect from people is not, Vince, by yelling and screaming or, Steph, by pitching a fit. It's by taking action.Comforts J.R. by the armKicks J.R. in the balls.
- And of course, the one line that changed the face of the industry forever...Vince McMahon: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Last night on Monday Night Raw, the WWE presented a special tribute show, recognizing the career of Chris Benoit. However, now some 26 hours later, the facts of this horrific tragedy are now apparent. Therefore, other than my comments, there will be no mention of Mr. Benoit's name tonight. On the contrary, tonight's show will be dedicated to everyone who has been affected by this terrible incident. This evening marks the first step of the healing process. Tonight, WWE performers will do what they do better than anyone else in the world: entertain you.
- This announcement.
- The Yes Movement changes the Game...Daniel Bryan:note I'm sorry. I didn't um, I misspoke earlier. That's not exactly all that I want. Because as much as these people want to see me fight you at WrestleMania, what they really want to see is me fighting for the World Heavyweight Championship. So here is what we really want. If I beat you at WrestleMania, I get added to the World Heavyweight Championship match so that then the main event will be Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan!!Triple H, enraged, rushes down the ramp being held back by security.
- But the Authority has one last trick...
- On April 6, 2014, at WrestleMania 30, the unthinkable happened:
Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of this match... Brock Lesnar!
- And for those who didn't hear it the first time...
Paul Heyman: Brock is the 1 in 21-1!
- And just to hammer it in...
- A shocking face/heel turn, and the genesis of a legendary WWE event:
- In the wake of a battle won, the war takes a new turn:Triple H: There's always a Plan B.
- A long, bloody reign finally comes to an end:Announcer: The winner of this match, and new Divas' Champion... Paige!
- What was supposed to be a celebration of commitment turns into a nightmare:Minister/Eric Bischoff: Did I just hear myself say... THREE MINUTES?!note
- Weeks of waiting end, and Kane has a very bad night:
- Survivor Series 2014. The hero had fallen. The people's final hope for a saviour appeared futile in the face of the tyrant and his sinister disciple. All was lost... and then he appeared.
- The first-ever Cutting Edge Peep Show takes a dark and dangerous turn:Seth Rollins: John, I didn't want it to come to this. But if you're not gonna come out here, then you are forcing my hand! And in turn, John, you leave me no choice but to force yours.
- And even when demands are met...
- WrestleMania 31: At the climax of a war, the opportunist seizes his moment.Lillian Garcia: Ladies and gentlemen, Seth Rollins is cashing in his Money in the Bank contract, therefore this will now be a Triple Threat match!
- The boss makes a shocking announcement for the Royal Rumble event:Vince McMahon: It'll be you defending your championship against 29 other men in the Royal Rumble match!
Titantron: I am...Phenomenal.
- Later in the actual Royal Rumble Match, unfamiliar music plays and the titantron shows three words that sends the audience over the deep end and causes numerous fans watching around the world to mark out.
- A once-heroic figure takes that last step over the line:Kevin Condron: I guess I'll have to do it note myself.
- The Heir Apparent lays claim to a legacy.
- Money in the Bank 2016: Two years after a tragic betrayal, the ultimate payback.Lillian Garcia: *As Seth Rollins lays out prone on the canvas* Ladies and gentlemen, Dean Ambrose is cashing in his Money in the Bank Contract!
- On the night before Valentine's Day, a friendship was torn asunder:
- After claiming eternal loyalty, the viper strikes.Randy Orton: So here I am, dead center in the kingdom...a place where the devil sings your praises. This is your world, Bray...but it's not mine! It never was! I once said, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." But I have another expression for you, Bray. Once you join 'em, and it's the right time...SCREW 'EM! *proceeds to burn down the Wyatt Family Compound*
- A Raisin in the Sun: "When a cat take off with your money, he don't leave you no road maps!"
- MacbethMacduff: Despair thy charm, and let the angel whom thou still hast served tell thee, Macduff was from his mothers womb untimely ripped.
- Almost, Maine has quite a few, but one that stands out is one of the characters who can't feel pain:Ow.
- The Light in the Piazza: "When Clara was twelve, we rented a Shetland pony for her birthday party. She and her friends were leading the pony around... and the pony kicked her!"
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: " Our son is dead, just like that! How does that make you feel?"
- Romeo and Juliet: "I could not send it, here it is again."
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street:The Beggar Woman: Don't I know you, mister?
Sweeney (Theatre Version): Oh, God! "Don't I know you", she said... You knew she lived...! From the first moment that I walking into your shop you knew my Lucy lived!
- And late on in the story:
Sweeney (Film Version): "Don't I know you", she said... You knew she lived... You lied to me.
Sweeney: There's a hole in the world like a great black pit and it's filled with people who are filled with shit and the vermin of the world inhabit it... But not for long...!
- To a lesser extent, the line that marks the exact moment Sweeney turns from an Anti-Hero to a Villain Protagonist:
- In All My Sons, Chris's mother tells him why she won't allow him to marry his brother's fiancée: "Your brothers alive, darling, because if hes dead, your father killed him." This inflammatory statement leads directly to Chris Calling the Old Man Out.
- RENT: During La Boheme, Mimi stops for an "AZT Break," thus revealing she has AIDS.
- Sunset Boulevard actually has a Wham Song, specifically "New Ways To Dream (Reprise)," in which Max fills in all the remaining holes relating to Norma's past. The biggest Wham Line within the song is probably "Please, understand, she was my wife."
- Tosca! Finalmente mia...aaaaaaargh!
- Rigoletto: The reprise of "La dona e mobile", telling us and Rigoletto that the body in the sack isn't who he thinks...
- From David Auburn's Proof: "I didn't find it. I wrote it." End Act 1.
- The Book of Mormon:
- "I AM NOT YOUR BEST FRIEND! I JUST GOT STUCK WITH YOU BY THE MISSIONARY TRAINING CENTER!"
- There's another one in "Hasa Diga Eebowai". "Well, let's see... 'Eebowai' means 'God', and 'Hasa Diga' means 'fuck you', so I guess in English, it would be... 'Fuck you, God.'"
- Humble Boy: "Mother?...Mother, please tell me you can see him."
- Cabaret: "But if you could see her through my eyes...She wouldn't look Jewish at all."
- Hamlet: "...revenge his foul and most unnatural murder."
- Love's Labour's Lost: "The king your father—" "Dead, for my life!" This comes at the end of a comedy.
- tick, tick... BOOM!: Jon gets angry with his best friend Michael and screams, "What the hell do you know about fear? What do you know about anything?" Michael responds, "I know I'm sick, Jon, and I'm not going to get any better."
- Fiddler on the Roof: Throughout the show, Tevye's children gain love interests that go against the Jewish tradition. The first two times, he temporarily stops to think about whether or not they're forgivable through an internal monologue. The third time, however, when one of his daughters marries outside the Jewish community...
- The Sound of Music: "LIEUTENANT! THEY'RE HERE!"
- Perhaps one of the most infamous Wham Lines is in Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap, to the point where audiences are asked at the end of the show not to spoil it. This troper would post it, but it is one of the Spoil at Your Own Risk moments, so just look it up on The Other Wiki.
- From The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee:Panch: I'm sorry, that is incorrect.
- A bunch of lines from "The I Love You Song" also qualify, particularly "Blame it on your daddily and mammily/'cos depression runs in our family" and "I think he takes out on me what he wants to take out on you."
- From Dear Evan Hansen has the reveal of how Evan really broke his arm.Connor: Did you really fall? Or did you let go?
- From Finale: "This will be... our... last week on earth." Bonus points for the fact that it comes right at the end of Act 1, so you have all of intermission to have an existential crisis.
- In Lend Me A Tenor:Saunders: Oh my God, he's alive. [...] I was standing here TALKING to him!
- Godspell: "This is the beginning."...of the end. Jesus says this to tell the community that was built during Act 1 that he's going to leave them to see if they retained the lessons learned from his teachings. And it all goes downhill from there, ending in His Crucifixion.
