Dr. Lake has an over night shift. So Jim and Strickler, with help from Draal, prepare a trap for Angor Rot.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Booby Trap: Draal, Jim and Strickler have set these all over the Lake home.
- Internal Reveal: Jim's mother learns about the existence of trolls and her son's double life. She takes it about as well as can be expected, not that immediately getting attacked by Angor Rot helps.
- I Shall Taunt You: Jim "reminds" Angor Rot that he's the reason the ring is destroyed and his soul is gone to get Angor to chase him into his bedroom where a trap awaits.
- Mama Bear: Dr. Lake, despite finding out the hard way about trolls and her son having been chosen as Trollhunter, steps up, determined to protect him.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Jim's mother, in her panicked determination to protect her son, arrives in the nick of time, and strikes at precisely the wrong moment, knocking Angor Rot free of the trap set by Strickler and Jim.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Despite all of the trio's combined efforts, both Strickler and Barbara end up seriously injured. While Strickler can still drive a car, Barbara is dying and can barely move.
- Super Cell Reception: Jim makes a panicked cellphone call to Toby, who receives it, in Trollmarket which is deep, deep underground.
- Was It All a Lie?: Barbara is less than happy to find out that the man she was dating had summoned a magical assassin to kill her son, and that he used her as a magical hostage.