All spoilers for the first five volumes are unmarked. Examples from Volume 6 can be spoiler tagged if deemed necessary.
First Members see episodes 1 week before public release. As a courtesy, please do not trope them for 1 week until they have been released to the general public. Please only trope the episodes that have been released to the general public. For more information, please visit the RWBY Forum thread.
The World of Remnant: Sanus (Western)
Remnant is a harsh landscape inhabited by the Creatures of Grimm that dominate the skies, land and oceans. There were once many kingdoms scattered across the continents of Sanus, Solitas and Anima. However, most have fallen to the Grimm, leaving behind only four survivors. By combining technological advancement with local topography, civilisation flourishes within the protected boundaries of these four kingdoms.
Sanus is the largest continent on Remnant and boasts two surviving kingdoms, the Kingdom of Vale to the east and the Kingdom of Vacuo to the west. The Great War began on the continent's east coast as a result of clashes between the Kingdoms of Vale and Mistral, but ended in the deserts of the Kingdom of Vacuo, where the forces of Vale and Vacuo triumphed over the forces of Mistral and Mantle. While the eastern portion of the continent boasts favourable terrain for protecting the Kingdom of Vale, the western deserts of Vacuo are much more inhospitable.
Kingdom of Vacuo
The Kingdom of Vacuo is located at the western end of Sanus. It was originally a paradise and, at the centre of the kingdom, was a rich oasis that was surrounded by jungle and strong geographic defences. Boasting rich natural resources, including the largest Dust deposit ever found, the kingdom thrived.
The Great War changed everything. Stripped of its natural resources, and the battleground for years of human conflict, the paradise was reduced to desert where people lived in makeshift homes, forced to constantly travel to obtain enough resources just to survive. As the location of the final campaign that ended the Great War, Vacuo experienced the most devastating conflict of the entire war and, eighty years later, still hasn't recovered.
While a government does exist in Vacuo, the only real source for order in the kingdom comes from the elite Huntsman Academy that protects it, Shade Academy. However, the kingdom only has one real rule to speak of: if you can survive, you're welcome. Even the humans and Faunus respect each other in Vacuo.
Debut: Round One*
A rival team from Shade whom Team JNPR fights in the tournament. Pronounced 'bronze'. Consists of Brawnz Ni, Roy Stallion, Nolan Porfirio, and May Zedong.
- All There in the Manual: Kerry revealed Roy and May's names on twitter.
- An Axe to Grind: May Zedong's rifle has a bladed stock, allowing it to serve as an axe when held by the barrel.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Nolan has magenta eyes and hair. Even his sunglasses are pink.
- Deadly Disc: Roy Stallion wields buzzsaw bucklers that can launch their blades as projectiles.
- Eyepatch of Power: May's left eye is obscured by her beanie, limiting her vision to a single eye: the one for her sniper scope.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: May never uses her rifle's axe component, and Roy, Nolan, and Brawnz primarily fight using their melee capabilities (though Roy does shoot his buzzsaw blades in close quarters).
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Nolan's shock weapon unwittingly buffed Nora through her Semblance, who then proceeded to take out all of Team BRNZ by herself.
- Mauve Shirt: Roy reappears in the background as Weiss and Blake have drinks in Episode 9 of Volume 3. The first shot of the next episode is him being dragged off by a Nevermore.
- Shock and Awe: Nolan Porfirio's weapon is akin to a cattle prod, an extended stick with an electric tip.
- The Smurfette Principle: Among the members of Team BRNZ which is predominately male, May is their only female member.
- This Is Gonna Suck: The team's reaction to anything Nora does after Nolan unwittingly buffed her shows that they're aware that despite their fighting prowess, it's still going to hurt.
- Wolverine Claws: Brawnz Ni's weapon are short claws strapped to the back of each hand.
- Unfortunate Name: Switch the y in May's name with an o and you've got Mao Zedong, the Communist leader of China who was responsible for the deaths of more than 48 million people. Miles and Kerry have stated that this was unintentional.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: They (especially Brawnz) are incredulous that Team JNPR stopped the fight unofficially to have a trivial team meeting.
