Free Republics is a nation in the online nation simulator NationStates. The nation is a massive nation with a population in the billions and a territory that expands across 4 continents. The Republicans are known for their extreme nationalism and their willingness to do anything to prove their nation's superiority. Currently, the nation is known as the Holy Republican Empire and is under the rule of a government backed by the Church of Saintland.
This Roleplay contains examples of:
- Alternative Calendar: Republican time revolves around the World Cup, with one World Cup cycle counting as a calendar year. The current year, however, is always the same as the current year in the real world.
- Church Militant: The True Church of Iesus Christus (Church of Saintland). The Church runs Consul Kulseth's Holy Party and plots a war of world conquest, hoping to bring about the apocalypse.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The Free Republics bears a striking resemblance to a certain real world superpower. Also, their colonies are based off of real world nations (Noburu Taiyou = Japan, Ciqi = China and Irad = Iran).
- Expy: Numerous Republican corporations
- Fantastic Racism: The Republican treatment of sapient ponies, who are commonly referred to as "talking horses," "farm animals" and other such slurs.
- False Flag Operation: The burning of the Assembly and Senate buildings. Although attributed to Feministvs Sanctvsterra and the Legion of Lucifer, it was actually carried out by the Holy Party to allow Consul Kulseth to seize dictatorial power.
- Also, Gregoryisgodistan and The Brotherhood inadvertently framed Feministvs Sanctvsterra for the assassination of Consul Piazza and attempted assassination of Samuel Izmailov, respectively.
- Jerkass: Former Republican National soccer coach Rule Theriault. Theriault made a name for himself by insulting almost every other nation and repeatedly claiming that his team was going to win the World Cup. The closest they ever came was second at World Cup 68.
- Loophole Abuse: Rule Theriault and Nova Hellstrom once conspired to get a Felixian reporter thrown in jail by taking advantage of a tort for "impugning the virtue" of a lady in one rural Republic. When the reporter refused to pay the fine, he was jailed and was only released after being pardoned by the Consuls.
- Patriotic Fervor: Republicans take this to extremes.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Subverted. A star player for the Republican National Soccer Team once raped the girlfriend of a player for a rival nation. The Republicans stood by him and, to this day, deny that the incident was a rape (because it wasn't, under Republican law).
- Shocking Swerve: Consul Kulseth's victory in the Cycle 69 election. Samuel Izmailov's National Greatness Party, along with their armies of Blueshirts seemed poised to win when Kulseth pulled off a victory that shocked everybody.