ASM Cores is a TinyMUX and deviantART based Roleplay group that involves anthropomorphized cores (corrupt or otherwise) from the Valve game Portal. These are more or less Ridiculously Human Robots. It started out in a Livestream by the artist forte-girl7 on deviantART. Since then it has approximately a dozen active members. The main storyline has diverted from the actual theme of portals and puzzle solving, with story arcs that weeks (and sometimes months) long involving action, drama and mystery.
The group has been somewhat dissolved since early 2013, and the actual MUSH server has since been taken offline. As of September 2015, there are plans and beginnings of a sort of revival, and as such some of the information here might be outdated or no longer canon.
Tropes in the main ASM universe:
- Ambiguous Innocence: Nina had a moment of this during her infected state during the Black Mesa story arc.
- Balance Between Good and Evil: This has been less true since the truce, but the basic theme still remains in most of the plot arcs.
- Big Brother Instinct: Seems to be present in most characters, especially concerning Nina. Band is probably the best example of this trope.
- Crapsack World: Considering that this takes places after the events of Portal 2 (and during the events of Half-Life 2), it's to be expected.
- Dysfunction Junction: And how!
- FaceHeel Turn: Tenacity's quite skilled at provoking these.
- For Science!: This IS Aperture Science, folks.
- Grey and Gray Morality
- Hive Mind: The Black Mesa Entity was this.
- Killed Off for Real: Spy Core. The first and only permanent playable character death in the Mesa arc.
- Legal Jailbait: All the children are only aesthetically minors but even so, they act and are treated as such.
- Mama Bear: Band gets this way over a lot of people in the facility, especially with (but not limited to) Atlas and Nina.
- Older Than They Look: ROBOTS. This even technically applies to the (few) humans.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Surprisingly often, actually.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Played straight with The Controller and Eve.
- Reset Button: The reassembly machines are reset buttons in a physical sense.
- Ridiculously Human Robots
- Robot Girl: Arguably the female robots could be considered this. The spirit of this trope's often poked fun at, especially with Band (much to her chagrin)
- Robot Kid: Timid and Nina were built to resemble children. MAC's Perkins-built body could be considered this too.
- Deci could also be considered this, though she is one of the 'older' children with an apparent age of 8
- Stupidest Thing I've Ever Heard: Band, according to her creator's boss.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Mostly averted; the majority of Cores have natural-looking hair colors. Eve and Intrepid (as well as Timid) seem to be the only major deviations, with light pink and cyan hair respectively.
- MAC also had lavender hair, but that was in his smaller child-body