- Pixar paid homage to this movie a few times:
- In Toy Story, when Woody and Buzz are at Pizza Planet, an announcer says: "The white zone is for consumption of pizza only."
- In Toy Story 2, when the toys arrive at the airport, they park their commandeered Pizza Planet Truck right outside the terminal building, just as Ted Striker did with his commandeered taxi. An announcer says: "The white zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only."
- This is one of Seth MacFarlane's all-time favorite movies. He has referenced it in many of his works.
- Family Guy:
- "Airport '07" is mainly a take-off on the film, and includes a scene with Playboy founder Hugh Hefner giving Quagmire a similar speech that Leslie Nielsen did in the film, complete with the same accompaniment of the Notre Dame Fight Song.
- In "Blue Harvest", Leslie Nielsen makes a cameo saying, "I just want to wish you both good luck. We're all counting on you." (Side note: They wanted Nielsen to guest star and record this iconic line, but he was unavailable, so they ended up using sound footage from the film.)
- When Stewie finds out about the Tooth Fairy, he becomes panicked at the thought of an intruder in the house. What follows is an almost exact remake of the "Calm down" scenenote , complete with an escalating series of weapons as the camera pans over the line up of people.
- In one scene of Ted, John's flashback of how he met Lori is a parody of the flashback of how Striker met Elaine.
- Family Guy:
- In the U.S. Acres segment of Garfield and Friends "Swine Trek" (which, of course, is already a take-off of Star Trek), Roy, playing an Expy of Spock, keeps starting sentences with "Surely...", to which Orson, portraying the Kirk part, keeps repeating "...and don't call me 'Shirley'."
- Mile High Club, the in-flight Brutal Bonus Level, opens thus.SAS: Surely you can't be serious.Gaz: I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley.
- Sharknado 2: The Second One puts Ted Stryker (Robert Hays) back in the pilot seat as an Actor Allusion, complete with a reference to eating steak or fish for dinner.
Referenced By / Airplane!