The starting premise is as follows - you are a new shinigami of the Gotei 13, freshly graduated from the Academy. The quest was originally designed to follow the player character until they either became a champion of Soul Society or got horribly eaten by a Hollow.
The players start off as Makoto Kobayashi, a talented but by no means exceptional shinigami who possesses the dream to one day 'Transfix Creation' - that is, have all of the world stand in awe of her.
Things did not go as planned.
Featuring a two-thousand year old conspiracy, certain elements of moral ambiguity but remaining true to its shounen roots, it can be read here
In October 2017, the quest was confirmed dead by Maugan Ra.
We Stand In Awe contains examples of:
- Awesome, but Impractical: Some of the fancier abilities frequently fall under this - while Hado #99 is extremely powerful, you can't exactly cast it near anything you're particularly fond of.
- Catchphrase: "No one stands above me forever" is a favourite saying of Makoto's.
- Cerebus Syndrome: After Makoto's offer from Aizen, the story begins to take a darker tone.
- Grey-and-Gray Morality: There's a distinct level of ambiguity as to who, exactly, the good guys are. Especially considering Yamamoto and the Royal Guard's betrayal of the Soul King 2000 years ago, causing the appearance of Hollows.
- Mysterious Past: Makoto, who grew up as a mercenary in the Rukongai districts, turns out to be the reincarnated Blade of the Soul King. All that is known was that she was betrayed and sealed away for 2000 years (at least until Aizen found her) by Yamamoto and the Royal Guard. The reasons and exact circumstances of this have yet to be revealed.