"Thou art a Blank slate, unburdened from thy past.
Thou shalt fight in the Judges' games, to reclaim thy past.
Thou shalt honor the rule of the Judges above all else here and know no other patrons.
Who was once thy friends and allies mattereth not to a Blank. Thy unit is thy family here. None other can thou trust.
Thou hast entered this place willingly."
Sabra La Tau is a panfandom roleplaying game on Insane Journal. Upon entering the game, every character is without memories, without a concept of themselves or even what "normal" is, and put on a team of six where they must compete in the games. If they win, they receive memories. And should they lose? Well, that depends entirely on the Judge. Most of the times, loss means nothing, but it all depends on the Judges. However, to those who dare to throw a game for anyone aside from their own team, punishment is sure to come and it's up to the Judges to decide what it means to throw a game or not to throw a game.
Do not be fooled by the word "game". A game could be as silly as Truth or Dare or as scary as War Room where loss of life is all, but guaranteed. Life in Sabra La Tau is not pleasant, so hopefully whatever wish the Blanks have, it's worth the hardships. Stuck under the earth in a sprawling stone labyrinth, there is no escape except to win a wish from the Judges and to win, one has to play.
Sabra La Tau provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Alcoholic: SOLDIER, Monoceros
- Amateur Sleuth: When you have a cast from Detective Conan, of course there's sleuths about.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Happens pretty often and can result in Blanks not taking their memories.
- Ax-Crazy: Lepus has a reputation of being this.
- Big Win Sirens: Good End Ceremonies usually have lots of music.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: A literal meaning as one heart game required people to break something in the person's heart.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Almaz seeing people's 'titles.' Some mun comments in action brackets.
- Break the Cutie: Every cutie breaks eventually.
- Chained to a Rock: The Pillar has a particular taste for Monoceros.
- Colour Coded Armies: The teams all have different colors AND different style of clothing.
- Courtroom Antic: Everything Apollo does.
- Custom Uniform: The teams have custom uniforms.
- Deadly Game: War Room, Say Uncle, etc.
- Death Is Cheap: Better to die in a game than be injured. Death actually gets healed.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Unless you're Lacerta.
- Demonic Possession: One of Mirror's penalties placed glass slugs in people's brains that controlled their minds. Of note is Gokudera, who had his terapede'd out.
- Doppelgänger: Mirror is everyone's doppelganger.
- Drowning My Sorrows: How Monoceros deals with anything stressful.
- Dysfunction Junction: What most teams are.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Did they ever! After over 300 days of mindfucking, torture, being the Judges playthings and the ground itself trying to eat them, they finally managed to free the souls from the pillar, overthrow King, get their wishes and fly off into space on the Enterprise as the planet exploded behind them.
- Easy Amnesia
- Everybody Lives: Second War Game.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Raptors.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Team Princesses; Sakura, Albert, Lelouch, Claude, Rapunzel, Euphie...
- Subverted with Azula.
- Eye Scream: Carly, half of Cygnus.
- Fake Memories: A number of characters received memories that weren't their own, but (possibly) the past of Sabra La Tau.
- Flashback: Take a memory berry, experience a flashback.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: They're all pretty nice.
- The Gambler: Gambler
- Game Show Host: The Judges kind of fill this role.
- Heroic BSoD: Most every hero that joins.
- Housewife: Lelouch, Watanuki, Link....
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Storyteller Cry Wolf incidents with Claude, Allen/14th, Gokudera, and Thorfin.
- Identical Stranger: Conan and Kaito are sometimes this when Conan is his real age.
- Identity Amnesia: Sometimes a Blank's 'real self' and 'Blank self' are very different.
- Incest Subtext: Lelouch, Rolo, Jin, and Ragna are in the game. It goes without saying.
- Infant Immortality: Averted as there are no age limits on characters. Spiky, Mitsuru, Mitani and Dani comes to mind.
- Intangible Man: Tyki, Dani, the Judges sort of act like this.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot: With actual puzzle pieces.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Heart Games.
- Kill Em All: But you'll be fine by morning.
- The Kirk: Captain James Tiberius Kirk
- Limited Wardrobe: They only have three sets of the same uniform.
- Long Bus Trip: Pillar.
- Loss of Identity: Everyone.
- Mad Doctor: Surgeon
- Magically Binding Contract: Judge Patroning is implied to work this way.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover
- The McCoy: Doctor Leonard McCoy.
- Meaningful Name: (Almost) everyone receives nicknames. Usually they relate to the person or there's a theme in the nicknames of a team.
- Note to Self: All Blanks left one.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Ren Maaka is practically a commodity.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Chika and Mikaila. The ones during the Zombie Homecoming Dance were a class F though.
- The Power of the Sun: Azula's fire bending is really amped up thanks to Sabra's violent doom sun. Horribly subverted with Rapunzel, who had her healing magic infected with fire and rage.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Dingbatticus. It seems to only work on the Reborn cast though.
- Put on a Bus: Going to the Foreman, getting lost in the caves, sometimes getting sick, Judgenapped...
- Quest for Identity
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Some teams more ragtag than others.
- Running Gag: In most of their games, Rapunzel has managed to stab Chrono somehow.
- Sadistic Choice: Some Judges love these.
- Secret Identity: Both averted with some not remembering enough to hide secret identities and played straight where people hide their normal identities from those from their world who haven't remembered yet.
- Small, Secluded World
- Split Personality: Mirror, Jack/Tyler, people suffering from Persona or Mirror games.
- The Spock: First Officer Spock.
- Stock Phrases: "I do this willingly." "I shall serve the Judges faithfully."
- Stun Guns: Ophiuchus weapon of choice. Unlike most of them, the electric shocks are usually painfully obvious.
- True Companions: Every team and their partners become this.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: After a while most characters doesn't seem to question things like talking reflections, fireliondogs or Soldier's giant wang.
- Weird Sun: The Old Woman's attempts to murder everything kicked off the plot and sent everyone underground.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Albert, Edward, Dani, etc. are all going to suffer serious slaps of reality.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Queen