- Also, the line right before "On the Willows": "And I tell you I shall never again drink from the fruit of the vine until I drink it again with you in the Kingdom of my Father." Jesus then says goodbye to the rest of the cast.
- "Then the man they called Judas Iscariot went to the chief priests, and said "What will you give me to betray Him to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver and from that moment, he began to look out for an opportunity to betray Him." (Matthew 26:14-16, KJV) The line signifies the transition from John to Judas.
- The final line of the speech is accented with a percussive sound not unlike Dramatic Thunder.
- In Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Scorpius learns the effects of using the Time Turner to humiliate Cedric Diggory in the past and help Harry out.Scorpius: Voldemort Day?
- Later, Harry and Draco confront Amos Diggory on sending his niece, Delphi, to manipulate their sons. Amos replies "I have no niece."
- This leads to the discovery of a message from Delphi on "I will bring my father back," revealing, she's Voldemort's daughter.
- In The Drowsy Chaperone, most of it feels pretty silly, but there seem to be hints that Man in Chair has more going on then he lets on. Then, following the blackout and the Superintendent ruining the finale:"Oh, it was ruined, wasn't it? One note away from the end of the show and it was ruined. The mood is broken...I should just start the record again from the beginning. No. I can't do that, can I? Oh, it's so frustrating. You have to understand, I love this show so much. My mother gave me the record. This was just before my father left us. He didn't leave because of the record, although I'm sure it didn't help matters."
Mrs. Tottendale: Love has certainly been kind to me and my true love. Love is always lovely in the end!Underling: But your late husband was a brute.Tottendale: I don't mean him, you silly coot!
- An earlier moment is a somewhat funnier, lighthearted line in "Love Is Always Lovely in the End":
- In the Mrs Hawking play series: In part one, Mrs. Hawking, when Mrs. Hawking asserts that anyone can hide anything if they really want to, Mary's response: "You couldn't hide it from me."
- ALLTYNEX Second drops one during the ending sequence, which reveals that the name of the protagonist is Guehala Dennis, the developer of the Phoenix in the game's chronological successor, RefleX.
- Alpha Protocol, during the Taipei mission, if you choose to interrogate Omen Deng after defeating him:Omen Deng: My sources were clear; Michael Thorton has come to Taipei to assassinate President Sung.
Michael Thorton: Funny, my sources made it pretty clear you were here to kill him.
Omen Deng: Then your sources are mistaken.
Michael Thorton: If you're not the assassin... Oh shit.
[On stage, Sung is shot, lethally or non-lethally depending on the player's actions.]
- Analogue: A Hate Story: Though it occurs only about 15% into the story, it still dramatically changes everything about *Hyun-ae, the AI that's been assisting you. Additionally, it's the superuser password that you haven't been able to figure out up until this point.Pale Bride: My name is Hyun-ae!
- Armored Core:Thermidor: Prepare your souls. These cowardly ideals, they will cause the downfall of humanity!Wynne D. Fanchon: Humanity? I don't see humanity anywhere, Otsdarva.
- Assassin's Creed I:Altaïr: Speak sense, Templar, or not at all!Robert: Nine men he sent you to kill, yes...the nine who guarded the treasures secret?Altaïr: What of it?Robert: It wasn't nine who found the treasure, Assassin. Not nine, but ten.Altaïr: A tenth? None may live who carry the secret. Give me his name.Robert: Oh, but you know him well...and I doubt very much you'd take his life...as willingly as youve taken mine.Altaïr: Who?Robert: It is your master: Al Mualim.
- Assassin's Creed 2:Minerva: (to Ezio) The rest is up to you... Desmond.
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood:The Animus: Compiling subsystems. Infrastructure. Tendons. Heart. Voice.Desmond: ...Subject 16?Subject 16: Yes...Subject 17.Desmond: You're dead...I saw your blood!
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations: In The Lost Archive DLC...Vidic: We're counting on you, Lucy. You have served the Templar Order well.
