The One with...... A voodoo warrior prince fighting his way through the underworld to get back to the land of the living.
Akuji the Heartless is an action-adventure video game developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Eidos Interactive. It was released for the PlayStation on December 31, 1998, in North America and February 1999 in Europe. The game received mixed reviews from critics upon its release.
Akuji... the Tropeless? Not anymore!
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The shores of hell are filled with giant beetles, which are easy to defeat and serves as a warm-up for players in the earlier levels.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Akuji's main weapon is his bone shiv, which is attached to his wrist and can slice up enemies in hell.
- Borrowin' Samedi: Baron Samedi himself is the overseer of hell and the reason why Akuji was able to continue his quest for revenge as a spirit.
- The Grim Reaper: Baron Samedi fulfills this purpose in the game until in the later levels he turns out to be the true villain.
- Hidden Villain: Baron Samedi, initially appearing to be Akuji's benefactor, turns out to be [[spoiler: behind Akuji's murder and is manipulating Akuji into collecting his ancestor's souls for him so that he may escape the Underworld and enter the land of mortals.
- Homing Projectile: One of Akuji's starter weapons, the Soul Seeker spell, can fire blasts of blue energy that homes in on nearby enemies.
- In the Hood: The reoccuring cultist enemies armed with scythes as weapons are dressed in brown, face-concealing robes.
- Love Makes You Dumb: How Baron Samedi takes advantage of Akuji.
- Magic Knight: Akuji is both a warrior and a voodoo magician, being as good as kicking ass as he is in casting spells.
- Power Floats: Messngers of Hell are horned Elite Mook enemies who tends to float around Akuji while throwing energy bolts at him. They're among the tougher enemies Akuji can encounter in the game.
- Revealing Reflection: Every now and then, Akuji will need to jump from one area to another on invisible platforms. Luckily, these platforms are located near mirrored walls, which can reveal the floating platform's locations for Akuji.
- Sand Worm: These are reocurring foes in the shores of hell, giant worms which sticks their heads out of the sand and lashing out at Akuji.
- Vengeful Ghost: Akuji is a Revenant who is unfairly murdered by his own brother. Making a pact with Baron Samedi, Akuji spends the entire game travelling through the depths of hell to collect souls for the Baron so that he may return to the land off living and avenge his own demise.
- Widowed at the Wedding: Akuji's bride, Kesho, after Akuji is murdered by his own brother, Orad. But she is a voodoo sorceress herself, and can communicate with Akuji's soul during gameplay. Turns out, this was Baron Samedi speaking to Akuji through Kesho's voice.