It takes place in a carnival where eighteen students of Hopes' Peak are dropped off on a field trip. The doors swing shut behind the students as the last one files in, locking them in forever. The only way out of the carnival is to kill another student and get away with it- not once, but twice! Will these talented students escape from the twisted circus together, or will they slowly succumb to despair?
There's all the time in the world for these students, so sit back with some peanuts and cracker jacks, and enjoy the carnival while it lasts.
Starting in October of 2014, the roleplay was abandoned the following February during Chapter 4.
Cirque Mortum contains examples of:
- Accidental Murder: When Amelia asked Misaki to go on the merry-go-round, Misaki started telling her about death, and killing, and in a blind rage Amelia accidentally killed her. She tried to fix Misaki, but it was already too late. In the end, she votes for herself in the class trial.
- Apologizes a Lot: Whenever Tadanuki thinks that he's offended someone, he apologizes to them.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Kitome is not a real life last name.
- Body of the Week: There's at least one body discovery a week, and afterwards is a class trial.
- Class Trip: They were only supposed to be going to the carnival for a day.
- Children Forced to Kill: The students have to kill not one classmate, but two in order to escape.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The executions. The one for the first culprit involved being shot at repeatedly while performing her final piece of music. When she's almost dead, the man who had stolen her eye is the one who shoots and kills her.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Gender-inverted. Tadanuki constantly falls and trips, and has to watch where he's going. Once, when he didn't, he ended up trapped in a spinning tunnel.
- Forged Message: In case one, Amelia had ended up forging Aaron's name onto the wall of the crime scene, and made it look like the victim did it.
- Horrible Judge of Character: When Tadanuki hears about the class list consisting of several hitmen and a robber, all he says is that he hopes that they're nice. And when he meets people that seem mean, he even tries to befriend them.
- Karmic Death: When someone kills another student, and they're discovered by their classmates, they get the axe.
- Must Make Amends: When Amelia is found out in the first class trial by Tadakuni, after she admits that she's done it, she ends up voting for herself.
- Not Me This Time: Aaron, who is a hitman, had his name written in blood at the first crime scene, making it seem like he did it.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Tadanuki goes by Tada, and is never called by his full name.
- Prone to Tears: Do not make Tadakuni cry. It takes a miracle to stop. He cries after most of the class trials, and whenever a body is found.