- Assassin's Creed III:Haytham Kenway: You are a Templar. May the Father of Understanding guide us.Desmond: Wait...what.
- Baldur's Gate:
- Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean has one that turns the entire game up to that point on its head:
- Baten Kaitos Origins:
- This bombshell:Pieda: Well, how about Malpercio, then?
- Later, the major Wham Episode can be summed up with three separate lines:Milly: Father! Make them stop!Sorcerers: Marno ar [...], accursed one...thy life must end!noteSagi: Guillo?!
- Later, we get one that sets up the final major reveal:Verus: Hee heh hah hah hah! Sagi, you've betrayed my hopes time and again, but I'm happy to say you've finally come through for me.
- This bombshell:
- The Beginner's Guide: During the game, Davey keeps commenting on Coda having a weird fascination with a lamppost in his games. Come to the final level and...Coda: Would you stop changing my games? Stop adding in lampposts?
- Beyond: Two Souls: At the end of "The Mission".News Announcer: ...and the international community had just announced its recognition of the election of the new president Gemaal Sheik Charrief ... and now, sources report that he and all his government were assassinated in what appears to be an unclaimed attack.
- Billy Vs SNAKEMAN:
- BioShock series:
- BioShock: "Stop, would you kindly? "Would you kindly"...powerful phrase...Familiar phrase?"
- Swiftly followed by:Atlas: It's time to end this little masquerade. There ain't no Atlas, kid. Never was. Fella in my line of work takes on a variety of aliases. Hell, once I was even a Chinaman for six months. But, you've been a sport, so I guess I owe you a little honesty. The name's Frank Fontaine.
- From BioShock 2:Sofia Lamb: ...But there is one detail of your mutual bond she failed to account for. Your body was designed to lapse into a coma when her heart ceases to beat. Eleanor..forgive me.
- From the "Minerva's Den" DLC:The Thinker: Mainframe reactivated. Confirming user's identity: genetic identity confirmed. Alpha series: Subject Sigma. Former identity: Charles Milton Porter.
- From BioShock Infinite:Booker: GIVE ME BACK MY DAUGHTER!
- Breath of Fire:
- Bulletstorm:Ishi: God...is...dead.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts:Rourke: You would've made a good Ghost... too bad they're not gonna be around. And you're gonna help me destroy them.
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow:Soma: "I am...Dracula."
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: "EU SUNT DRACUL!"
- And in the sequel: "The power of your God cannot destroy me... Because I am his chosen one!"
- Cave Story: After defeating the Core, Misery frantically teleports in to explain that you and Curly almost pulled a Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!:
- Charlie Murder:
"By the way, I am not your friend."
- Throughout the game, you get updated on your progress by "a friend". It's from the True Final Boss.
- Child of Light:
(I looked that one up online)
- Norah's betrayal:"I am sorry, Aurora. We are not together."
- Then, the one from the Confessions that reveals that the subplot therein takes place in the future
- Norah's betrayal:
- Chrono Cross: An example where it's not the line itself, but who says it that causes a huge impactSerge: Yes...I'm fine...
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert SeriesPart 1: "And so Kane went from the presence of the Lord, and settled in the land of Nod!"Part 3: "The Imperial war machine has arisen!"
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.McNeal: Where's the spaceship? The one that Kane stole?Vega: He didn't steal it. He built it.
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars:"The destruction of the Philadelphia was no accident.""JPL Deep Space Net is picking up six unidentified objects heading towards Earth...""This being already exists in the datacore. Genetic derivations unknown."
- The player's commander in Cyber-Lip says "The Earth is ours" after defeating the titular supercomputer...Then he grins evilly and his eyes glow in red, implying that he is an android and the Earth has already been taken over by them.
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc: Two from the second trial, firstly concerning the identity of Genocide Jack "In fact, it's Toko." and secondly, a secret about the victim "This...this girl is...! ...is a boy!".
