Playmaker manages to withstand a brutal attack from Revolver's Link Monster. Sensing the presence of monsters in the Tower of Hanoi, he flies right into it. Playmaker then bets it all on a draw, but...
This episode contains the following tropes:
- An Arm and a Leg:
- Playmaker gets his hand severed as he tries to activate Storm Access. He recovers thanks to Ai, and with his help successfully activates his Skill and acquires Transcode Talker.
- The same thing happens to Revolver when he flies into the Data Storm and attempts to activate Storm Access. With help from Kogami, however, Revolver recovers and goes on to acquire Topologic Gamble Dragon.
- Big Damn Heroes: After Playmaker gets his right hand severed, Ai helps him back onto his D-Board, restores his hand, and takes control of the D-Board, allowing Playmaker to enter the Data Storm and acquire a new Monster while being shielded from the debris.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted. Ai appears to have disappeared from existence after protecting Playmaker from the debris while he uses Storm Access, but reappears after Revolver begins his turn.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: While Ai can only shield Playmaker from the debris in the Data Storm for 30 seconds, he successfully holds on long enough to acquire Transcode Talker.
- Magic Countdown: Subverted. Ai says his shield will last 30 seconds in the Data Storm. It takes exactly 30 seconds of real time for them to do the Storm Access and leave. Although it does last a few more seconds back outside to fade away.
- The Reveal: Revolver's real name is revealed to be Ryoken.
- Taking You with Me: Invoked by Revolver and justified. After noticing that Kogami's heart has stopped beating due to his sacrifice, Revolver quickly finishes off the Duel by using the Effect of Drop Draco, in combination with Topologic Gamble Dragon's, to deplete both his own and Playmaker's LP to 0.
- Time Stands Still: Kogami stops time from moving in LINK VRAINS as Revolver attempts to enter the Data Storm again after getting his hand severed, and offers the last of his strength to regenerate Revolver's hand and allow him to enter the Data Storm without issue.
- Too Dumb to Live: Subverted in both cases (to be fair though, they knew they had to risk getting ripped apart or die trying):
- Playmaker risks his life by activating Storm Access, sustaining injuries and a severed hand in the process. Had it not been for Ai saving him, Playmaker would potentially be dead by now.
- Revolver does the exact same thing, but with help from Kogami, who offers the last of his strength to Revolver, regenerating his hand and allowing himself to enter the Data Storm without issue.