Happy Hope Studios, commonly shortened to HH Studios or simply HH, is a tumblr-based roleplay based on the visual novel Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Twenty-two elite high school students are on their way to Happy Hope Studios to participate in live television interviews when things go horribly wrong... They wake up inside the film studio, trapped by twin robots Monty and Sally, and they are informed that they will be trapped there indefinitely. The only way out: murder a fellow student and get away with it!
HH Studios began on the 18th of June 2014 and was wrapped up with a trial summary in June 2015. It now has an in-progress sequel, Mr Monty's Neighbourhood, which started in May 2016.
Tropes featured in HH Studios include:
- Always Murder
- Anyone Can Die
- Body of the Week
- Children Forced to Kill
- The Computer Is Your Friend: Monty and Sally.
- Deadly Game: Under the guise of gaining fame at the Happy Hope Studios.
- Dwindling Party
- Evidence Scavenger Hunt
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Serendipitously subverted, in that the women of Weapons Club are associated with swords, and the men with bows and arrows.
- Hostile Show Takeover: By Monty and Sally, whose existence the students seemed not to be aware of until they actually arrived.
- Kangaroo Court:
- Chapter 1's trial was fairly focused, if long. Chapter 2's trial, on the other hand, devolved into personal arguments and insults getting thrown around left right and centre whilst simultaneously attempting to piece together the case.
- Then the next three chapters' trials, while each is filled with some humor, progressively get darker and darker as the numbers dwindle.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Engaged with on a meta level, in that Monty and Sally immediately posit murder as a rational solution to the competitive aspect of fame. Nobody else agrees.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Brought to new heights, in that Monty and Sally occasionally slip back into sounding like robots.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Engaged with on a meta level, in that Monty and Sally try to be your pals, but end up inspiring the Uncanny Valley effect more often than not.
- Sealed Room in the Middle of Nowhere: For a famous place, the Happy Hope Studios seem strangely isolated and impregnable thus far.
- Villain-Based Franchise: Averted, surprisingly! Despite being a Dangan Ronpa RP group, Monokuma's nowhere to be seen (at least, not yet). Instead, your mascots are a pair of Ridiculously Human Robots named Monty and Sally.
- Weapon of Choice: Subverted, in that 'Sally's Gifts' range from useful (e.g. a switchblade) to useless (e.g. a tube of glitter), and some students with existing weapons of choice (viz. Rin and Yasei) have them taken away.
- You All Meet in a Cell: Or, a film studio. Take your pick.