- Super Danganronpa 2:
- During the Chapter 5 trial, Chiaki starts acting strangely when the group decides that only the "traitor" in the group could have committed the murder, and by saying this more or less admits that she's the "traitor" without actually spelling it out:Chiaki: But...theres nothing they could have done...since even if they had wanted to confess...they couldn't have...Because they weren't made that way. So...I want you guys to try and guess. (...) The Future Foundation spy, the traitor hidden amongst us...who do you think it is?
- During Chapter 6, A fake version of Makoto Naegi, the previous player character, suddenly shows up and reveals that the Future Foundation is actually not evil, but that the main cast of this game were actually members of the evil organization Ultimate Despair.Fake Makoto: The real bad guys...are you.
- Later in the chapter, we get two in rapid succession, essentially revealing that Hajime is actually Izuru Kamukura, the individual who kickstarted the entire plot of the game.Junko: Izuru Kamukura is very much alive. Isn't that right, Hajime?
- During the Chapter 5 trial, Chiaki starts acting strangely when the group decides that only the "traitor" in the group could have committed the murder, and by saying this more or less admits that she's the "traitor" without actually spelling it out:
- The Darkness:
Learn that you are my puppet. Now watch this!
- There's one from the titular entity itself:
The Darkness: Jackiiiie... SOON...
- In the very beginning, there's one for players new to the franchise who thought this was going to just be a typical Mafia FPS:
I love you, Jackie Estacado. No matter what happens, I always will. I'm so sorry.
- If the sequel has one, it's in the end.
- Deadly Premonition: "When the time comes and you have to make that decision, make the right one. OK, Zach?"
- They even have that last part in letters about five times as big as the rest of the subtitles in the game, just in case you didn't see it.
- Dead Rising in Overtime.Isabela: You...You must have gotten yourself infected somehow.
Chuck: Katey Ann Greene, where have you been?
- In Dead Rising 3, Chuck Greene has located Annie, who is really his daughter, Katey, after the years of running away from him, blaming herself of turning into a crime lord for her sake.
- Before that, a slightly lighter example comes with Gary's breakdown. He laments how he used to be a successful wrestler with a beautiful wife... and then he says this:"Oh, God, I miss my Rhonda!"
- Dead Space 2:The Marker: Thank you, Isaac. Now...time to die.
- Deus Ex:Paul Denton: You can relax, JC. I told the troops to stand down. That's right, I'm working for the NSF.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution:Megan Reed: Jaron, is that you? (As Jensen enters the room, unseen to Megan, intent on rescuing her from said Jaron.)
- Dm C Devil May CryVergil: The path is clear for us to rule.
- Diablo III:Adria: Dear Leah. Deckard always suspected...your true father was Diablo himself!
- Digital Devil Saga has two within the same arc:Varin Omega: I am Colonel! Colonel Beck!Argilla: No way! We...died?!
- Also:Lupa: Have you ever seen a child here in the Junkyard?
- Disgaea 2:Rozalin: Wait! I really can't tell you!!Etna: Sure you can. You just don't want to.Rozalin: ...No, you don't understand. The reason I cannot tell you is...I-I don't know where my father is! I have never even met him before!!
- From Ace Attorney Investigations 2:Courtney: The defendant... Blaise Debeste! I accuse you!
- From Saya no Uta, the following line, not so much the line itself, but how it's heard and by who:"Welcome home!"
- Fate/stay night, the line which reveals that Archer is a lot more than just an ordinary Servant:"Trace. On."
- The Dark Knight Trilogy:
- Batman Begins: Bruce Wayne is attending a dinner party, years after he's seen his old master dead, when someone walks up to introduce him to one of the guests: "Am I pronouncing it right... Ra's al Ghul?" With this, the audience realizes that Batman's mentor, Ra's al Ghul, survived and is in fact behind the villainous plot of the film.
- The Dark Knight: Batman is interrogating the Joker to find out where Harvey Dent is, only for the Joker to answer, "Well, you'll have to hurry if you want to save one of them." And the Dark Knight responds, "'Them?'", pointing to the realization that the Joker has kidnapped someone else and Batman now needs to be in two places at once to save everyone.