Voiced by: Blaine Gibson
Voiced by: Aaron Marquis
A rival team from Shade whom Team SSSN fights in the tournament. Pronounced 'indigo'.
- Action Girl: All of them, but special mention goes to Dew, who takes out both Sage and Scarlet during the battle.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: Dew, Gwen, and Nebula tried to take advantage of Neptune's fear of water during the end-game by remaining knee-deep in it. Unbeknownst to them, Neptune's weapon can channel electricity...
- Punny Name: On top of being a color, NDGO is also a reference to the fact that it was created by Indiegogo backers.
Voiced by: Kate Warner
Debut: New Challengers...*
The leader of the team, Nebula wields a crossbow/sword weapon.
- Bottomless Magazines: Her crossbow is able to shoot multiple physical bolts without any apparent reloading and nary a quiver.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: Of the 'bow and sword are the same weapon" variety. Bolts are shot out of a shelf inside the barrel of the crossbow, which slides out to become a melee weapon.
- Color Motif: She prefers purple and blue: nearly all her clothing and her hair are shades of purple/blue, most of which are close to indigo and inspired her team's name.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears armor on her right shoulder with a strap going across her chest from it, as well as a lopsided belt. Her longcoat's sleeve on her left arm is also rolled up almost to her shoulder instead of covering her arm.
- The Leader: Besides official confirmation, several of her actions allude to her leading Team NDGO. She's the one who orders the charge after everyone is distracted by Neptune "gaining higher ground", and she frees her teammate Gwen from Scarlet's snare while Sun diverts his attention to Neptune.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Her weapon can transform between a sword and crossbow.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is indigo, which is part of her overall Color Motif.
Voiced by: Kim Newman [EN], Chisato Mori [JP]
Debut: New Challengers...*
A member of NDGO who fights with a spear and tornado attacks.
- Blade on a Stick: Dew wields a spear that she uses to channel tornados at her targets. Interestingly enough, it can also empower anything she hits with Dust as well, such as surrounding Sun's dual coconut attack with fire Dust as she hits them back at him, the force of which was enough to completely knock his teammate Scarlet out of the fight.
- Blow You Away: By rotating her weapon in a circle over the ground, Dew can create tornadoes with which she can attack the enemy. She can create and control multiple tornadoes at once.
- Didn't See That Coming: When the fight officially starts, Neptune immediately races towards Dew's team and then past them, climbing the mountains on the girls' side of the arena to take refuge there. He's fleeing his own team's side of the arena, which is full of water, because he is terrified of water. When Sun yells at him, he tries to excuse himself by claiming he's taking the higher ground and Team NDGO would never expect it. Dew openly admits that Neptune's not wrong about that one.
- Meaningful Name: Dew is the condensation of atmospheric water. A gale is a type of strong wind that gusts at high speeds. A tornado forms when high winds form a vortex that comes into contact with the ground, often made visible when a condensation cloud (which is made up of atmospheric water) is caught up in the vortex. Dew can use her weapon to create and control multiple tornadoes.
Voiced by: Konomi Fujimura [JP]
Debut: New Challengers...*
A member of NDGO who uses knives as her main weapon.
- Dance Battler: She twirls around like a dancer while throwing her knives. She even appears to be wearing ballerina slippers.
- Flechette Storm: Accidentally occurs when Scarlet hangs her upside-down, causing all of her throwing knives to slip free and rain down in this fashion.
- Knife Nut: Wields dozens of them for throwing at her opponents. When Scarlet hangs her upside down using his pistol rope, a bunch of them fall out of her dress and nearly impale him.
- Magic Skirt: Her skirt falls when Scarlet hangs her upside down. She protects some of her dignity, but it results in the above-mentioned Flechette Storm.
Debut: New Challengers...*
A kris wielding member of Team NDGO.
- Combat Pragmatist: When fighting on the desert terrain, she uses her fire blasts to kick up sand to blind Sun and Scarlet. Neptune isn't affected because of his goggles.
- Fragile Speedster: She skates around the desert effortlessly, but even taking the brutal kick that Sun landed into account, he takes her out in seconds.
- Minidress of Power: Like many other female Huntresses, she wears a combat skirt.