- Bob's Burgers: One episode of the show is called "The Gene Mile".
- The Boondocks: In "The New Black", Uncle Ruckus mentions this film was one of several that feature African-Americans playing characters with special needs.
- Robot Chicken:
- The final sketch from "But Not in That Way" features The Joker in a parody of The Shawshank Redemption and features a scene where he craps on the toilet while Batman is in the sewers looking for him. As he does this, he shouts "Forget about the green mile, try walking the brown mile!"
- A sketch from "Catch Me If You Kangaroo Jack", The Joker is sent to the chair at Arkham, and Commissioner Gordon fries him without a sponge for what he did to Barbara. The scene plays out like the infamous execution scene.
- In first sketch in "Fridge Smell", Paul takes John to walk the green mile...the whole mile. As they walk, the sketch shrinks into the corner of the screen and continues to play while the next few sketches are shown. After they finally walk the mile, Paul realizes he forgot the keys to the door and runs back to get them. Then, after a few more sketches, Paul comes back and straps John to the chair, only for the whole thing to be a surprise for John's birthday.
- The Simpsons:
- In "The Frying Game", Homer is "walking the green mile" to the electric chair and meets a John Coffey inspired character who strangles him. A parody of Thomas Newman's score plays during that scene.
- In "American History X-cellent", Mr. Burns' cellmate sucks out his evil like John does in the film.
Referenced By / The Green Mile