In AD 2001, war was beginning.
Okay, maybe the Third Neuroi War didn't begin in 2001, but the chain reaction leading to it did. In early June, there were numerous reports of UFO's in northeast Manchuria. In mid-September, two unidentified aircraft slammed into the World Trade Center in New York City; a third was shot down upon sighting. The WTC collapsed, and its destruction was promptly blamed on faulty engineering by Liberion's then-president Bill Clinton. After that, things got fairly quiet. Odd, but quiet. Reports of strange stormclouds, that did not bring rain, but seemed to have UFO's coming out of them. Governments of the world called the UFO's hearsay in order to calm down frightened citizens.
The ruse didn't last, however. By late 2009, the South Pacific was becoming notorious for sudden, violent storms, and ships getting sunk by what young sailors described as 'bright red lightning', which cut through the wooden junks like a hot knife through butter. Curious, and a bit suspicious, Fuso's Emperor ordered an E-3 Sentry to be sent into the Pacific near the Fiji Islands, where many of the attacks had taken place.
It was blown to pieces.
The curiosity of many of the world powers quickly turned into fear, and Fuso sent a flight of six rookie F-2A Witches to investigate. Only two made it back, one bleeding heavily. The reports of sudden storms increased dramatically in frequency over the next few months, and the number of sunken ships in the area increased at an even faster rate. By March of 2010, a report from an Australis Witch all but confirmed the worst nightmare of every soldier, citizen, and politician on Earth: The Neuroi were back. And with them, a new band of Witches would be needed. A new Joint Strike Wing. A new 501st.
This is their story.
Tropes commonly associated with Strike Witches Twenty Twelve.
- Back from the Dead: Maria
- Brainwash Residue
- Broken Bird: Several.
- BFG: Loads, though Maria's GAU-8 Avenger takes special mention for being Gatling Good.
- Child Soldiers: It is Strike Witches-based, after all.
- Codename: Naturally, of Meaningful Name variant.* Major Sohvi Häyhä: Snipe* Captain Ruya el-Amin: Cipher* Flight Lieutenant Sybil Picton: Fawlty* Lieutenant Annabell Monterige: Longshot* Master-Sergeant Lysta Nigowan: Red* Sergeant Alicia Monterige: Archer* Sergeant Matilde Silvestri: Gladius* Sergeant Svetlana Yuriyuna Remitonova: Rusalka* Lance Corporal Maria Lucinda: Lunatic
- Cold Sniper: Sohvi, in a slight inversion for a 'good' character.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Episode 6
- Distaff Counterpart: Not nearly as many as the original, but it's still evident with some witchesSohvi Häyhä <—> Simo HäyhäAdela Țepeș <—> Vlad III the ImpalerBeatrice Puller <—> Chesty Puller
- Dysfunction Junction: Half of the team is either in need of a therapist, or is already beyond their help.
- Eyepatch of Power: Sported by Yuki and Friederike. The former after her crash and the latter after her return from deployment to Ostmark.
- Gender-Restricted Ability: What do you expect from an SW-based RP?
- Legacy Character: 501st Joint Fighter Wing.
- Little Bit Beastly: The entire female cast applies to this trope.* Major Sohvi Häyhä: Arctic Fox* Captain Hanabuya Katsumi: Orca* Captain Orlendo Ivanova: Fennic Fox* Captain Ruya el-Amin: Golden Eagle* Flight Lieutenant Sybil Picton: Eagle* Lieutenant Annabell Monterige: Dog* Master Sergeant Lysta Nigowan: Irish Wolfhound* Sergeant Adela Tepes: Black Falcon* Sergeant Alicia Monterige: European Rabbit* Sergeant Sergeant Matilde Silvestri: Italian Wolf* Sergeant Svetlana Yuriyuna Remitonova: Grey Wolf* Sergeant Yuki Mikhailov: Hawk* Lance Corporal Beatrice Louise Puller: English Bulldog* Lance Corporal Maria Lucinda: Fancy Mouse* Private Nergüi Bürgedovog: Grey Wolf
- High School A.U.: Right here
- Mildly Military
- Multinational Team: The 501st Joint Strike Wing.
- Mysterious Stranger: The 'assassin' Adela has multiple encounters with.
- Panty Shot: See Gender-Restricted Ability's excuse.
- Precision F-Strike: Fei, oh Fei...
- Put on a Bus: Characters by inactive players are considered MIA or on leave.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Justified in Bunny-Ears Lawyer variant.
- Survival Mantra: Bushra's "I am in control." certainly qualifies, though it may actually be a Madness Mantra.
- There Are No Therapists
- The Cavalry: Lieutenant Colonel Perrault and the 13th Bomber Squadron effectively wiped out the entire Neuroi unit that mostly doomed the 501st.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: The Squadron's leaders appear on one. Among other characters...
- Time Travel: Episode 5 takes them into the heart of the original's Season 2, complete with the original cast. It's hard to say what theory applies here.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: The Illyrian resistance and the various Anti-Ottoman groups highlight this in-universe.
- War Was Beginning