Inferno is a tumblr roleplay group loosely based off of of The Phantom of the Opera. Featuring characters from various incarnations of the story as well as completely original characters, the roleplay takes place in a modern day Paris overrun by crime. At the head of this crime is the Chaney organization, one of the most established mafias in Paris. Headed by Annabella Chaney, this organization has a complete monopoly on the drug trade and plays a large part in gambling, as well. But they are not the only organization in Paris in fact, although they don't know it, a new organization is rising to threaten them. That would be the Desler organization, run out of the newly restored Le Théâtre de Nuit by Erik Desler and Madalene Giry.
This roleplay follows characters from both organizations, as well as people who are neutral but involved in the plot for various reasons. Inferno is currently active and accepting new members.
Inferno contains examples of
- Alternate Universe Fic: Actually an alternate reality roleplay, but it still fits this trope.
- The Bad Guys Are Cops: Not exactly, but the Chaney organization does have most of the police force under its thumb.
- Framing Device: The first "season" of the roleplay is named after and takes place during the preparations for Le Théâtre de Nuit's new production of Faust.
- Gay Paree: A subversion of this trope, as the roleplay focuses mainly on the criminal activity of a fictional Paris.
- The Mafia: The basis of this trope, although since the setting is in Paris it doesn't have the usual American connotations.
- Setting Update: Inferno is set in modern-day Paris, wherein the original The Phantom of the Opera story is set in the early 1900s.
- The Syndicate: The Chaney organization could be seen as this.