The main character of the franchise, Black★Rock Shooter is a girl with pale white skin and a massive gun. Because each work is an Alternate Continuity, her origins differ across each one.
- Anime Hair: Her hair tends to stand up in the air.
- Badass Adorable: Especially in the manga, where she shows more emotion than in the anime or game.
- Badass Longcoat: With a star on the back.
- BFG: The ★rock cannon.
- Black Swords Are Better: Generally has such a sword.
- Girlish Pigtails: Doesn't define her personality at all, however; they're also extremely long, and one of them is shorter than the other.
- Icy Blue Eyes: She has piercing blue eyes to go with her stoic personality. They also glow.
- In the Hood: Her Badass Longcoat always featured one, but she has always kept it down until the 2012 Anime.
- Morph Weapon: Rock Shooter's "★rock cannon", which can transform into a small katana "black blade" and also into a 30mm Gatling Cannon.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: The ★rock cannon is almost as big as her.
- Stripperiffic: Bikini top, booty shorts, thigh-high boots, and a hoodie.
- Super Strength: May or may not have this, as in the OVA, she breaks the Dead Master's chains with her bare hands; however, this could just be from being a Determinator. There's also the fact that she can even lift her cannon, let alone wield it as both a ranged and melee weapon.
- Sword and Gun: She loses the sword in the first scene of the OVA, however; instead, her gun gets to become some sword-like blunt object.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has pretty long twintails. In the OVA and anime, this is used to highlight her relationship with Mato.
- The Rival: Can be interpreted as this to Dead Master.
In the OVAA mysterious girl in the Otherworld who seems to be a good fighter, but does not give any reason for her fighting. Seems to be a silent hero.
- Cooldown Hug: She does this to Dead Master in the end.
- Fusion Dance: She fuses with Mato once the latter ends up in the Otherworld.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a scar on her hip and another on her leg; it's likely from the impact of Black★Gold Saw's final stroke.
- The Speechless: She does not talk until she meets Mato in the end.
In the AnimeIn the 2012 anime, she represents Mato's desire to solve other people's problems and ignore her own, and thus goes on a rampage to kill "other selves" throughout the Otherworld. This causes Saya to panic and quickly traumatize the other girls in the hopes of awakening "other selves" to stop her progress and protect the Otherworld for the original Yuu. Mato ends up merging with her in Episode 5, but the shock of seeing Dead Master die transforms them into Insane Black★Rock Shooter (see below).
- Atop a Mountain of Corpses: B★RS in the third episode after killing pre-awakened other selves.
- Anti-Hero: Seems to be completely fine with massacring "other selves" without restraint. This bothers Saya very much, but it concurs with Mato's belief that the Otherworld is wrong.
- Big Bad: Technically.
- Byronic Hero: She's by far the most ruthless and amoral incarnation of B★RS, but she ultimately believes that what she's doing is right.
- Cartridges in Flight: B★RS's minigun appears to eject entire bullets instead of spent casings.
- Dark Action Girl: She's shown as an Anti-Villain Protagonist in this continuity.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Mato pretty much brings B★RS under control after defeating her.
- Disney Death / Unexplained Recovery: She's destroyed as Insane Black★Rock Shooter but is seen unharmed as Black★Rock Shooter shortly thereafter.
- The ending hints that as long as their real-life counterparts are alive, the girls' Otherselves will also continue to exist, to help shoulder their grief and sorrows as the girls continue living.
- Gatling Good: Her response to getting a giant waterfall of macaroons thrown at her is to upgrade her gun into a minigun and fire so many bullets that they scatter everywhere. She later uses a stationary double minigun for a brief moment.
- HeelFace Turn: The end of the final episode.
- (Non-)Human Pincushion
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: It's just the first episode and B★RS is already ran through by Chariot's wedge-like form, which is as big as a bus.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!:
- Decapitating/killing "other selves" causes people to lose their grief. It also causes them to lose the attachments that caused said grief.
- Her unchecked progress in destroying the Otherworld is what is getting Saya to try to stress out the girls in the hopes of getting "other selves" to stop her.
- Offhand Backhand: Chariot tries to rush at her with a sword when her back is turned, but instead B★RS ignites her eye-fire and beheads her, barely even turning at all.
- Love Makes You Evil: Her desire to fulfill Mato's own desire to help others leads to her killing the other Other Selves.
- Made of Iron: She takes enough damage to kill a human several times over in the first episode alone.
- More Dakka: See Gatling Good.
- '90s Anti-Hero: Badass Longcoat, Stripperiffic, talks with her humongous gun and katana, vague ill-defined powers revolving about being Made of Iron and Good Thing You Can Heal and she's not afraid in the least to use lethal force.
- Perpetual-Motion Monster: All otherselves doesn't need sustenance other than justification for their existence — the continual suffering of their humanselves for them to shoulder. But B★RS is especially notable in this regard, because she invades the realm of other otherselves to kill them.
