Yuya, Gongenzaka and Sawatari watch as Academia's duelists are carded by Kaito. Kaito accuses them of also being Academia students, and decides to see for himself by dueling them. Sawatari accepts his challenges and activates the Action Field Cross Over, and calls out the customary Action Field chant with Yuya and Gongenzaka. Sawatari takes the first move, setting one card and summoning "Underworld Troupe - Wild Hope." At this time Gongenzaka enters the duel as well, taking a 2000 Life Point penalty. He summons "Superheavy Samurai Swordsman," and equips it with "Superheavy Samurai Soul Chusai." The effect of Chusai means the opponent can only attack Swordsman, and Swordsman's effect reduces the ATK of any monster it battles to 0. Gongenzaka resolves not to let Kaito or Sawatari fight by locking down their attacks.
Sawatari finds and activates the Action Card "Break Ruin," dealing 300 damage to Kaito times the difference of cards in their hands; Kaito takes 600 damage. Since a player took effect damage, Chusai destroys itself. Gongenzaka is angry that Sawatari wants to duel Kaito who should be their ally, but Kaito has made his judgment — their foreign Action Dueling means they are invaders from another dimension, his enemies. Kaito takes his turn and summons two "Cipher Wing" by its own effect. Gongenzaka and Sawatari recognize he will Xyz Summon using them, and Sawatari activates "Abyss Actor's Vacancy," preventing monsters of the level he declares from being used as materials for a summon if the other materials are the same level. He declares level 4, preventing Xyz Summons using Level 4 monsters.
Kaito activates the Continous Magic "Ciper Interference," which lets him double the ATK of a Cipher monster during damage calculation once per turn, as long as he controls two ore more Cipher monsters. Cipher Wing attacks, its ATK doubling to 2800, and destroys Wild Hope. The second Cipher Wing attacks Sawatari directly, taking him to 1400 Life Points. Kaito sets two cards and ends his turn. Sawatari begins his turn and sets "Abyss Actor - Devil Heel" and "Abyss Actor - Funky Comedian" in his Pendulum zones and Pendulum Summons "Abyss Actor - Superstar" and Wild Hope. Sawatari then activates "Abyss Script - Abode of the Fire Dragon" and targets Superstar — now when it destroys an opponent's monster, he can banish three cards from their Extra Deck. Sawatari intends to banish Kaito's dragon before he can summon it.
Sawatari powers Superstar to 4400 ATK and attacks Cipher Wing, but Kaito activates the Continuous Trap "Cipher Shield," when prevents Cipher monsters from being destroyed in battle while he controls two or more. Kaito falls to 1800 Life Points, and activates his other Continuous Trap "Cipher Chain" since he took battle damage. Now when one of the monsters currently on the field is destroyed, all monsters that are currently on the field are destroyed as well, and all players take damage equal to their ATK. However, the second effect of Cipher Shield prevents Kaito from taking effect damage, so only Sawatari and Gongenzaka will. Gongenzaka takes his turn and performs a Synchro Summon, summoning "Superheavy Samurai Ninja Sarutobi" in Defense position. Sarutobi's effect activates, destroying Cipher Chain. Sarutobi attacks Cipher Wing, taking Kaito to 1500 Life Points.
Kaito draws his third Cipher Wing and summons it, and activates its effect, tributing it to increase levels of all Cipher monsters he controls by 4. Kaito overlays his now level 8 Cipher Wings to Xyz Summon "Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon." The effect of Cipher Dragon activates, letting Kaito take control of Sarutobi and grant it the same name and ATK as Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon. Sarutobi attacks Superstar, the effect of Cipher Interference doubling its ATK, and Ciper Wing attacks Gongenzaka directly. Sawatari and Gongenzaka are defeated.
During the duel, Yuya hears Yuto speaking inside of him. Yuto tells Yuya about Kaito, that he was the ace duelist of Clover Dueling School, rival to Yugo and Kurosaki's Spade school. Kaito was a great duelist, a favorite to become world champion before Academia invaded. However, then his dueling was energetic and stylish, but Yuto sees only anger in his eyes now. With Sawatari and Gongenzaka defeated, Kaito turns his eyes to Yuya.
This episode contains the following tropes:
- The Bus Came Back:
- Call-Back: The Action Duel catchphrase returns when Sawatari challenges Kaito.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Kaito opens with two Level 4 Cipher Wings, so Sawatari uses a Trap to prevent him from using Level 4 monsters as Xyz Material. Fair enough. Then Kaito summons a third Cipher Wing and activates its effect to make the others Level 8. Whoops.
- I Never Told You My Name: Yuya is surprised that he somehow knows Kaito by name despite never having met the guy before nor getting a proper introduction. That's because he's sharing a body with Yuto, who does know Kaito.
- Me's a Crowd: Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon can take control of other monsters and turn them into copies of itself with the same AYK and name.
- Mythology Gag:
- Yuto's Spirit Advisor role feels a lot like he's the Astral to Yuya's Yuma.
- The first line of Kaito's chant for Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon ("Galaxy shining in the darkness") is lifted from a chant the original Kaito used for Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon. Most of the chant is the same, but instead of Galaxy-Eyes becoming the light of hope, Kaito tells it to become a vessel for his revenge.
- Similarly, Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon's attack is named "Cipher Stream of Eradication" (Senmetsu no Cipher Stream), hearkening back to Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon's "Photon Stream of Destruction" (Hametsu no Photon Stream) and to Blue-Eyes White Dragon's Burst Stream of Destruction (Horobi no Burst Stream). It's also a reference to one of his ZEXAL rivals; Mizael, whose Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon attacked with "Senmetsu no Tachyon Spiral".
- We ARE Struggling Together: Yuya and Gongenzaka find it pointless to be dueling when the four of them should be allies, but Kaito and Sawatari don't listen.
- The Worf Effect: Kaito's Dueling cred is established by him easily taking down Gongenzaka and Sawatari at the same time.