So, there are many text RPs in the Fora . There are many RPs in the Game FAQS. Hell, there are even two or three Metroid RPs going on GameFAQs. So what makes the Bounty Hunter Inn so damn special is the fact that this particular RP has been going on for several years now. Currently going by topic number 36, and that's not counting all the topics that have gone down for inactivity and those modded for off-topic posting.
But what is the Bounty Hunter Inn (abbreviated BHI) about? Well, people create characters and they play around the titular inn. And as you may have also guessed, many of these characters are bounty hunters, of the Metroid kind. As to what they do, let's just say it generally involves fighting. And stuff exploding.
Here's a link to the official BHI board.
Interestingly, while the game is mostly centered on the Metroid universe, this has been merged over time with the universes concerning these series:
- Doctor Who (AKA Whoniverse
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (one of the founder's player character was Link after being Phazon-infused)
- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
- Aborted Arc: The Drakorian Invasion event had to be
canceledfast-forwarded when the event master Pyre_AssaultX left. It was later picked up again and retconnedinto the invaders having left the planet for not quite clear reasons.
- Ax-Crazy: There have been a few, but the most notable has been Zekana.
- Berserk Button: NEVER should you make Kal'des angry.
- Cerebus Syndrome
- Continuity Lockout: New players will often have to ask exactly what is going on before jumping in. Hell, old ones coming back ffom a rest may find themselves confused. Thankfully, most people can give you a briefing handily.
- Cute Bruiser: Maria's transformation into a pseudo-minotaur that can beat up Drakorians even better than the resident minotaur.
- Cutscene Power to the Max: Scripted Battles tend to happen in far less time than normal ones, even if more than one writer is involved.
- Kudzu Plot: Everyone can choose to build their backstory through flashbacks and random comments, and they are free to also write some sideline event.
- Laser Blade: These used to be pretty damn popular.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Everyone has a player characters... and is allowed to bring along as many NPCs as he or she wishes.
- Mysterious Past: We wish we had a coin for everyone whose character starts with one of these.
- We'd be even richer if we had a second one for every time that this turns out to be less than pleasing.
- Myth Arc: Averted, as there is no ongoing plot around the events other than "they are at the Inn and still haven't died".
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Many, many of them.
- Put on a Bus: Either when a player is bored with his current player character or when they have to go into a hiatus of playing.
- Whenever a player goes MIA, though, their characters are simply not referred to as long as it is possible.
- Squick: Metal_Ganon once wrote a few posts of Space Pirate erotica. People thought the same as you.
- Retcon: Several have been needed as a result of either the Metroid canon clearing up some Epileptic Trees or because some player has left and their characters had a big role in the
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Not our future, but the timeline is set some indefinite time after the main Metroid canon.
- Total Party Kill: Whenever someone does something particularly stupid in the midst of a sequence, the Event Master has the authority of explaining why that was a bad move by describing the end of the lives of everyone involved. GAME OVER: Please insert coin to continue.
- Of course, those involved can simply replay the turn and think with a better strategy. Event Masters are not allowed to be pricks.