- Sword and Gun: She wields both her sword and cannon at the same time in episode 5.
- Villain Protagonist: In a sense.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Sort of. Technically she has no emotions and only acts by instinct - however she was born of a desire to help people.
As Insane Black★Rock Shooter
- Alien Blood: Has purple blood. Emphasized in the final fight with Mato, who's bleeding out normal blood despite turning into an Other Self.
- An Arm and a Leg: Arm with your main weapon on it injured? Rip the dang thing off.
- Ax-Crazy: There's a reason she's referred to as Insane.
- The Berserker: Her fighting style is pretty much rushing in blindly, shooting down everything in sight, and shrugging off whatever grazed/slashed/crushed her.
- BFS Below The Shoulder
- Gunblade: Also can be used to shoot a MASSIVE amount of shots.
- Creepy Monotone: When communicating with Mato.
- Dark Action Girl: Same as Black★Rock Shooter but a lot more open about it.
- Dissonant Serenity/Tranquil Fury: Despite her rage-filled expression, her telepathic communication with Mato is utterly emotionless. Justified since she doesn't actually have emotion.
- Detachment Combat/Rocket Punch: In the first few minutes, BGS severely injures the arm IBRS has her BFS/BFG, IBRS's response is to RIP that arm off and throw it.
- Dual Wielding: Has her BFS/BFG on her right arm, holds a much smaller blade in the other. Later, she uses the chains attached to her back to use BGS's sword. After she shoots off the arm holding said blade of course.
- Enemy Without: To Mato in the last episode.
- Epic Flail: After ripping her arm off, she uses the chain attached to her back to turn the weapon attached to said arm into this. She then uses BGS's sword in the same way.
- Feel No Pain: Mato takes it instead.
- Fusion Dance: One fan story has her be a fusion of Black★Rock Shooter and Black★Gold Saw. In the 2012 anime, she appears after Mato and Black★Rock Shooter fuse...but with a twist.
- The Juggernaut: Nothing stands between her and her kills. Not even Mato can stop her...Until she becomes her Enemy Without.
- Painful Transformation: All that new armor plating bloodily burst out from beneath her skin.
- Purple Is Powerful: BRS is strong normally, but as Insane Black★Rock Shooter with a purple motif (red mixed with the blue), she's nearly unstoppable.
- Power Born of Madness: As Insane B★RS.
- Superpowered Evil Side: To BRS and Mato.
- Trailers Always Spoil: Her toy was advertised on the website before she appeared in the anime.
- Variable-Length Chain: It must be magical as it is able to float around in midair carrying Insane B★RS's giant weapons.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Same as Black★Rock Shooter.
In Innocent Soul
Black★Rock Shooter in this incarnation is Rock, a reaper who purifies the souls of those who stay in the Threshold, a purgatory-like world in the afterlife. She suffers from amnesia.
- A-Cup Angst: When Let tells Io that eating carrots will make her bustier, Rock swallows an entire piece. And she strangles Ron for calling her flat-chested during their "ventriloquist act".
- Berserk Button: Flips out when she hears the word "Disappear". The reason? Some bullies burnt her shoulder and leg with cigarettes while chanted the word in her Dark and Troubled Past, only starting to appear as flashes of memories after being in contact with a corrupted soul who died in fire. Before that, she has no reason other than instinct why she hates the word.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Eventually.
- Emotionless Girl: Has difficulty recognizing what "fun" is, and utterly confused why she has tears leaking from her eyes after seeing her previous life. She's not quite content with this, however.
- Gender-Blender Name: Here, BRS is called "Rock". She is also the legendary "Black Star".
- Good Is Not Nice: She knows what her mission is, and she offers no consolation to Reto, who just realized that he's a dead guy all along. She becomes nice through Character Development, to the point that she consoles a fading Dead by acting as her fiance
- Ill Girl: Her dying self after being pushed by her bullies.
- Shinigami: Her role is fairly close to one, in that she makes sure souls aren't trapped in Hazama.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She's easily the most emotive BRS, though she has an air of stoicism to her.
- Rage Against the Mentor / Broken Pedestal: To Ram after forced to kill Dead.
- When She Smiles: Though she's a lot more emotive than most other incarnations.
- You Are Number 6: It's revealed that she isn't the only Black Shooter. To be exact, she's number 01451.
In The GameA mysterious Super Soldier who was awakened by the last surviving humans as their final trump card against the alien invasion. She awakens as a blank slate, being extremely naive and lacking direction. As time passes, she recovers her lost memories and discovers her motivation to fight. Her true name is "Stella", a clone of the alien being called "Sing Love". She was deliberately designed to be an imperfect clone, ironically giving her the ability to retain her memories and making her the grand culmination of White Rock Shooter's plot.
- Artificial Human: She is a clone of White★Rock Shooter.
