Opened on July 17, 1955, Disneyland Park in California was created by Walt Disney. The park was created as a place for him to bring his movies to life in a family-friendly environment. The park had a very rough opening daynote but it became successful anyways. The park celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2005 with the "Happiest Homecoming on Earth." It is currently the second most visited theme park in the world, the only one ahead of it is its sister park Magic Kingdom in Florida.
In 2001, it expanded into Disneyland Resort with the opening of a second theme park: Disney California Adventure.note Besides the second park, the resort is home to Downtown Disney, a shopping and dining complex that was named after the one in Florida,note as well as three hotels. The first is Disneyland Hotel which opened with the park. The second hotel is Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, designed to evoke an early 1900s craftsman style of architecture. And the third hotel is Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel which overlooks the (formerly) similarly titled section of California Adventure.
Disneyland Park is split into nine themed lands.
- Main Street, U.S.A.: Based on an early 20th century mid-America small town. It features a theater, town hall, train station, horse-drawn carriages, and many other small town oddities leading up from the square at the park entrance, up the main street, and to the Central Plaza where Sleeping Beauty Castle is located.
- Adventureland: Based on the remote jungles in Asia and Africa, this land combines the experiences of traveling into the unknown. The three big attractions here are the Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure and Tarzan's Treehouse. It also has the classic attraction Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.
- New Orleans Square: Added to the park in 1966, it is based on 19th century New Orleans. The area was added to be the home for two of Disney's most famous attractions: Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion, as well as the nighttime show Fantasmic! and the exclusive Club 33.
- Frontierland: Based on America's frontier, the main attraction is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The land also features the Rivers of America surrounding Tom Sawyer's Island. The river features two attractions that travel on it both the Mark Twain Riverboat and the Sailing Ship Columbia.
- Critter Country: Added to the park in 1972 under the name Bear Country, it was renamed to its current name in 1988; it's a Funny Animal take on The Other Rainforest. The main attractions are Splash Mountain, based on Disney's Song of the South (it's unclear why they made a ride based off of it), and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which replaced the Country Bear Jamboree.
- Fantasyland: Based on a medieval European village, the land is the embodiment of fairy tales. The most famous attractions here are Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World (which you will now have stuck in your head for the rest of the day... you're welcome), and the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Sleeping Beauty Castle is the main meeting place here.
- Mickey's Toontown: Added to the park in 1993, it is based (partially) on Toontown from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, combined with Mickey's hometown. The land is mainly for younger children feature a recreation of Mickey's home, as well as the homes of his friends Minnie, Donald, and Goofy. The two attractions featured here are Gadget's Go Coaster and Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.
- Tomorrowland: Based on a general sci-fi theme, the land was the embodiment of discovery and the future. Some of the attractions in this land are Star Wars-themed like Star Tours but that may change soon with the opening of Galaxy's Edge. The three biggest attractions are Space Mountain, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The ninth land opened on May 31, 2019, having replaced Big Thunder Ranch. This land is based on the famous Space Opera franchise, taking place on the planet Batuu. It will feature two attractions; Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, where guest can "pilot" the Millennium Falcon itself, and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, where guests can fight the First Order.