Marvel Heroes RPG is a Playbypost RPG based on the Marvel Universe. It is an Alternate Universe which branched off at around Civil War with some post-Civil War characters and Original Characters thrown in for good measure. Not to be confused with the unrelated free-to-play game or Marvels RPG.
Marvel Heroes RPG includes examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Inevitable as players comes and go.
- A Day in the Limelight: Sometimes done with temps.
- All There in the Manual: The history, powers, etc. of the characters can be found on their applications.
- Alternate Universe: Earth MHR-616. Its Civil War went differently and it lacked an M-Day which had ramifications from then on.
- The Alternate Realities board allows for stories that take place outside of MHR-616.
- Breakout Character: As a quirk of the nature of a Play-by-Post RPG (players pick the characters they happen to be fans of), some characters are much more prominent on site than in canon.
- The Cameo: Called temping on site. Used to allow for interaction with a hero or villain without a dedicated player.
- Canon Immigrant: Quite a few characters who were created after Civil War were too fun to pass up.
- Cosmetic Award: No-Prizes, named after the old Marvel cosmetic awards. Most are awarded for things other than pointing out typos though. Players can even get one for updating our TV Tropes page!
- Depending on the Writer To be expected when a new person starts writing a character formerly played by someone else.
- Loads and Loads of Roles: Because the site only allows one account per person and allows for multiple characters, this is inevitable. This is especially true considering that players are allowed up to four characters right out of the gate (and twenty-five for one player by the end).
- Long Runner: The site's been in operation for over a decade.
- Original Character: Fight among and against the canon heroes and villains.
- Rainbow Speak: Quite a few players use coloration and other effects to distinguish their character speaking from other text.