DAMMED is a Sci-Fi Military roleplay located on deviantART.
Demons are captured by the Facility and bonded with humans who have 'volunteered'. And when they bond Demons become kinda human and humans gain some powers.
The group can be located here.
DAMMED contains examples of:
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The story is currently set in the year 2016. It started off mirroring real time, but timeskips have set it ahead a couple of years.
- Admiring the Abomination: Some humans are more fascinated about demons than terrified.
- Aerith and Bob: Names can range from mundane to interesting to a little bit weird.
- Aliens Speaking English: Justified. Bonded pairs learn each others languages upon bonding.
- Alternate Universe: The universe and its history is essentially the same except there are demons.
- Artistic License: Members are not scientists. People join the group for fun and when you get down to it, there are magical demons running around. Who cares if things aren't plausible.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Dalton Harper Brigsby II, Fascination, Winter Moon Tamasheveska and Ambrose Crowley are a few. Justified to a degree as a lot of the demons pick their own names.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Shadow demons aren't necessarily bad. At least, bad compared to a lot of other demons.
- Dark World: Kind of. Shadows are portals into, well, the Shadows, a vast dimension that physically mirrors the real world in which all darkness gathers. Some shadow demons can pass through it at will, but it's not a livable space.
- Elemental Powers: Each demon is born with one of eight elements that they can use at will: Fire (manipulation of fire and temperature), Water (includes ice and water vapour), Blood, Wind (control over air currents and gasses, can also extend to control over sound), Earth (control over soil, rocks, minerals, etc.), Plant (the only element besides blood that extends control over other living organisms), Electric (can extend to something as big as lightning bolts to shorting out a toaster, to sensing electrical impulses in the body), Holy (manipulation of light, purification and healing, hard to use offensively but not impossible), and Shadow (the direct opposite of holy, control over shadows and also corruption). Bonded humans share their partner's element.
- Fantastic Racism: Most humans really dislike demons and some actively hunt them. Demons usually feel the same way.
- Fun with Acronyms: DAMMED stands for Demon And Man Military Experimental Division. DEVIL stands for... something else.
- Fusion Dance: The final stage of bonding allows two partners to merge and separate their bodies and minds at will.
- Grass Is Greener: Theyre at a military base. They want to get out. They wind up on a deserted island with almost no rules. They want to get out. Theyre captured and housed in a research facility. They want to get out.
- Humanoid Abomination: Many of the bonded demons, whilst still appearing human, have odd quirks that make them rather frightening to look at.
- Humanshifting: Demons gain a human form when theyre bonded.
- Hungry Jungle: The island itself isnt actively malevolent but the demons in there need to eat.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Many of the demons, before being bonded, ate humans.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Demons, when theyre first bonded. Eventually it becomes Voluntary Shapeshifting when they learn to turn back, but their human form is still the default.
- Light Is Not Good: Holy's main ability is healing, but some holy demons can be all-out dicks.
- Not Afraid to Die: Despite the repercussions of death, such as the partner dying too, many characters are not afraid of what lies beyond life.
- Not Quite Human: Occasionally bonded demons are Ambiguously Human but more often than not theyre a Little Bit Beastly and carry traits from their demon forms that give them away, such as Unusual Ears, horns, tails and unusually-coloured hair and eyes.
- Our Demons Are Different: They're completely unrelated to heaven or hell and are more or less magical creatures with elemental powers. Demons are split between lesser and greater; the former are more akin to animals in terms of intellect, while greater demons have greater brainpower.
- Poisonous Person: All demons, technically. Their blood is toxic to humans, except for those whose personalities are compatible. Without a blood user who can sense viable blood bonds, bonding has a one in a million chance of success.
- The Power of Blood:
- Humans must drink a demons blood to blood bond the two together. But demons blood is toxic—if its not the right demon, the human dies.
- Technically falls under water but species of demons that can manipulate blood are rare and can only use blood, not other liquids. Regular water demons can't use it for OOC reasons, and blood users are reserved for moderator use. Blood demons/users can also sense potential bonds between other humans and demons, so there's that.
- The Power of Friendship: Getting along with your partner makes you more powerful.
- Really 700 Years Old: Demons can live for an awful long time. Bonded humans and demons are effectively immortal unless killed.
- Sliding Scale of Beauty: Since each demon species is designed by a different person, there's a huge range of appearances for demons. Some are Cute Monsters. Others are weirdly humanoid, while others are Killer Rabbits, and so on.
- Slow Transformation: Over decades and centuries, humans sometimes end up developing traits of their demons, eg. slitted pupils, claws and fangs.
- Synchronization: Bonded humans share their demons elemental powers. Bonded pairs also feel each other's pain, know each other's languages, and die together. The highest level of synchronization even lets them merge bodies.
- Tailor-Made Prison: Facility 66. Everything is designed with the intent of containing demons—and superpowered humans. Anti-demon barrier technology is strung up all around the island, boxing them in quite effectively.
- Together in Death: Literally. If one partner dies, the other does too.