Normal school years are boring, right? But they're also kind of comforting. You generally won't get attacked by monsters, exposed to dangerous technology, or confront horrendous entities created from pure evil in a normal school year, right?
In the case of a certain group of Japanese High School students, wrong.
A Slice of Life, also known as How not to Have a Normal School Year, is a Play by Post RP located right here, on the TV Tropes forums. It's about a group of Japanese High School students who slowly get drawn into a strange world of futuristic technology and strange, magical beings.
It can be found here. It ran for a little over a year before interest was lost.
A Slice of Life contains examples of:
- Buxom Is Better: The Running Joke with Hanako is that her breasts seem to have some sort of magnetic attraction to the eyes, regardless of your gender or sexual preferences.
- Custom Uniform: Yoko wears her neckscarf as a hair accessory.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Arisu is so diehard she wears her bloomers and petticoats with her school uniform.
- Emotionless Girl: Koari appears to be this, but the trope is actually subverted. She does have emotions, she just doesn't show them unless she knows a person extremely well.
- Genki Girl: Shimizu Hanako is the epitome of a loud, cheerful girl.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Inverted. Meet Sato Yoko, the Straight-A Student From Kyoto.
- Improbably Female Cast: There are exactly two male player-characters as of this writing, and five female. Six if you count the librarian.
- Jerkass: Let's face it: Jiro's an unlikable bastard who deserves any punishment he gets.
- Keigo: Yoko speaks a very ladylike Kyoto-ben, rendered as slightly Edwardian English. Her thoughts, on the other hand, are informal, tinged lightly with Kansai-ben, and occasionally laced with profanity.
- Nice Guy: Akio's a pretty decent person.
- No Social Skills: Koari lacks any sort of actual social experience, to the point where she doesn't realize reading hentai doujinshi in public is weird.
- Selective Obliviousness: Several of the female characters (even Maki at one point!) have made advances of some kind on Akio, and he has not even shown a hint of realising what's going on.
- Shout-Out: Maki's three favourite Manga series are based on both The Massive Multi-Fandom RPG and Mariglenica Records Of A Multiversal War.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Every person in the thread has, at one point or another, misspelled 'Koari' as the much-more common name 'Kaori'. Maki calling her Kaori is deliberate.
- This Is Reality: Akio and several others.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Shirts are exclusively for people not named Tatsu Shino, apparently.