"You know, sometimes people ask me if I play Pokémon. Eh heh heh heh I don't.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Kaiba makes a move that gives him unlimited cards, which... doesn't do much strategically note . But it sounded cool.
- Blunt "Yes": After Yami wins, he rhetorically asks if being the vaguely titled King of Games and winning the card game is far more valuable than being rich and powerful like Kaiba. Kaiba, in a display of uncharacteristically sensible priorities, says no.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: "Pegasus wasn't manly. He was a fop! A fruit! A fruity, foppish fruit-fop!"
- Call-Back: Melvin makes an off hand comment about having killed a baby earlier that day. Which is strange, because there haven't really been any infant characters besides the youngest Roba sibling and- oh my various gods.
- Calling Your Attacks: Lampshaded. There's no need for Yami to explain what his card does out loud to Kaiba, he just does it to piss him off. It results in a Big "SHUT UP!".
- Failed a Spot Check: Tea is taken off guard by Ishizu suddenly appearing beside her. Multiple times.
- Gilligan Cut: "No doubt [Melvin] is already hard at work plotting his next cruel scheme!"[meanwhile]Melvin: [looking in a mirror] Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.
- Hurricane of Puns: Yami makes a barrage of adoption based puns to mess with Kaiba's head.
- Hypocritical Humor: Yami flatly states that he doesn't play Pokémon, but that doesn't stop him from getting excited about trading "a shiny" a mere two episodes after this one.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: Kaiba demands wallpaper with cartoon dragons on it for his office seconds after claiming to be a "serious guy".
- It's All About Me: Yami forbids Yugi from crying over the potential death of his best friend just so he won't be "distracted" before his duel with Kaiba.
- Lame Comeback: "This proves nothing." "Proves you're a dick!"
- LittleKuriboh even referred to this line as a result of him writing himself "into a corner".
- Literal-Minded: Kaiba responds to being told "Not so fast!" by literally slowing down his speech.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer:
Mokuba: [actual 4Kids dialogue] "C'mon bro, take it to the hoop!"
- Utter by Mokuba cheering for Kaiba.
Yugi & Kaiba: [actual 4kids dialogue] "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
- Played for Laughs with Yugi and Kaiba screaming when the God cards destroyed each other.
- Oh My Gods!: Kaiba uses "Oh my money" while Yami opts for "Oh my various gods!".
- Race Lift: Kaiba questions why his past self appears white even though he was really Egyptian. Which in turn brings up the question of why his present self is also white, despite being Japanese.
- Running Gag: Bitch, I might be!
- Sanity Ball: Kaiba very briefly holds it when he bluntly acknowledges that his obscene wealth and corporate power are far more valuable than winning Yugi's vaguely defined "King of Games" title.
- Shout-Out: Kaiba's colorful holographic field is accompanied by the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983) theme.
- Kaiba's Enemy Controller card can use the Konami Code.
- Translation Convention: "Ancient Egyptian" is rendered as regular English played backwards, which all requires subtitles.
- Unexplained Recovery: Joey emerges unscathed from an off screen coma.
- Waxing Lyrical: Kaiba and Yami sing to the tune of "We Will Rock You" by Queen.Tea: What's happening out there, Duke?Duke: I think they're singing. Yep, pretty sure they're singing. It's fucking weird.
- Worthy Opponent: Yami concedes that Kaiba is his greatest adversary.
- Your Cheating Heart: Melvin accuses the Millenium Rod of sleeping with somebody else when it stops obeying him.
- Your Mom: Yami activated Kaiba's trap card... and his momma.