Storm Force Accelatron is a teacup spinner attraction that's located in the Marvel Super Hero Island area at Universal's Islands of Adventure.
The ride follows Storm and Professor Xavier of the X-Men, as they are once again faced with the threat of Magneto, who is preparing to launch a full-scale assault on humanity. Desperate to stop his former friend, Professor X constructs the "Accelatron" - a device that can amplify the powers of any mutant it's used on, enough to make them more than able to defeat Magneto. Knowing the already-powerful extent of her weather powers, he ultimately chooses Storm to be amplified. The only catch of the Accelatron is that it needs to be powered manually by a whole group of people; and due to being short on staff, Professor X decides to recruit normal guests to power the machine.
The small attraction opened in 2000, a year after the rest of the park opened; being added in as a quick way of boosting capacity and offering more for families to do while in the area.
Tropes shown in Storm Force Accelatron include:
- All There in the Manual: If you don't read the four signs along the queue line (which are difficult to see if the line is short), you'll be very confused as to what's going on.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: This ride is more-or-less Universal's equivalent of the Mad Tea Party ride at the Disney Theme Parks.
- Amplifier Artifact: The Accelatron device is designed to greatly magnify Storm's weather powers.
- Continuity Snarl: Storm outfit in this attraction is completely different from the one she wears on the facade of the nearby comic book store.
- Contrived Coincidence: Professor X manages to finish a device that amplifies mutant powers just when Magneto begins his rampage.
- Dramatic Wind: Throughout the ride, wind is blown at the riders, for both dramatic purposes and to give off the feeling of the device powering up.
- Dramatic Thunder: At certain points in the ride, loud thunder will sound.
- Epileptic Flashing Lights: This occurs in correspondence to the thunder.
- Excuse Plot: The plot is pretty much just to justify why there's a teacup ride in the city of superheroes.
- Expansion Pack: This was a quickly put together add-on for Marvel Super Hero Island, opening a year after the park first started up.
- Hamster-Wheel Power: The Accelatron is powered by guests spinning the wheel in their vehicles.
- Minimalist Cast: There are only three characters in this ride: Professor X, Storm, and Magneto.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Storm is depicted with having all-white eyes, even when she's not using her powers.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Whoulda thought that playing the role of a technician could be like a theme park ride?
- NameTron: The name of the device that the ride centers around is "Accelatron".
- One-Man Army: Magneto is shown carrying out his invasion all by himself, not needing any Brotherhood at all. Professor X mentions that not even the combined might of the X-Men is enough to stop him this time around.
- Purple Is Powerful: Storm's outfit here is a mixture of purple and black.
- Recycled Premise: In many ways, the ride's plot is very similar to Doctor Doom's Fearfall, as both attractions involve the guests being used to power up a device.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: At the end, Professor X informs the riders that Magneto is now retreating in response to Storm's display of power.
- Sensory Abuse: The ride hits you with fast spinning motions, wind, flashing lights, and loud rock music on top of everything else.
- When Things Spin, Science Happens: As stated before, spinning the ride vehicles is what generates power for the Accelatron.
- Wolverine Publicity: Averted. Despite being an X-Men ride, the Trope Namer is nowhere to be seen.