The Big Job
Wander and Sylvia join the Insurgent Generals, a rebel team set out to stop Lord Hater's latest scheme. While Sylvia's job is fighting, Wander's is to guard the door so no one enters. This is proven hard when he ends up leaving it open for others to come in.
- Absentee Actor: Lord Hater never actually shows up (except for the end credits animatic).
- Big "NO!": By Hater in the animatic.
- Big Damn Heroes: The Insurgents
- Crazy-Prepared: Hater has a lock with two keys required to deactivate the bomb, and the Generals were only able to find one.
- Finish Dialogue in Unison: The one-liner of the Insurgent Generals.
- Finger Wag: Part of Sylvia's catch-phrase as "Sass 'n' Smash".
- Fun with Acronyms: "HT-125F", which means "Heated To 125 degrees Flargenhantz".
- Herr Doktor: The Watchdog scientists that Wander lets in has a notable German accent.
- Poke the Poodle: The Insurgent's plan was just to sabotage Hater's hot tub. Turns out they are too afraid of him to actually battle Hater.
- Save the Villain: Wander runs back inside the exploding lab to save the unconscious Watchdog scientist. This earns him the respect of the Insurgent Generals.
- The Squad: The Insurgent Generals.
- Take That!: The Insurgent Generals are an Affectionate Parody of militaristic action/adventure heroes like the G.I. Joe team and The A-Team.
Wander's usual job at helping others is suddenly put on hold when everyone he runs into doesn't need his help. As a result, he starts panicking and constantly tries to find someone in need.
- An Aesop: Not everyone needs your help sometimes.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: As seen in past episodes, Wander is compelled to help people. It is show here that an entire day (or an entire planet) where absolutely no one needs him to do anything is enough to drive him completely out of his mind.
- Crazy-Prepared: The delivery guy can fix his car, one customer has glasses with wipers.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Wander disrupts the set of a movie about making a movie.
- Foreshadowing: Wander's obsessive need to help people foreshadows The Reveal he's a Sad Clown in Season 2.
- Heroic BSoD: Poor Wander cracks up and slips into a faint when his desperation to help reaches its peak.
- Idiot Hero: For the first time, Wander actually averts this when facing Lord Hater.
- Impossibly Delicious Food: The pies Hater ordered, if his reaction to eating them in the credits is any indication.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Wander notices Hater, he tries to stop him, which is out-of-character, as he usually wants to befriend him.
- Although he's probably aware that he's a villain, and is desperate enough to do anything at all.
- Proscenium Reveal: Wander hears a woman crying for help and goes to save her...only to realize he ruined a scene from a movie thats being filmed. Then one of the cameras catches fire and he puts it out...and it turns out to be a movie about making a movie.
- Tempting Fate: When Wander finally starts to relax, Sylvia remarks "It's not like Hater is gonna show up with his army of Watchdogs and try to take over the town or something." Then she does a Spit Take when she sees Hater's ship just outside the diner. Subverted, in that it turns out Hater's just here for lunch.
- Twitchy Eye: Wander gets a case of this when his repeated failures to help people start getting to him.
- Villains Out Shopping: Hater arrives on the planet, but he's just here to pick up lunch for him and his underlings.
- You Just Ruined the Shot: Wander's attempt to save a woman from a burning building turns out to be him interrupting a movie shoot. Then he does it again when he interrupts a crew "making a movie about making a movie" when the camera catches fire and he tries to put it out.