An RP on Fan Fiction.net taking place in/based on the world of Valkyria Chronicles, and specifically the of Valkyria Chronicles II, covering the times and fortunes of one of the groups of unsung heroes of the Gallian Civil War, Class E.
As EC 1936 comes to a close, the continent of Europa is wracked by war, most prominantly the titanic struggle that is the Second Europan War between the two dominant superpowers, the East Europan Imperial Alliance and the Atlantic Federation, with continental and thus global supremacy. However, between their feet but far from beneath their notice lies the true subject of the story.
The Principality of Gallia has struggled to survive and maintain its' neutrality in the line of fire between the two warring juggernauts. Thus far, it has succeeded albeit at high cost. However, a new threat now threatens from within. Having narrowly avoided conquest by the Empire two years ago, Gallia has since managed to make peace with their old enemy, and for a while it appeared that there would be time to recover and rebuild from the trauma of a conflict that claimed over a tenth of the Gallian population and most of its' military in just over half a year.
The peace was scarcely signed when Archdutchess Cordelia gi Randgriz revealed her true heritage (and the heritage of her family line) as Darcsen rather than Valkyria (as they had maintained for centuries) in an effort to try and heal the wounds of racial prejudice.
This backfired horrifically, as large segments of the population rebelled against the idea of being ruled by a Darcsen, many of them literally. In response, opponents of the government launch what they call the Gallian Revolution, aimed at not merely the deposition of House Randgriz, but also the eradication of Darcsens from Gallia entirely.
Still devastated from the invasion and legally unable to call upon the national militia (and unable to necessarily trust them to remain loyal if they were) in the civil war, the government is forced to take drastic measures to mobilize forces to confront the insurrection, and one source they tap are the cadets of Lanseal Royal Military Academy, who are called upon to man the Southern front almost alone.
Well, this is where a *few* differences start to pop up.
Has a very much so Work-In-Progress Character Sheet. As of this March 2012, Class E Chronicles has undergone a complete reboot, making a new timeline to kick-start from the very beginning.
This Roleplay contains examples of:
- Badass Bookworm: Kevin. An avid reader of books (especially those of the Cavalier Years). He's also quite the leader of a squad.
- Death Seeker: Zamuel wants to die almost as much as he wants to kill "haters". Almost.
- Doomed Hometown: Several towns where some of the students come from had been hit by the Imperials during the war two years ago.
- Fictional Counterpart: Several movies and books from the early 1900's are often referenced by Erlina and Kevin respectively.
- A notable example is "All Quiet on the Eastern Front."
- Miles' comic book, The Half-Life of Adrian Shephard, has Shephard as an Aperture Science Physicist instead of an HECU soldier.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Carol has a scar on her leg and Isabelle has a cross shaped one on her forehead. Gail has shark bite scars on her left upper arm, torso and thigh.
- Heroes of Another Story: The entire concept behind the RP: the adventures of a class other than G or A during the course of 1937. In fact, Class E doesn't get mentioned at all outside of a DLC mission, allowing a degree of liberties to be taken.
- The Matchmaker: Erlina. She finds amusement and fulfilment in being able to manipulate a relationship herself, often thinking that she's providing the people a service for a greater good. She can often screw up just as much as she fixes though.
- Nice Hat:
- Kevin normally wears a patrol cap reminiscent to German soldiers from WWII, but is known to have other hats on his person as a sign of individuality.
- Mikhail is often seen wearing his father's old naval cap.
- Ashley sometimes wears an old naval cap.
- No Social Skills: Miles. He largely isolates himself reading comics. And he usually gets uncomfortable when Erlina has to forcefully drag him into any social activity; often literally.
- Officer and a Gentleman: Kevin aspires to be one of these. While not of any noble background himself, he is still a leader, has a sense of honor, and he tries to keep himself at the upmost gentlemanly behavior, especially around women. But he still has his "normal" self poke through occasionally. When he's around guys, Erlina, or the pressure of combat, he usually drops most of his formalities and is more casual.
- One of the Boys: Erlina Alexander often reflects upon how she typically has more male friends than female ones. It could be that she's a bit of a Tomboy... maybe it's because she's a playful flirt... or, maybe because she's very pretty, even when she's not trying... Nonetheless, she does make attempts to reach back in touch with her feminine side.
- Sole Survivor: Carol's village was hit by a Darcsen hunt. Everybody, except her, where either killed or captured and sent to concentration camps. She was lucky not to be found.
