Who’s the fairest of them all?
Certainly not you, my dear,
After all, it should be quite clear.
Excuse me, allow me to be polite.
You need to get out of my sight.
Once Upon a Trial is a submission-based tumblr Dangan Ronpa roleplay group similar to Doubt Academy that began in May of 2014. The game is set in the mysterious Märchen Kingdom, a land where ficticious fairy tales are very real. The game replaces Monobear and Usami/Monomi with characters known as Monogoose and Swanami/Monoduck.
The game is unique in that there is a much heavier focus on exploration and investigation, as well as the inclusion of several non-player characters who can be interacted with on their own blogs, similar to how players interact with each other. The game began with a roster of 31 students and is currently in its fifth chapter.
Tropes Present in Once Upon a Trial
- Bad Boss: Monogoose has ordered the execution of two of her staff so far. This was after crippling both Briar and Swanami/Monoduck. Not to mention how she treats the students.
- Cain and Abel: Monogoose and Swanami are siblings.
- Evil Matriarch: Monogoose, being based off of Mother Goose, qualifies.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Several.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: Have you seen the amount of dismemberments in this game?
- Fractured Fairy Tale
- Meaningful Name: "Märchen" is German for "fairy tale".
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Anneliese is quite fond of injuring anyone who gets close enough.
- Shout-Out: One of the items pulled from the well was a kazoo, with Kazuya Hirayama, from Doubt Academy 2 White on it.
- Talking Animal: Monogoose and Swanami/Monoduck, though they also have human forms. And are apparently robots.
- You Can't Go Home Again