Lorecraft Academy is a roleplay that originated in the Great Moments in LPing Discord server, but is now hosted on luigiman2201's Discord server. Mainly written by luigiman2201, Lorecraft Academy is the story of seven students attending the titular school, learning about magic, fighting, and the world itself.
Tropes present in Lorecraft Academy:
- Adult Fear: Sara and Amelia would've been killed at the Sacred Sanctum if Darklaw didn't intervene just in time. Imagine how their parents would have reacted if they weren't so lucky.
- Adventure-Friendly World: Its name has not yet been revealed, but it certainly is one.
- All for Nothing: They went to the Sacred Sanctum to find a way to get rid of Natalie's Demon Lilith once and for all. After everything was said and done, they never got an opportunity to actually get inside.
- Alliterative Name: The most extensive library in the world, the Sacred Sanctum.
- Steven Sportman.
- Alpha Bitch: Played very straight with Lillian, seeing her Lorecraft opponents as weaklings and belittles them at every turn.
- Even during her battle with Sara, who lets it get to her, attacking Lillian recklessly and unfocused, allowing Lillian to dodge all of Sara's attacks with ease.
- Ambiguous Gender: Early on in the series, Alex' appearance causes some people to mistake him for a girl.
- Anger Born of Worry: Jocelyn's rant towards Sara while she's hospitalized reveals this is why she was so keen on stopping them from going to the Sacred Sanctum.
- She later also attempts to beat up Lewis, for, as she sees it, sitting back and doing nothing to help his friends when they were in trouble, while she worries her butt off.
- Anti-Villain: Carol, though the villain part is not by choice.
- Author Appeal: Word of God has stated on multiple occasions that his writing for Lorecraft Academy is heavily influenced by RWBY.
- Badass Boast: Has been done several times.
- Jocelyn claimed she'd beat everybody in several of the Talent Showdown Criteria Event stages.
- Lewis in his fight against Solana.
Solana: I will not lose this match. You'd do well to remember that.
- Earlier on, before the fight started, Solana had her own.
Sara: I told you I wouldn't give up. And I wasn't kidding.
- And in the first fight of the Talent Showdown, Sara is losing badly against Lillian, eventually being frozen in a ball of ice. It seems all over, when the ice starts cracking and ultimately shatters, revealing Sara, with her Resonance activated.
- Bad Liar: When Lewis asks Sara what happened to Natalie that got her hospitalized, she tries to lie her way out, wanting to not tell anyone Natalie's secret without her knowing. Lewis doesn't buy it.Lewis: What happened again?
Sara: The nurse said she's probably exhausted from using too much mana.
Lewis: I know that. Why?
Sara: I... I don't know.
Lewis: You're a horrible liar.
- Battle Couple: A few form during the Talent Showdown Arc.
- Carol and Natalie, both when they're in Sylphia Forest and the Talent Showdown itself.
- Lewis and Sara, fighting together against an Alraune in Sylphia Forest.
- Beware the Nice Ones: All seven of the main characters are nice people, but if you make them angry, you're going to regret it.
- Big "NO!": Sara says this verbatim upon seeing Natalie jump off a bridge, realizing she's trying to commit suicide.
- Bilingual Bonus: While in the bus riding up to Kings and Queens, Hunt spouts off some insults in German at the students.
- Blessed with Suck: Natalie's Resonance allows her to hear people's thoughts. A useful ability, were it not for the fact that Lilith, the demon inside her, manipulated it to make her hear every thought of every person within her vicinity, with no control over it. Natalie however thinks this is how her Resonance works straight up.
- Blunt "Yes": During Jocelyn's Bad Dream, she mutters a few words, one of them being "B-brother...". After she wakes up, she worries that she was talking in her sleep, which Natalie confirms.Jocelyn: *Using Telepathy to talk to Natalie* I-I... w-w-was t-talking in my s-sleep wasn't... I...
- Boobs of Steel: Carol can hold her own in a fight pretty well, and her chest is... noticable.
- Break the Cutie: Lilith has been doing this to poor Natalie for as long as she can remember.
- Sara's had this happen to her in her early childhood, to the point where she was thoroughly convinced all that other kids would do is bully her.
- Brick Joke:
- Broken Bird: Both Jocelyn and Natalie qualify for this. Sara was this in her early childhood.
- Calling Your Attacks: Sara is pretty much the queen of this.
- Lewis occasionally does this as well.
- The Cameo: Raquna from Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl makes an appearance during the Sylphia Forest event.
- Casanova Wannabe: Sergel, oh so much. Proto comes off as this upon meeting the others for the first time, but drops it shortly after.
- Casual Danger Dialog: This exchange between Lewis and Sara.*When Lewis approaches the tree in front of him, Sara pops out, hanging upside down in it.*
Lewis: I was right. Trouble.
Sara: Oh, hi Lewis.
Lewis: What's the problem here?
Sara: Big Flower Lady Thing.
Lewis: You mean Alraune.
Lewis: Do you need help?
Lewis: Great, I've been bored this whole time.
- Catapult Nightmare:
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: After 9Blades, cardioid, and Gameboy left the RP, their respective characters Mizu, Alex and Zeva were written out and have not reappeared since.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Sergel tries to pull his moves on Sara, she doesn't get it's aimed at her.Sergel: *To Sara* My lovely lady how are you doing tonight?
*Natalie, frightened, hides under a table.*
Sara: Lovely lady? Where?
- Cool, but Inefficient: Sara's Rapid Spin attack looks cool, but requires quite the setup. Overlaps with Awesome, but Impractical.
- Cooldown Hug:
- "Could Have Avoided This!" Plot: The whole Sacred Sanctum incident wouldn't have happened if people listened to Jocelyn.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Sara is a quirky person, but is very capable in a fight.
