Cirque du Nie is a Play By Post Game group from the website DeviantArt. It is a horror-themed story, set in the Victorian Era. It follows a set plot, but characters created by members interact with the story as it goes along. It's basically a Circus of Fear.
It follows the adventures of the Cirque du Nie, a travelling freak show, led by the manager, Sebastian. Most of the freaks were once human, but lured into the circus by Sebastian, who invites them to drink a toast in friendship (thus, unknowingly signing a Deal with the Devil). He then binds them with a Magically Binding Contract and the character wakes up, transformed into a freak, with many mysteries and horrors to come...
Cirque du Nie provides examples of:
- The Chessmaster: Sebastian. Again.Sebastian: Don't you get it... I have the power to go anything to you... I can kill every single person in this damn cirque who you hold close... Make them beg for their lives unless I end them.... Doesn't this go through your little shit piece for a brain? I can take Everything from you.
- Demonic Possession: Happens to Achi. A LOT. In a similar way, Hyungmin's body was eaten completely by maggots- and so, her maggots now have her body, while she maintains control over the maggots. Double possession, in a way.
- Evil Plan: Timothy kidnaps Emily and runs away with her, saying that he will control the power of the Cirque. He gets cornered, then killed by Sebastian (who is in a rage that Timothy tried to hurt Emily).
- Eye Scream: One of the Manager's favorite punishments is to rip or stab the freaks' eyes out.
- Guy-on-Guy Is Hot: When Beckers gets possessed and waltzes with Jean.Daniella: Well ... this is a bit awkard to watch...
Pat: Indeed it is, Daniella.... but... at the same time..... [giggles]
Lemon: Very awkward...
Jean: I'd like you all to know I only do this because I am absolutely certain with my sexuality. So shut up.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Some of the freaks dream of returning to their previous lives, while others have accepted that they may never escape.
- If You're So Evil, Eat This Kitten!: Sebastian orders Beckers to whip Daniella, to prove that he doesn't love her.
- Living Doll Collector: NPC Isabelle, who lures men away and turns them into dolls.
- Love Triangle: Max and Pat fight over Fiona... who is in love with Jean. But what's even worse is that Jean loves Carmelle, who is in love with Nightly.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Oh, Lacey.Lacey: If you didn't say so... I'd think that there was something wrong, master.
- Our Ghosts Are Different:
- The smoke figures who seem to be people from the past, some of which cry blood diamond tears (that leave marks on the hands of those who touch them).
- One of them also possesses Achi at one point, and gets him killed. He gets better.
- They also try to attack the freaks.
- One of them appears in the form of Achi, and taunts the characters.
- One even possesses Sebastian, and takes control of the Cirque as Manager.
- Parental Substitute: Daniella looks after Achi like her own child. Later on, she takes Hyungmin under her wing as well. Nightly agrees to take on the role of being Kairi's father.
- People Puppets: Lemon has the power to control small dolls and puppets, but she can control people, too.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Hasami and Pat are extremely skilled musicians, and Nightly obsesses over sewing and sketching flowers.
- Resurrective Immortality: Nightly kills Sebastian at one point, but it turns out that he can't stay dead. The freaks are only brought back if Sebastian signs them rebirth contracts.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Jean suffers from being taken over by his tattoo personas. Especially Az.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Sebastian receives sympathy from a few characters, including Sarah and Jack.Jack: Maybe he's really lonely... and he's scared of losing us, so he tries his hardest to keep us with him!
- White Mask of Doom: December, who has a mask locked onto his face that can only be removed- with Sebastian's key.