Ulti's Bar & Grill is a roleplay based in the Minecraft Forums and then moved to Discord. It was founded by the user Ultimation12, in December 2013. The forum link, including Discord invitation link, is here.
The roleplay started out as a generic hang-out roleplay, into which various people put their characters from whatever world they felt like. However over time it became more and more plot driven, with an overarching story emerging and several arcs splitting away from the main story. The rules however haven't changed, with characters coming from any and all worlds. These include established series, such as the Pokémon series, or entirely unique worlds such as those of the Dark Legion.
Ulti's Bar & Grill contains examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: Everything. Characters from the far future meet characters from a steampunk past meet medieval wizards. Expect absolutely no technological consistency.
- Apocalypse How: Class X-5. Ulti the bar owner took part in a massive war, which ended up destroying both his and several other people's dimensions. Never talk to him about it.
- Ascended Extra: Guy, the standard mook, who was pulled into the spotlight and is now a semi-important part of the Legion world.
- Canon Discontinuity: Due to Old Shame of the creator, the original One True Pairing of Ulti X Mayhem has been decreed as non-canon.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Towards the beginning, there was little to no true story, and all events took place within the bar proper. That no longer holds true.
- Character Development: Plenty of it. Ult himself gets married and begins to recover from his past, and Sayuri of the Dark Legion learns that emotions can in fact be good, both make good examples.
- Deadly Upgrade: Dakarr of the Dark Legion uses a shadow sacrifice to grant him immense power and speed, but at the cost of his life.
- Deus ex Machina: There's a box with one inside of it in the bar's storage, which will be involved in the roleplay's end. Also Chesed's light teleporter capable of pulling him straight out of any situation that would normally kill him. Of course, it doesn't always make his situation that much better.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Rune Tynan, and in fact any character with a sword as a main weapon will almost surely be able to do some fairly ridiculous stuff with it.
- Inn Between the Worlds: The bar itself exists in every reality and possibility, somewhere.
- Little Bit Beastly: Ult's daughter, Julie. Being half fox and half human, she has fox ears, but is otherwise human in appearance.
- Monster Allies: Endie is a more recent example, considering he is part of a certain species of creatures that will try to kill anyone that so much as make direct eye contact with them.
- Running Gag: The stairs to the first floor are theorized as cursed, since people fall down them so often. Done to the point of someone turning the fall into some kind of acrobatic display.
- Sword Sparks: The anti-energy sword literally emits sparks when activated.
- Tournament Arc: An arc based on a tournament called The Ultima Games has been announced by the GM.