Xena and Gabrielle travel to Japan to help an old friend of Xena's past.
- All Up to You: While Xena is still present in the sequence, it's Gabrielle who comes up with the plan to put out the fire.
- Booze Flamethrower: Evil Xena does this in order to disperse a mob. Unfortunately, the flames spread quickly, killing 40,000 people in the resulting inferno. It is the last time that she does this trick on the show.
- Breath Weapon: Yodoshi uses the ice variety to freeze a poor victim solid.
- Grand Finale: The first part of the story.
- Honey Trap: Yodoshi forced Akemi into this position, luring unsuspecting travelers into her house for the demon to kill and eat their souls.
- Katanas Are Just Better: When past Xena clashed swords with the blacksmith, her sword is cut in half in one blow. Xena was more impressed with the craftsmanship than anything.
- Multi-Part Episode
- Pressure Point: Gabrielle found out that Xena taught Akemi 'The Pinch' far earlier than she did to Gabrielle. She later shows Gabrielle how to do it.
- Seppuku: After killing her father, Akemi does this outside the house, with Xena assisting with a decapitation.
- Soul Eating: Yodoshi's preferred method to take souls.
- Took a Level in Badass: Gabrielle throughout the episode, from learning how to perform The Pinch to performing the superflip on her own fir the first time.
- Warrior Poet: Akemi. Fitting, as the setting is in Japan.
- Youkai: Yodoshi is referred to as a 'demon', but he does look the part in being a youkai.
- Your Soul Is Mine!: Yodoshi seized on the opportunity from Xena's blunder by stealling the 40,000 souls for himself. He continued to do so for countless other souls up to that point.