- The same could be said about Carol.
- Curse Cut Short: Proto cuts himself off from saying one when talking to Jocelyn.Proto: She's already working her a- butt off for you.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Several characters have had these, and some still do.
- Sara was bullied a lot in her early childhood, to the point of expecting it's all people would do. It wasn't until some classmates put effort into being friendly to Sara that she became the cheery girl eager to make friends we know her as today.
- Lewis' father was killed by the Society of Human Supremacy and his mother went insane because of the events.
- Jocelyn's brother committed suicide right in front of her, mentally scarring the princess.
- Amelia's mother died of Magical Discharge Disorder, a disease caused by having too much mana in one's body, very mysteriously and unexpected. The case was never solved, and a fake story to prevent the public from criticizing the authorities was made up instead.
- Proto's cousin Nicole died of Magical Underflow Syndrome, a disease caused by having too little mana in one's body.
- Natalie's been tormented by the demon Lilith, who's attempting to get Natalie to willingly kill herself so she can permanently use her body and her power no longer limited, her whole life, and still is. Plus, she has also mentioned about the emotional neglect her parents made her suffer through.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lewis is definitely this.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Sara calls herself a "friendly friend of friendliness".
- Didn't Think This Through:
- Disney Death: After Natalie has finally defeated Lilith, it looks like she had to sacrifice her own life to do so. When everyone is extremely upset by this, Amelia suddenly remembers a technique to check for a pulse. It turns out Natalie is still alive, but in a coma. She's brought to a hospital shortly after.
- The Ditz: Sara has her moments.
- Dope Slap: When the others realize Sara forgot to give everyone the notes she had written about what they were going to do together, Lewis gives her one.Lewis: Fool.
- Early Installment Weirdness: For starters, there's the characters mentioned in the Chuck Cunningham Syndrome entry.
- Sara initially had weapons she'd use in battle, heavily implied to be two wakizashi. This was later dropped in favor of a gymnastics-based unarmed fighting style.
- Jocelyn and Proto were not part of the main cast at the start of the story.
- Elemental Powers: Magic exists in this universe, categorized under Water, Earth, Air, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Metal, Nature, Dark, Light, Sound, Time and Space.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Jocelyn is one, and not just any princess. She is the crown princess.
- Exact Words:
- Exposition Cut:
- Expy: Lewis is a male-version of Weiss Schnee. Like Weiss, he has white hair, comes from a rich family, can be pretty snarky, and is a Lancer/Foil to Sara in the same way that Weiss is to Ruby. On top of that, there's also him having a pair of rabbit ears he hides under his hat, just like Blake did with her cat ears and a bow.
- Extreme Doormat: Natalie has a lot of trouble coming forward and stating she's against something, due to her timid nature.
- Face Palm:
- Lewis when he witnesses his fellow students being disorganized beyond belief.
- And again when Sara trips on the stairs and falls flat on her face, helping her up after.
- Amelia gets in on the act when Carol slams a door in Sara's face, not knowing she was behind it.
- Zeva did one when the question she asked got ignored.
- Lewis, once more. This time in response to the Hurricane of Puns Carol spouts off.
- Amelia does another one when Carol discovers neither she nor Sara use weapons to fight.
- Even Jocelyn has done this, witnessing Carol hang from a ledge by her teeth. Amelia facepalms alongside her.
- Flight: Through the use of Air Magic.
- The Glomp: Carol does this to Sara on a regular basis.
- Groin Attack: When Sara and Carol are facing Hunt in the final round of the Talent Showdown, Hunt teleports behind Sara, which causes Carol to knee him in the nuts.
- Good Is Not Nice:
- Grievous Harm with a Body: During the Lewis and Natalie vs. Proto and Sergel fight, Sergel grabs Proto with his trunk while in elephant form, and throws him at Natalie.
- HeelFace Turn: It's heavily implied Carol is looking to pull this.
- Heroic BSoD: Sara's had a few of these, but usually picked herself back up pretty soon, making them more like 10-Minute Retirements.
- I Have Nothing to Say to That: This exchange between Darklaw and Carol.Carol: T-this isn't like messing up in class or in practice! I nearly killed someone!
Darklaw: You nearly killed a monster. Part human they may be, that is the only thing about them that's human.
Carol: But... you didn't see the way she looked at me.
Darklaw: I do not wish to undermine your value of life. In fact, this incident proves how much you value life, and that is an asset.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: During the final encounter with Lilith, Sara does this, trying to get Natalie to overcome her demon. She succeeds, and Natalie eventually overpowers Lilith with Sara's motivation.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: After Jocelyn pokes at the sleeping Carol nearby, it startles her and panickingly grabs a nearby Sara.
- Literal-Minded: When Carol calls dibs/shotgun on sitting in the passenger's seat in Sportman's car, Sara takes it a little too literal.Carol: Dibs on shotgun!
Sara: You're bringing a shotgun?
- Motor Mouth: Jocelyn's had a couple moments where she talked very fast.
- Carol when Sara and Amelia turned out to be okay after their fight with Mondo, Umiko and Elise.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Played for laughs when Lewis witnesses the shenanigans of his fellow students at the table during his first lunch with them.Lewis: Oh my God, I'm friends with you people...
*He buries his head in his hands.*
Lewis: What have I done?
- Played straight later on when Jocelyn shows Natalie a book about monsters. The first page is about a demon, which causes Lilith to resurface.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Jocelyn is often at the forefront of whatever it is she and her fellow students are doing, no matter how silly, or serious.
- Single-Stroke Battle: The battle between Lewis and Solana ends this way, with Lewis's chain going up against Solana's backpack swords. Lewis just barely manages to take the victory in the end.
- Wham Episode: The fight against Lilith takes the story in a much more serious direction, unexpected.