- The Tease: Whether she does it intentionally or not (over half the time it's still intentional), Erlina often playfully flirts with boys, not exactly looking for a relationship. In truth, Erlina revealed in her thoughts that she has bad social skills with girls, and she finds it much easier to simply bat an eyelash towards boys. She also finds a comfortable sense of control over males, and finds that they're more willing to be her friend once she throws them a playful look.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: As they're students assigned to fight an entire front of the Civil War, the last two go hand in hand.
Tropes of the New Continuity:
- Fantastic Racism: A very specific example occurs during the latest events of Lanseal's Measuring Day. After a hilarious series of events involving the barrier between the boys' and girls' sections in the gym for measuring being knocked down, exposing a portion of both sides to each other's good looks, various students ended up focusing their dislike of Imperials on Kelda. Their unending stream of barbs toward her height, looks, and even an expression of lewd intentions drove her to tears... and got a girl suplexed by Yulia.
- Great Escape: Ethan helped plan this in an Imperial P.o.W. Camp in the desert before joining the escapees on a march back to friendly lines.
- Heroic BSoD: Morgan goes into shellshock after her first kill, but after coming to terms with it, she's ready to keep on.
- Mega-Corp: Europan Ragnite Technology Services (ERTS) Corporation - largest private defence contractor for the Federation and has three subsidiaries which are its ground, naval and air forces in every practical sense.
- Mildly Military: Zig-zagged. Radio callsigns and military jargon are used, but personal interactions between some characters and others are hardly formal even during a battle.0
- What the Hell, Hero?: Everyone who witnessed Gustava's brutal killing of a Rebel and subsequently pumping his corpse full of bullets decided that something needed to be done about such a thing. And that that sort of behavior was completely unacceptable in general. Maggie in particular had her view on what to do about Rebels changed by this incident...
Tropes of the Old Continuity:
- Broken Bird: Elizabeth. After losing her boyfriend in a squad-wide massacre in Barious desert by Selvaria Bles and the Imperial forces, Elizabeth has gotten much more cynical and serious with her outlook on military service. She blames herself for falling in love and making herself "weak" in the process. But her experience and outlook has made her into something of a Stern Mentor towards the younger Class E students, often encouraging characters like Shrinking Violets into shaping up and being braver.Elizabeth: "Ugh... falling for him was... a mistake. My parents, I could deal with. The squad's prejudice, I could deal with. All of their insults, his insults, they were things I could deal with. But falling for him made me... more emotional fragile than I could've possibly imagine. And thus, on that fateful day... I was broken."
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Katie to a horrific degree. She's a genki girl and during the New Year's party, she takes one mere swig of champagne, then goes off to try and hit on Katarina, gets in a verbal fight with drunk Zamuel, ends up being apprehended by Ashley, Mikhail, and Adam, then passes out on Ashley's bed, but not before making drunken pick-up attempts on her as well.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Katarina and Eclaire. The latter is the former's servant, and has been so since she was first found by Katarina's family. The two have been good friends since childhood, and Eclaire actually got into Lanseal so she could serve as added assurance that Katarina would be okay out in the hardships of campus life.
- Little Black Dress: The center of a comical skit. Erlina wears a rather nicely form-fitting one inspired by Audrey's own during the New Year's party. She brought Miles along to help her judge the dress, for a male's opinion... naturally, he reacts, and hilarity ensues.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: If Headmaster Lawrence Kluivert wasnt Katarinas uncle, she wouldnt even be at Lanseal because of her Split Personality disorder.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Carol and Katie both swing that way. They are holding hands and touching their foreheads together while talking about how they'll stick up for each other.
- Sole Survivor:
- Katarina is the last surviving member of her Blue Blood family.
- Kevin lead a squad of civilians in defense of his hometown when it was attacked by The Empire . While the makeshift militia succeeded in buying the citizens time for evacuation, Kevin was the only survivor of his particular group. He's gotten over it with only the occasional moment ofsurvivor guilt.
- Garret is one of the few students who survives alongside Scarlett in the series of the class' unfortunate history.
- Unfortunate Names: Katie's last name is Syrup, a fact she is rather bitterly aggrieved by. This spins from her original name, Kaede Shippuru - which means "Maple Syrup".
- Written-In Absence: Garret and Sarah both have this in their background. The former was actually a member of Class E for the last 3 years, making him one of the sole survivors of the class' history along with Scarlett. He was gone, due to him being off visiting the remains of his hometown. Sarah on the other hand, was cleared to be admitted to Lanseal, though difficulties with her parents prevented her from going sooner.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Katie sports locks of green hair. This is actually lampshaded by a fellow squad-member during the Arlem skirmish, who believes she has "camouflage growing on her head" while traversing through a patch of tall grass.