Pokémon: Cross Region Adventure is a forum Role Play hosted on Chao Island. It is chock full of unresolved subplots and twists that never went anywhere, but nevertheless survived from February 7th, 2012 - March 18th, 2013, culminating in a 498-page long thread. It features a few notable canon characters from the Pokémon games themselves, such as N Harmonia and Ein, but the rest are purely fanmade.
The story opens up from several different points of view: a pair of Shaymin on the Flower Paradise are making their way home before an impending storm, a young Eevee is settling down to rest for the night elsewhere in the world, a teenage Pokemon trainer is setting out on her journey while silently under watch by a curious wild Kirlia, and so forth until something happens along each path that drives the characters involved on an epic quest, eventually culminating in them crossing paths with one another.
This role play provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Unfortunately, several. A lot of subplots were left unresolved due to some of the participants leaving the roleplay, but a few others were either dropped for various other reasons, or just plain forgotten about as time went on.
- Action Girl: Many of the female characters certainly qualify; Rikki, Amber, Alida, and Serena being standout examples.
- Adaptational Villainy: Ein is far more sadistic and less pragmatic than he was in Colosseum.
- Ambiguous Gender: Along with Articuno and Moltres, Zapdos makes a small appearance a little ways in. It is initially referred to as female, but when it briefly reappears later, it's called a "he" in the narration. Granted, it's technically just as genderless here just as it is in the games proper.
- Dark Is Not Evil: A good number of the Dark-type Mon characters - Bella, Mane, Neo, and Midnite all being notable examples - are pretty firmly on the side of good despite any negative stigmas surrounding their species.
- Enemy Mine: Gamil-Sin and Vladimir agree to temporarily merge their armies together while waging war against the common enemy they both have in Kareena. The alliance becomes permanent later on, however, when the former sets aside his grudge against Vladimir after clearing up the very misunderstanding that had caused them to become enemies in the first place.
- MacGuffin: In the first arc, the mystical Time Flute that is said to be located at the Ilex Forest shrine. The group of wild Pokémon seek it out in order to reverse the effects of Vladimir's failed hypnotism pills on Light and Bella, who have had their pelts dyed unnatural colors as a side effect.
- Pals with Jesus: A few legendary and mythical Pokémon appear here and there. All of them (sans Giratina) are noble, and actually subservient to at least one "regular" member of the cast: the Kanto bird trio to Princess Xylacia, Zekrom to N, and a few others. Taken to an almost literal degree at one point, where the two Shaymin spend a bit of time with Arceus post-mortem.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Sableye Band working under the Ace of Spades, who drop in to heckle the main group now and again on their travels. Or at least, they try to.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The main characters, almost all of whom are wild Pokémon who travel together and grow stronger over the course of the story.
- Wide Open Sandbox: A sort of roleplaying example. There isn't much present in terms of plot, and the entirety of Cross Region Adventure is more like a collection of free-range character arcs, subplots, and stories. It isn't until about 400+ pages in that this changes, and the RP actually does begin to pick up a consistent storyline.