- In Part 2 of The Godfather, mob boss Michael Corleone suspects Johnny Ola is behind the an assassination attempt on his family, but doesn't know how Ola knew where he would be staying. That all changes when he hears his brother Fredo say, "Johnny Ola told me about this place," after already denying meeting the man. The look in Michael's face confirms his and our suspicion that Fredo was the traitor.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: Protagonist Will Turner is fatally stabbed by Davy Jones and left to die. All seems lost, since Jones can only be killed by stabbing his heart and taking on his curse of immortality, but Jones's own crew has the heart. So as Will starts to die, the entire scene changes when one of the crew member walks up to Will with heart in hand and say, "The Dutchman must have a captain."
- The Avengers
- Bruce Banner turns into the Hulk whenever he gets mad, so everyone is interested in knowing how he's gone nearly a year without transforming despite being on the run from the law. Banner finally gives an answer to the question just before he transforms into the Hulk for the climax of the film, and his answer puts a lot of his character into perspective:Steve Rogers: Doctor Banner, now might be a really good time for you to get angry.
Bruce Banner: That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry.
- There's a small funny one near the beginning, where Black Widow answers her phone while being interrogated by mobsters, only to reveal she's letting them interrogate her so she could learn more about their operation!Black Widow: I'm in the middle of an interrogation, this moron is giving me everything.
- Black Widow appears to be emotionally shattered by Loki's insult, which prompts him to go into a bit of Evil Gloating about how they brought the Hulk just as he planned. Black Widow then straightens up and then calmly says the line below, revealing that she was faking her emotions to trick Loki into revealing his plan."So that's your play?"
- Nick Fury is trying to keep the other Avengers calm and do damage control for their suspicions about his organization, only for goody two-shoes Captain America to walk in and reveal his group has been creating weapons of mass destruction."Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the Tesseract to build weapons!"
- Bruce Banner turns into the Hulk whenever he gets mad, so everyone is interested in knowing how he's gone nearly a year without transforming despite being on the run from the law. Banner finally gives an answer to the question just before he transforms into the Hulk for the climax of the film, and his answer puts a lot of his character into perspective:
- 2001: A Space Odyssey:
- After co-operating throughout most of the film, HAL 9000 telegraphs his turn against his human partners with two sentences.HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
- After displaying only robotic determination throughout the entire film, HAL displays emotion.HAL 9000: I'm afraid.
- After co-operating throughout most of the film, HAL 9000 telegraphs his turn against his human partners with two sentences.
- 12 Angry Men: Soon after insisting that the defendant's cry of "I'll kill you!" as decisive evidence, the third juror gets angry and yells nearly the exact same thing, invalidating his earlier point and marking the point where most of the jurors begin to see the defendant as innocent.Juror #3: LET ME GO! I'LL KILL HIM! I'LL KILL HIM!
- American Beauty: Lester fantasizes about having an affair with the teenage Angela, who seems to egg him on, but he realizes the disturbing nature of his obsession when she tells him, "This is my first time," revealing she's far more innocent than he imagined.
- American Meltdown: The protagonist assumes the terrorists that took over the nuclear facility are Taliban, but after hearing about their training Afghanistan, he realizes that they were actually US soldiers and he lets the audience in on his intuition with four words."Khalid's an American soldier?"
- A Beautiful Mind: The first half of the movie has the main protagonist, John, struggling to socialize with his college room mate due to his mental disorder. It appears just to be a social disorder, but the audience realizes that his disorder is more severe when we're told "John lived alone in college," revealing John's roommate was a schizophrenic hallucination.
- Bridge to Terabithia: A fun, inspirational story about two childhood friends using their imagination to enjoy the local woods takes on a different tone when the male lead hears, "Your friend Leslie is dead." The rest of the film is a somber meditation on grief and mortality.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Walter Donovan gives Indiana his mission at the beginning of the movie and is assumed to be a good guy, which is why it's so shocking when he appears in a Nazi fortress to criticize Indiana.Henry Jones, Sr.: Well, I didn't trust her. Why did you?Walter Donovan: Because he didn't take my advice.