- Cool Bike: It even has swords attached to it!
- Expy: In her flashbacks, her younger self looks exactly like a younger version of Kuroi Mato.
- Last of His Kind: She lives in a world after almost everyone else is dead.
A green-eyed girl and Black★Rock Shooter's Arch-Enemy. She is the most prominent character in the franchise aside from the titular character.
- Chain Pain: Chains are a general motif of hers and she uses them extensively in combat.
- Dark Magical Girl: In the OVA, she's merged with, or possessing, Yomi. Still counts for the Anime too.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: It covers up a lot of skin, but adds to her evil-ness. It gets even frillier in the 2012 anime.
- Femme Fatalons: Her hands are somewhat oversized with sharp, armored fingers.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: She appears to have skinless bat wings sticking out of her back.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Signifies jealousy; in the OVA, Yomi has them too...
- Horned Humanoid: Generally has vertebrae-like horns on her head.
- Ojou Ringlets: Identical to Yomi's, of course.
- Psychotic Smirk / Slasher Smile: She is almost always portrayed sporting this on, as opposed to her human counterpart. She occasionally does this too in the OVA. And really, her Scythe being broken didn't prevent her from licking her fingers, and then giving this to Black★Rock Shooter as if nothing happened.
- Sickly Green Glow: As part of her color motif and general nature as an antagonist.
- Sinister Scythe: Hers seems to dual-function as her Magic Wand.
- The Rival: Can be interpreted as this to Black★Rock Shooter.
- Yandere: Hinted at in the OVA, made more blatant in the 2012 Anime where she's wearing a wedding veil.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Does this to Black★Rock Shooter; whether this is feeding off Yomi's instincts or if it's entirely the Dead Master's volition is up to debate.
- Load-Bearing Boss: Her lair starts crumbling after she escapes Yomi's body and dissolves.
- Oh, Crap!: Her reaction in the near-end of the OVA when Black★Rock Shooter broke the chains holding her in place, marches forwards towards her, and then embraced her. She resisted to no avail, resulting in her falling off the ledge and then dissolving afterwards, leaving the body of Yomi aside.
- Orcus on His Throne: In the OVA, after "taking" Yomi, she did absolutely nothing except apparently sit in her throne room waiting. Though it's likely she was waiting for B★RS anyway.
2012 Anime Tropes
- Adaptational Wimp: In the OVA, Dead Master was a perfectly capable fighter. In the anime, B★RS quickly unravels the chain, and she gets carried away helplessly by Chariot's spider minions. After struggling for a ridiculously long time against the chains binding her, it seems like she might join the fight...but then she gets dragged into a fissure created by Black★Gold Saw. Though it may be justified in a sense since Yomi was in a pretty weak state.
- This no longer applies after episode 4, where she is able to hold her own in a fight against Black Rock Shooter.
- Back from the Dead For The Finale]]
- Big Boo's Haunt: Her zone of the otherworld.
- Chained by Fashion: Sealed by Chariot with her own chains as a symbolism of Kagari's control over Yomi's guilt. When Yomi's Freak Out reaches its apex, her chains warp around her into a giant mountain and explode into her army of countless skeletons.
- Composite Character: She uses the name and general look of Dead Master, but shares aspects with "Black★Devil Girl", such as the glasses and green theme color.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Played for drama in Episode 5, since Mato didn't want to kill her.
- Meganekko: In the 2012 series, and also counts as Four Eyes, Zero Soul.
- Natural Weapon: Has huge mechanical-looking claws.
- Night of the Living Mooks: Episode 4 sees this, as she raises an army of undead.
- Out of Focus: In the OVA, she's the arguable Big Bad, being the main antagonistic force in the Otherworld. In the Anime, Black★Rock Shooter is the Villain Protagonist, and Strength and Black★Gold Saw become Ascended Extras, leaving her with a more marginal role. She even gets killed in episode 5, and doesn't appear again until the end.
In Innocent Soul
A mysterious, ominous person who approaches Rock at the end of the first chapter.
- Bi the Way: She has more than a few Les Yay moments with Rock, but she has a husband.
- Cute and Psycho: Pretty much adorable. Eats souls.
- Despair Event Horizon: After chapter 10's Wham Line
- Extreme Omnivore: Her soul-devouring aside, she also ate her teddy bear in her sleep and proceed to eat Rock's hair next. And people are asking why Rock's pig-tails are in an uneven length... After dying, Rock takse up this trait and eats Dead's soul to keep her memory from being burnt off.
- Happily Married: Her motivation for eating souls is to be strong enough to be revived and reunited with her husband. Turns out, she's been lied to.
- Les Yay: Pretty much explicitly in love/lust with Rock. She invoked it as she needs Rock's soul to be devoured, she tries to provoke some reaction.
- Let Them Die Happy: Rock lets Dead seeing her as her husband, spending her last seconds in embrace of her beloved.