Las Vegas- a city famous through out the world for its glitz and glamour, its corruption, its gambling, its crime, its riches- now stands on the frontier of a fallen empire. When Harry Dresden destroyed the Red Court of Vampires forever, he did more then topple a major supernatural powerhouse. He shattered a tyrannical rule that had held a monopoly on everything south of the border for hundreds of years, now established powers are scrambling to lay claim to the freed territory and carve out their own Empires- and many see seizing Las Vegas as the first step in that direction.
One such figure- the Baron Giovanni Thorne, has pushed farther then any other in the struggle for control, making powerful friends and stronger enemies as he attempts to steamroll his expansionist agenda with the White Court's support, but the established power of the city- a Crime Queen known simply as The Madame, has something to say about that, and whatever he sorted history with the White Council, there is no denying that she is a force to be reckoned with. Yet even as tensions rise between the factions, another plot is afoot. Someone has stolen Mjölnir, The Hammer Of Thor, and brought it to Las Vegas in flight from Asgardian Justice, and is pursed in kind. While all the while a supernatural killer has begun to prey on the local small talent, killing them in a grisly and bloody ritual for unknown purposes...
Now it falls to a group twelve of characters from all walks of life to try and intervene, and help stop the madness before it is too late...or achieve their own goals while the chance presents itself. Either way the clock is ticking and the race is on to try and do something before a town on the edge hits its tipping point...
A Play By Post Forum RP taking place in The Dresden Files Universe, home to psycho thieves, Proud Warrior Race guys, pragmatic wizards, small talents, crazy fae, Norse gods, White Court Vampires that make Jack Harkness look like a Puritan, magical gang wars, and much, much more.
Also, a there is a collection of one-shots and short stories covering everything from Epilogues to back story to character development entitled "Side Quests" that can be found here. Another short story can be found here.
A IRC channel for general discussion and wackyness among the player is on the server "irc.gamesurge.net" in "#EdgeTown". See here for a web-interface.
This RP Contains examples of:
- Arc Words: For Alexander "A flicker" or some variation thereof.
- For Gabren "The best in light and darkness"
- Big Damn Heroes: Tim for the dam(n) Team when dealing with Puck.
- Blood Magic: How the killings are taking place...
- Bilingual Bonus: One of the Characters is German, another has German roots. The first tends to speak German if annoyed, the latter uses it for his spells. Norse is also used.
- The Madame and her daughter both tend to curse in French, and Antoinette uses it for her spells.
- Nadya curses in Russian.
- The Norse gods speak Norwegian, Jarl speaks Danish.
- Manisha is Indian and tends to curse in Hindi when particularly angry, but uses Russian for her spells.
- Chess Motifs: The Baron and Alexander engage in a lengthy chess match right before their final duel in Act 2. The entire scene and the one that follows are extremely sexually charged.
- City Noir: Not as much as Chicago...But it can get pretty dark all things considered.
- Clipped-Wing Angel: Gabrens Superpowered Evil Side takes over and goes for Amy. And for all the scary description...gets his ass kicked.
- Death Is Cheap: Disir can only be temporarily killed, unless a Valkyrie kills them. Wizards cheat, however.
- Deader Than Dead: A third of the Disir got killed of finally in the events of Arc I
- Deflector Shield: Loki uses a highly complicated and very powerful form of shield to protect himself. It has one glaring weakness however.
- Destructo-Nookie: Alex and Reinette have one, resulting in every piece of electronics in the room being slagged from wayward magic.
- Dungeon Bypass: A large battlefield is between some of the players and the right way. A gravity bridge above it is the solution.
- Elemental Powers: Everyone is throwing around something, but with varying degrees of skill. Jarl favors water, Tim Light and Gravity, Leon Lightning, Gabren fire, and so on.
- Gambit Pileup: We have The Bloody Mary Killer, the Wardens, the White Court, Colette's syndicate, Nadya, Monoc, and possibly others.
- Gods Use Reality As Television: Loki is apparently a fan of "The Real Wizards of the White Council", or more specific: Harry Dresden. Who is mostly dead at this point, so he needs alternate entertainment.
- Gone Horribly Right: Tim created a wakizashi for Kat to use, with the effect of her opening portals to the Nevernever. She (after not reading the manual) promptly finds an alternative use.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: One Disir meets her end after slamming through 34 floors of a hotel.
- Incest Subtext: Baron Giovanni claims the only reason he didn't rape Alexander into submission as tradition among White Court with their brood is because he wanted Alexander to be able to surpass him one day.
- Insane Troll Logic: When he finds Hector about to try and cut through a door's lock with his sword, Terrence comes to the conclusion that the former must be an enemy of doors.
- More Than Mind Control: The Madame's guards, who are already deeply in her thrall through purely non-magical means before they get collared.
- Oh, Crap!: The leader of the Disir has one as she realizes that Death Is Cheap no longer applies for them right now.
- Also, Isaac finds a grenade.
- Portal Cut: Kat's new wakizashi. See Gone Horribly Right.
- Power at a Price: Freyja grants her Blessing to the party....at the price of Alexander giving up his first love. (Which, since he has never been in true love, means that he is technically yet indebted to her...)
- Power Glows: Eir's blessing manifests as a dazzling gold light around Jarl.
- Physical God: Several appear, mostly Norse. Among them are Loki, Freyja, and Hel. Maeve (who being an immortal also counts) also makes a brief cameo.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Leon before he executes Adam.Leon: "A shame." *blam*
- Psychic Static: Attempted by Alexander against Madame Colette's mental attack. Consists of repeating the arc words of Hellsing over and over again. It helps him hold for a while, but is ultimately unsuccessful.
- Rule 63: A slow day and a schoolgirl uniform generator on the internet led to this:
- Science Marches On: In-Universe: Most Wizards use a five-element based system to describe magic: Fire, Water, Earth, Air and Spirit. Tim uses this and also uses the four principal forms of physical interaction (Gravity, Electromagnetic, Strong and Weak) with spirit as a second system. In a dualistic approach he is using both as appropriate. For example, most Wizards use Earth for gravity magic. Tim directly uses gravity. Though he has so far not being able to use Strong and Weak force (which is probably for the better.)
- Tim apparently reads Web Comics (somehow):Tim: "Science. It works. Bitch."
- Alexander hums "Les Mis" while he fights Reinette.
- We also have Hellsing for him
- Freyja seems to be a fan of The Wheel of Time.
- Gabren wears a standard issue Organization XIII Black Cloak, and wears all black armor with a breathing device on the helmet, reminiscent of Darth Vader. He even occupies a very similar place to Vader in an organization.
- And now, with the recent actions by Amy, Gabren's finally hit the peak of his rage, and is making noises like that of The Wretched Egg. He even calls in a car called Deadman's Hearse. And, needless to say, its rather freaky to hear these kinds of noises made by him.
- Tim apparently reads Web Comics (somehow):
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Easier to point out exceptions than examples. It's a general rule that most of the main characters have drastically different goals, personalities, and styles.
- Television Geography: It must be extremely fun for anyone who's actually been too or lived in Vegas to read the RP.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Leon can launch his blade with telekinesis and aim it to where it needs to go.
- Truce Zone: The Eden Garden Tavern And Inn.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Tim and Jarl have this dynamic. Also, Kat and Jarl, when Tim is not around.
- World of Snark: True to the universe.
- You All Meet in an Inn: Averted. Most have been to the Eden Garden, just at different times. Played Straight with some chars and a Paranet meeting in a library, however.