Sallah: What is it always with this "Junior?"Henry: That's his name. Henry Jones, Jr.Indiana: I like "Indiana".
- A more comedic version happens at the very end of the film, when it turns out Indiana Jones's name isn't Indiana, that was just the dog's name!
- James Bond:
- Skyfall: Bond's unnamed assistant gives her full name in the last few scenes of the movie, and it turns out she's a classic Bond character who hasn't appeared in years."Well, my name is Eve. Eve Moneypenny."
- SPECTRE: The mysterious head of SPECTRE tells Bond that his name is an alias, a cover for the fact that he's one of Bond's oldest enemies, Blofeld from From Russia with Love. He goes on to make it clear that he's been behind all of the evil masterminds that have gunned for Bond over the past few years."Franz Oberhauser died twenty years ago, in an avalanche together with his father. The man you're talking to now, the man inside your head, is Ernst Stavro Blofeld."''
- Skyfall: Bond's unnamed assistant gives her full name in the last few scenes of the movie, and it turns out she's a classic Bond character who hasn't appeared in years.
- Jurassic Park: A light-hearted scene in which the protagonists witness the birth of a newborn dinosaur takes a sharp turn for terrifying with the identification of its species.Alan Grant: You breed raptors?
- Interstellar: The character's land on a planet, but end up spending longer on it than they expected. Due to the way gravity affects time, they know that the time that has passed on their spaceship and on Earth is longer than the time they spent on the planet, so they ask how long they've been gone and get an unpleasantly long answer.Coop: How long were we gone?Romilly: 23 years.
- Mad Max: Fury Road: The characters finally meet up with some friends, and ask for further directions to the fertile, habitable Green Place. They hope to take refuge there and survive away from the apocalyptic wasteland they just passed through, but their friend dashes their hope by saying, "But if you came from the west, you passed [the Green Place]." It turns out the Green Place has been ruined and just become another part of the wasteland.
- X-Men: First Class: After getting accidentally shot by his friend, Charles Xavier makes the extent of his injuries clear when he says, "I can't feel my legs." From now on, Professor X is paralyzed.
- A funny example from Young Frankenstein, where the keeper of Frankenstein's castle reveals that Frankenstein's monster was her boyfriend, of all things.
- The Princess Bride:
- The evil king who the titular bride is to be married to casually mentions the fact that he hired an early antagonist to kill his own fiancee, in order to justify going to way with a nearby kingdom."...when I hired Vizzini to have her murdered..."
- Two characters are dueling, equally matched, when one of them explains why he'll soon have the upper hand: "I'm not left-handed." He switches his blade into his right hand and begins to dominate the fight, until he's pinned his opponents sword, who explains how he'll take the upper hand: "I'm not left-handed." And then he switches hands and the fight falls into his favor.
- The evil king who the titular bride is to be married to casually mentions the fact that he hired an early antagonist to kill his own fiancee, in order to justify going to way with a nearby kingdom.
- Orphan: Throughout the film, the titular orphan has shown disturbing signs of being more mature than one would expect, such as killing an injured bird out of mercy. Her most recent adopted mother investigates her history and finds someone who knew her before she reached the orphanage where they met. The Wham Line comes as the mother asks someone who worked at a mental hospital. It turns out that the "little girl" is actually a "grown woman" who pretends to be a child."Tell him the little girl in that picture is not really a little girl. She's a grown woman."
- Les Misérables: Javert, who's essentially a cop, has been chasing Valjean, an escaped prisoner who was impoverished prior to being arrested, for many years. Javert eventually catches Valjean, who's now relatively wealthy. They argue, and in his rage, Javert reveals that he's Not So Different from Valjean and implies Hidden Depths to his character other than being dedicated to the law.Javert: "You know nothing of Javert, I was born inside a jail! I was born with scum like you, I am from the gutter too!"
