The Caligula Effect: Placebo is an in-progress Discord-based roleplay of The Caligula Effect, set in an alternate universe with original characters. It keeps the premise of the original game, with certain aspects being changed, such as μ and Aria's roles being reversed, the existence of a third, neutral group named Gorgias, and a conspiracy surrounding the origins of Mobius.
A link to the server can be found here.
This roleplay provides examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: Tora-P was a fairly major Musician early on, but he's the first character to die permanently.
- Arranged Marriage: Prior to the events of the game, Natsuki and Eli were in one, and are still technically engaged.
- Berserk Button: Ichiro gets angry whenever anyone compares him to a robot or machine.
- Big Bad Friend: Janus is this to the Go-Home Club members they're actually close to. To a lesser extent, Saviour-P is this to Yukiko specifically, who only knows him as "Hikaru" and not that he's a Musician.
- The Cameo: Goro Akechi from Persona 5, and Sasha Velour from Ru Pauls Drag Race.
- Chance Meeting Between Antagonists: Kurouji (post HeelFace Turn) runs into Kiwami-P while the two of them are walking their dogs one day.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's Caligula, what did you expect? Just about every character has this to some degree though some are lying about theirs.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to the original Caligula, this roleplay explores much darker themes and more frequently. Not that the source material wasn't dark in parts to begin with, but still.
- Demoted to Extra: The canon cast of the game hasn't awakened in this timeline; the canon Go-Home Club appears as Kishimai High's gardening club, and the canon Musicians appear as the school's student council. Averted with Shingo and Ritsu, who still have larger roles outside of Mobius.
- Dwindling Party: Frey's friend group falls into Astral Syndrome one by one, starting with 666 and ending with Rina.
- Dysfunction Junction: With an even more dysfunctional cast than the original Caligula.
- Friendly Enemy: Many of the Musicians are friendly or at least willing to cooperate with the Go-Home Club, but it's not mutual.
- Grey and Gray Morality: To a much greater degree than the original game; both sides have very sympathetic and un-sympathetic characters.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Much more than the original Caligula.
- The Mole: Makoto/Janus serves as this, spying on the Go-Home Club for the Musicians. Ryuunosuke/Yves does as well, though this is kept a secret from the Musicians.
- No Antagonist: By Caligula's logic, Saviour-P and the Musicians would be the antagonists, but most of them really aren't very villainous and have good intentions. Saviour-P himself is an Anti-Villain at worst, who only keeps people in Mobius because he wants to help them and feels like people leaving is some sort of personal failure.
- Not So Different: Many of the Go-Home Club and Musician members could easily be switched around.
- Official Couple: 666/HEART&SOUL, Rikichi/Rina, Natsuki/Eli, Saviour-P/Janus, Nyx/Yukiko, and Kurouji/Kaoru.
- One Degree of Separation:
- The families of Japan's high society (Takenaka, Minobe, and Yuasa) are very interconnected. To wit: Nyx was engaged to Sakiko Takenaka, Kohaku's sister. Three years ago, Sakiko died in a car accident, and so did the twin brother of Natsuki Yuasa. Natsuki himself was engaged to Eli Minobe, who later was named the heir of his family after Lucius ran away and Shinsaku (Kurouji) got Astral Syndrome. Natsuki's father, the Prime Minister, also has connections to The Conspiracy.
- Another, smaller set occurs with Kanade, Tsubame-P, Nadeshiko, and Yuuya, as well as the deceased Enji. Kanade and Tsubame-P are childhood friends, and Yuuya is Tsubame's cousin. Nadeshiko was a coworker of his, and she sexually assaulted him. She also killed her fiance, Enji, for figuring too much out about her, and Kanade, believing the death to be a suicide, blames herself for his death.
- One Steve Limit: There are two characters named Shinzou.
- Psychoactive Powers: Kiwami-P's weapon reacts to his mental state. The more stressed or angry he is, the scarier-looking it becomes.
- Secret Relationship: Ichiro and Ryuunosuke are keeping their relationship a secret, especially given Ichiro is the only person in the Go-Home Club who knows Ryuunosuke is Yves.
- Stepford Smiler: Several. Yves, Natsuki, and to a lesser extent Youko are the depressed type.
- There Are No Therapists: A very notable aversion, especially compared to the source material; Mobius actually has a therapist with HEART&SOUL, though he is also a Musician.