As a new day dawns in Arcadia, two trolls are locked in an epic battle with major consequences for the human world — and one human boy in particular. Unassuming human James "Jim" Lake Jr. discovers the Amulet of Daylight, a magical artifact that bestows upon him the power and responsibilities of the Trollhunter.
Tropes for this episode include:
- Chekhov's Skill: Jim is a skilled chef, handy with all manner of knives.
- First-Episode Spoiler: Mr. Strickler works with Bular.
- For Want of a Nail: If Jim hadn't been chosen as the next trollhunter, Strickler wouldn't have talked to Bular about it by the end of the episode.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Strickler bears them while talking to Bular.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Trollhunter Kanjigar the Courageous sacrifices himself by willingly throwing himself into the daylight, keeping the Amulet out of Bular's reach before Jim discovers it in the remains.
- Late for School: The final bell alerts Jim and Toby, drawing their attention away from the newly discovered amulet.
- Morning Routine: Jim is first shown in his morning routine (waking up, cleaning the living room, preparing breakfast, etc.)
- Psychologist Teacher: Rather than thinking Jim is lazy like your by-the-books teacher, Strickler could tell that Jim is simply distracted by his busy life and offers his counsel should he ever need it, and could even tell that Jim likes Claire and advises him to simply tell her instead of staring all day.
- Shout-Out: To the Excalibur myth. Jim's first summoning of the sword Daylight results in him getting it stuck in a stone... And having to pull it out. Twice.
- The Voice: Jim hears a voice coming from an inconspicuous pile of rocks calling his name.
- Wham Shot:
- The trolls appearing in Jim's basement.
- Strickler seeing the amulet in Jim's backpack.