- Age of Empires II
- In the final cutscene of the Barbarossa campaign, the narrator brings up Barbarossa's nemesis Henry the Lion:Narrator: And what of Henry the Lion? With Barbarossa gone, there was nothing stopping him from returning to the Holy Roman Empire. But I am an old man now. What harm can I possibly do?
- During the Joan of Arc Campaign, the first part of the mission in which you attack Paris involves you going to meet up with the King's reinforcements. When you reach your destination, two poor-quality units come out and greet you with this line, which indicates that the King has betrayed Joan.Militia: We are all the king could afford to send.
- In the final cutscene of the Barbarossa campaign, the narrator brings up Barbarossa's nemesis Henry the Lion:
- Battlefield 3: After Sgt. Blackburn spends the entirety of the Framing Device painting Solomon as The Man Behind the Man and the Greater-Scope Villain spurring the more visible bad guys into action, the CIA interrogators he's telling this story to brush it off entirely with a simple but effective, "Solomon's one of ours."
- Borderlands 2
Handsome Jack: I think it's time to let you in on that little secret. Angel's working for me.
- Right after you install the Hyperion-made shield core you took from Wilhelm to power Sanctuary's shields (knowing that Angel can hack Hyperion tech):
Angel: It isn't enough to steal the Vault Key. You have to destroy Jack's catalyst. You have to destroy ...me.
- When you storm the bunker where Jack is charging the Vault Key to open the Vault:
Handsome Jack: You stay the hell away from my daughter!
- And that one is immediately followed by:
- The second level of Call of Duty: Black Ops has the player character escape from a Russian gulag with the assistance of Viktor Reznov, who appears to die in the escape attempt. A few missions later, he's revealed to still be alive, as a defector who has vital intel on the Soviets' intentions in southeast Asia. Then after several missions where things just get weirder and weirder, a three-part Wham Line hits between the two parts of "Rebirth" and "Revelations":
- At the very tail end of the first half of "Rebirth", we see Mason's perspective of events, in which he stood back as Reznov executes Friedrich Steiner as per his revenge plot. The interrogator immediately counters:We saw the report, Mason. Viktor Reznov did not kill Friedrich Steiner. Hudson saw what happened.
- The next part comes at the end of the second half of "Rebirth", which is Hudson's take on the mission, which converges with Mason's at the very end. This time, the Wham Line isn't such because of its content, since we've heard it before - rather, it's a Wham because of who it turns out to have really said it:Mason: My name is Viktor! Reznov! And I will have! My! Revenge!
- As if that didn't throw the player for enough of a loop, the next one comes in the next mission, the aptly-named "Revelations", the majority of which the player spends watching Mason stagger through the halls while tripping out. Eventually Hudson catches up with him and knocks him out cold; when Mason regains consciousness, Hudson stands over him, pistol drawn, and dropping several bombshells which culminate in:Viktor Reznov's been dead for five years! He died at Vorkuta during the escape! All these years you thought he was with you - that was just in your mind!
- At the very tail end of the first half of "Rebirth", we see Mason's perspective of events, in which he stood back as Reznov executes Friedrich Steiner as per his revenge plot. The interrogator immediately counters:
- Chrono Trigger
- When the party confronts Magus, the wizard they believe created the abomination Lavos, who is destined to destroy the world in the future:Magus: No, you fools! I only summoned him!
- Later, in the era of High Magic, a mysterious boy named Janus delivers a chilling prophecy to the party:Janus: The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish.
- When the party confronts Magus, the wizard they believe created the abomination Lavos, who is destined to destroy the world in the future:
- The ending of Crackdown. After beating all three of the Criminal Gangs, the Agency Director congratulates you on a job well done. It seems to be a generic A Winner Is You, until...It's taken years of meticulous planning and patience to reach this stage, but it was worth it. Who do you think supplied Los Muertos?
- Diablo II: At the end of the campaign, where the Framing Device is an old man named Marius telling the angel Tyrael what he'd done.Tyrael: You haven't failed, old man. You've done exactly as you were meant to do. However, I am not the archangel Tyrael.
<"Tyrael" drops his disguise to reveal he is the demon lord Baal>