When Universes Collide (also known as Aetherverse) is a roleplay server hosted on Discord that has been running since 2018. However, it traces its roots back to a line of roleplay servers on Google+ named Fandom Wars. It has had multiple exchanges of ownership but is now currently operated by two individuals who are officially known as portalguy and Darth.
The basis of When Universes Collide is the concept of a grand multiversal collision that merges all possible universes, whether they host various television media, literature, video games, alternative media, or even just your own creations, together into one massive conglomeration - but with these universes come the rise of their respective villains lusting for power thanks to the whole new universes ripe for conquest. However, accompanying these villains come heroes of all shapes and sizes, and adventures beyond even the wildest of imaginations.
You can find the server here.
These tropes always come back swingin':
- Aborted Arc: Has happened many times in WUC thanks to the inconsistent schedule of members running story arcs:
- There was a plan to reenact Part 5 of Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure. So far, nothing has come of it.
- Once, there was a fighting tournament event called the Contest of Champions. It never concluded.
- There was a Civil War arc planned similar to that of the Marvel Comics story arc, prompted with the passing of the Superhero Registration Act, but it was quickly shot down by other politician characters and the story was cancelled.
- Season 6 has faced cancellation several times.
- Cool Starship: Applies to a lot of space-bound vehicles featured in WUC.
- The STARBORD is a compact little spaceship created by Zach's father, outfitted with retro-grade plasma cannons and a mounted plasma minigun, as well as a specially-crafted transdimensional engine known as the Superdrive.
- Composite Character: Applies to many characters featured in WUC:
- Arya Stark becomes the vessel of Mathael from Diablo III, dubbing herself the "Night Queen".
- Meanwhile on the OPPOSITE end, Sansa Stark becomes the vessel for the Phoenix Force and eventually becomes possessed by Ramsay Bolton.
- WUC's version of Spider-Man combines his appearance on the Raimi films with his Iron Spider suit from the MCU version.
- Leitmotif: Many characters in WUC use themes from other medias as leitmotifs.
- Penny's theme is lifted from Jojos Bizarre Adventure, specifically Jotaro's theme, as her main ability is based off Star Platinum.
- While some original characters use themes from different medias, canon characters will often be matched with their own musical leitmotifs, mostly villains such as Sephiroth and his theme, or DIO and his.
- Adaptational Badass: In the original Final Fantasy VII, Sephiroth was already pretty imposing, responsible for the infamous Nibelheim Incident. However, in WUC, where he manages to get to Earth after mysteriously disappearing after the Incident, Sephiroth repeats his destructive ways at least four more times in mounting fashion, including feats never seen before in his original incarnation:
- He burns down a hamlet in the Bavarian Alps.
- He burns down Port Royal in the Caribbean.
- he infiltrates a heavy containment SCP facility, slaughters its staffing as well as SCP-096 and then proceeds to blow up the facility itself.
- He slaughters the College of Cardinals inside the St. Peters Basilica and unleashes Ghirahim from his ancient imprisonment inside of a sword.
- The Quest: Follows this trope pretty faithfully.
- Villain Team-Up: Sephiroth is not alone. He is able to convince a group of some of the most dangerous villains in the multiverse to aid him in his quest to release Aldruidt:
- Dagoth Ur from Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
- Kylo Ren from The Force Awakens.
- The Cyberiad from Doctor Who, and its army of Cybermen.
- Ghirahim from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
- Hisoka Morow from Hunter x Hunter.
- Lord Dominator from Wander over Yonder.
- Sundowner and the Winds of Destruction from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
- And last, but not least: DIO from Part 3 of Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure.