All Myths Are True, and a great number of them don't like each other or humanity. About twenty years ago, the situation looked like it was about to reach a boiling point. The Archangels and High Demons both knew a war between them was mounting, and both knew that in that war they could take Earth easily. Meanwhile, werewolves took control of western Europe, and other Midnights were resurfacing as well. The few humans who knew about this, roughly thirty, banded together to stop the armies of Hell, Heaven and the Night, calling themselves the Almost Gods. Their numbers grew as sympathizers from the enemy armies defected to the Almost Gods, and for a while, they were winning.
Twenty years later, things changed. Most of the original thirty defected, deserted or died, and only six remained. Of the six survivors, one is insane, one is missing (and occasionally broadcasts his screams), two are in a coma, one was turned by vampires and only one retains his life, freedom and sanity. Desperate for help, the lone survivor, Ralevon, opened a school for humans, Midnights, demons and angels loyal to the Almost Gods, to bolster their ranks.
Despite the rather grim backstory, the story doesn't focus on the futility of the Almost Gods to maintain their fight against the supernatural, but the day-to-day life of the group of kids (and "kids") at the school.
The RP was recently rebooted by Arana "Aran" and Lavan Tiri, AKA Lavan.
This Roleplay provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob
- The Alcoholic: Claire. Although her definition of alcohol is debatable; she's shown drinking sulfuric acid.
- All-Ghouls School: Including an actual Ghoul.
- All Myths Are True: Except Mothman.
- Animals Hate Him: Cal, due to being a Wendigo.
- Badass Teacher: Pretty much a job requirement to teach at the Academy.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT touch Moloch's fedora. EVER.
- Crazy Awesome: Moloch, though he's more crazy than awesome
- Child Hater: Bella Stone, the school Secretary and a bit of a Butt-Monkey, despises children, or "munchkins", as she calls them.
- Evil, Inc.: The Affably Evil Prince of Hell, Luke, owns a massive corporation under the pseudonym Morgan Stern
- Expy: Jack is almost exactly like Rumplestiltskin from Once Upon A Time.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Shannon can go from Valley Girl to terrifying in a moment.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Cal, during his wandering of Minnesota. We don't know exactly what happened, though.
- House Fey: Shannon, the Academy's resident Brownie and janitor.
- Horror Hunger: Cal, who has cannibalistic urges due to being turned into a Wendigo, and Amina, who can't eat normal food and is forced to eat human flesh simply to survive.
- Hulking Out: Shannon turns big, ugly and hairy when someone presses her Berserk Button.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Both Cal and Amina, though neither wants to be one.
- Master Computer: The Syracuse mechanism, inspired by the much less impressive Real Life Antikythera mechanism.
- Our Monsters Are Different: "Monster" is the equivalent of a racial slur in the Almost Gods universe, the politically correct term is "Midnight".
- Satan: Who apparently looks like Jeff Bridges.
- Sadist Teacher: For their first math class, Ralevon takes the class outside and demands that they punch each other in the face or be expelled.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Luke/Morgan Stern is like this.
- The Stoic: Markus.
- The Sociopath: Ralevon, see his entry under Sadist Teacher above.
- You Are What You Hate: Cal, the Wendigo who hates himself for his cannibalistic urges. Amina is not found of her species either, but not to the extent of Cal.