Wander and Sylvia find a derelict spaceship and go inside to look for any survivors. They are too late, as they have all been eaten by an acid-spewing monster! The two get separated, and while Sylvia tries to find a way to kill the thing, Wander thinks its adorable and tries to tame it!
The Pet features examples of:
- Big "NO!"/Skyward Scream: By Sylvia when she sees what she thinks is Wander's remains but is actually a teddy bear cut up by the alien and put in a cocoon. Immediately followed by a Big "WHY?!".
- Brief Accent Imitation: Sylvia speaks in Wander's southern accent when she tries to think of what Wander would say to her when she thinks he's dead.
- But Thou Must!: Once the self-destruct activates, it cannot be deactivated, or in other words, "no takesies backsies".
- Curse Cut Short: "Let him go, you-"
- Department of Redundancy Department: When inside the ship's escape pod, Sylvia notices Wander is still alive and escapes through an "escape pod escape pod".
- Dramatic Irony: Sylvia thinks Wander was killed by the alien, but the audience knows that was just the teddy bear Wander gave it. It is even the same color as Wander's fur.
- Exact Words: "No takesies-backsies."
- Fluffy the Terrible: The alien is given the name Captain Tim by Wander. It was the name of the ship's captain, whose dogtag Wander finds inside its gullet.
- Fluffy Tamer: Wander does manage to teach Captain Tim some tricks, but he's still too dangerous for him to keep as a pet. He's perfect for Lord Hater, though.
- For Want of a Nail: The episodes plot basically happens because Wander got distracted by the ooze dripping from the roof.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: When the alien is about to meet Wander for the first time, from its heat-sensing vision Wander's hat appears red despite the fact it's just an object.
- Ghost Ship: The episode takes place aboard one, naturally containing a monster that wants to eat everything aboard.
- Jump Scare: At the very end of the closing credits.
- Lock-and-Load Montage: Sylvia goes through several.
- Magic Countdown: If one looks closely at the clock in a few scenes, it doesn't tick down by seconds, but by one and a half seconds.
- Mistaken for Dog: Wander comes face to face with a voracious, acid-spewing spider-like monster who has eaten the entire crew of a spaceship... and starts gushing about how cute he is and tries to train it and be his pet.
- Not What It Looks Like: Sylvia opens the wrapped up cocoon revealing the teddy bear's stuffing, and believes it's Wander.
- Race Against the Clock: The final third of the episode becomes this; when Sylvia purposefully activates the ship's self-destruct thinking Wander has been eaten by the alien, she discovers he's still alive and has to get him out before time runs out.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: After thinking Wander was eaten by the alien, Sylvia activates the ship's self-destruct to keep the alien from escaping. When she discovers that Wander is still alive, she has to return and get him out before the ship explodes.
- Shout-Out: The whole episode, to the Alien franchise.
- To Star Wars: "I have a bad feeling about this."
- To Jaws: "I'm going to need a bigger blaster!" (said three times in fact.)
- When Sylvia is flipping out thinking Wander was eaten by the alien (when really it was the teddy bear Wander gave it), she spins on the floor running like how Curly of The Three Stooges does.
- Tears of Remorse: Wander sheds these as he sees Captain Tim settle in his new home with Hater.
- Too Dumb to Live: Wander is completely unaware that the ship's self-destruct has been activated and is in danger of being exploded to death along with it.
- Whole Plot Reference: The entire episode is an homage to the Alien films.
- Xenomorph Xerox: Captain Tim is an insectoid monster with acidic spit, cocooning its victims and implied to lay eggs inside living people.