Jim warms up to the idea of being the Trollhunter until he faces Bular, who is determined to destroy him, so he seeks help in Blinky and AAARRRGGHH!!
Tropes for this episode include:
- Chef of Iron: Jim was able to adapt to using his sword by applying his skills with a kitchen knife.
- Depraved Dentist: While not overtly sadistic, Toby's dentist uses various tools that Toby is clearly not enjoying, including a mechanical tool with a drill and buzzsaw attachment.
- Evil Is Hammy: Bular. Just Bular.
- From Bad to Worse: A hilarious slippery-slope moment when questioned about the last trollhunter.Jim: So, the previous Trollhunter, what, retired?.
AAARRRGGHH: Was felled
AAARRRGGHH: Means killed.
Blinky: Turned to stone and smashed. Kanjigar the Courageous was his name. Brutally slain by a ruthless troll named Bular.
Toby: Don't worry dude. This Bular guy probably just got lucky.
Blinky: The evidence does not suggest that. Bular is a formidable opponent.
Jim Then the other guy, he was just off his game or something, right?
Blinky: Doubtful. Kanjigar was perhaps the most alert and able of all the Trollhunters.
Jim: But not the best, I'm betting.
Blinky: Oh, the very best. Many songs and sagas have been written about him.
- Instant Armor: The very moment Bular's fist hits Jim, his armor appears and deflects the blow, cutting it very close.
- Playing Sick: Everyone hides in the bathroom when Barbara comes home early, Jim faking stomach problems in order to hide Toby, Blinky, AAARRRGGHH and his new suit of armor.
- Police are Useless: When Blinky and AAARRRGGHH burst in, Toby's immediate reaction is to call animal control. He tries to explain the situation (albeit hysterical) only for Animal Control to hang up on him in response.
- Reality Ensues: Jim is a teenage boy who has never trained in combat. Thus, even with his armor, he has no choice but to run. Blinky and AARGH instead help him get to the market, out of danger.
- Run or Die: First time Jim and Toby encounters Bular, Jim is unable to summon his armor, giving them no choice but to escape. The second time they meet, Jim manages to summon the armor but runs anyway, quickly assessing that he is outmatched.Jim: Uh... nope. [Runs for it.]
- Suddenly Fluent in Gibberish: Toby's dentist translates to Jim what he is saying while Toby's dental appointment is in session.
- With Great Power Comes Great Perks: When Jim shows Toby his armor for the first time, Toby's first idea on how to use it is to get back at Steve.
- Would Hurt a Child: Bular makes it clear he wants to murder Jim.