Yuya returns to the stadium after his victory over Shinji. The Tops cheer him for shutting Shinji up, while the Commons declare him an enemy for defeating Shinji as he did. As Shinji returns as well, they are greeted by an unexpected visitor; Jean-Michael Roget, come to personally compliment Yuya's skills and congratulate him on his victory. Roget says he knows he can rely on Yuya, and Shinji takes this to mean Yuya has been working for Security all along, and perhaps that's why he got to duel Jack before. Roget takes Yuya by the shoulder and explains he chose Yuya to duel Jack to show off his Pendulum Summon, and that he has grown stronger with every duel since. As the two pose for cameras, the Executive Council wonders if Roget is trying to sway Yuya to siding with him, but Reiji is confident Yuya won't be fooled. As Shinji is hauled away by Security, Yuya hops on his D-Wheel and rides back into the city to look for Yuzu and Sora.
In the city Yuya searches for Sora and finds him in the Commons, and the two evade the tail that's been following Yuya. Yuya asks if Sora is here because Academia is planning to attack, and if he came to Standard originally to look for Yuzu as Dennis looked for Ruri. Sora denies this and says he wants to save Yuzu. He originally left Standard when he saw Serena in Yuzu's clothes, and thought Obelisk Force might have taken Yuzu by mistake when looking for Serena. That was when he learned the Professor was looking for both girls. He came back to Standard and learned about the Lancers, and followed them into the Synchro Dimension. With Dennis returned, Academia's invasion is sure to come now that they know both girls are here. Sora admits he's looking out for Yuya and Yuzu because they're the only friends he's ever had, and he has no intent for the Professor to get Yuzu. He offers to exchange Yuzu for Serena with Yuya. Yuya protests that even if they do such an exchange, the Professor will still look for Yuzu across the dimensions. The only way is to defeat Academia.
Security and Roget listen in on the conversation via a surveillance device. On Roget's orders, Security moves to capture the two, but Yuya takes the net meant for Sora and he escapes.
Meanwhile, Yuzu awakens and wanders around Commons. She finds Amanda, Frank, and Tanner, who tells her about Crow being the one to same Yuya and his friends, and take her with them to watch Crow's duel with Kurosaki. As the two are led to the arena, Crow reflects on Shinji's accusations and thinks he can't trust anyone, while Kurosaki is confident Dennis isn't the only Academia agent that's infiltrated them, and vows to expose anyone else working for them.
This episode contains examples of:
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Sora reasons that Yuya and Yuzu are his only friends and the kindness they shown him was something he never got in his home dimension, hence the lengths he's willing to go to keep them safe from Academia.
- Broken Pedestal: Yuya became this to Shinji, Crow and Sam, but not of any fault of his own but because of Roget.
- Didn't Think This Through: Sora wants to exchange Serena for Yuzu, so Yuya can be reunited with her and he can take Serena back to Fusion as ordered. Yuya points out that once the Professor has Serena, he'll still come after Yuzu. Sora has no response.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Yuya. Due to Roget, Yuya is seen as a spy for the Tops and as a result the Commons loathe him.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Subverted, Yuya reveals he's doesn't fully trust Sora and asks who's side he's on and if Yuzu is really safe.
- Insane Troll Logic: When Shinji accuses the duel of being fixed, Roget points out how ridiculous that idea is, because Shinji would have to have been in on it if it was true.
- Made of Iron: Yuzu. She woke up at best a few hours after being rammed into a building and was able walk even if Sora saved her.
- Morality Pet: Sora reveals that Yuya and Yuzu have become this to him, with him even willing to go against Leo to protect them.
- Morton's Fork: In the end, Yuya's situation. Dueling the way he believes in didn't work, and dueling in the City's way still got him to be hated. Unless he completely changes the rules of the world, he won't be able to change much.
- Mythology Gag: Shinji calling Yuya a traitor as he was being dragged away is a lot like Yusei and Kiryu last interaction before he became a Dark Signer.
- Oh, Crap!: Roget realizes that Academia is going to send Yuri to Synchro to find Yuzu and Serena, and is visibly worried before having another Not So Stoic moment where he snaps at his men.
- Prisoner Exchange: Attempted by Sora, though neither Yuzu or Serena is currently a prisoner. He offers to give Yuzu to Yuya in exchange for Yuya bringing him Serena to take back to Academia. Yuya naturally refuses, on account of 1) he would never sell out his friends, 2) even if he did so, the Professor would come after Yuzu anyway, and 3) the interdimensional war would still need to be resolved.
- Sore Loser: Shinji is definitely not happy that Yuya won, going as far as to claim that the duel was rigged so that Yuya would win. Jean-Michel of all people calls him out on this and lays into him before ordering his men to take him away.