The United States Army's latest development, the quadrupedal Sidewinder armoured transport, is undergoing field tests in the wilderness. Equipped with two grasping claws and weighing over 500 tonnes, the vehicle was built to counter African brushfire wars. Alas, the enormous walker crosses an unmarked military landfill that had gained a thin topsoil crust and plunged into the Pit Of Peril. The waste in the pit has caught fire and the Sidewinder is trapped on its side.
Fortunately, the remoteness of the testing facility is no impediment to the Thunderbird aircraft of International Rescue, who turn up and save the day with a combination of their Drill Tank The Mole and a pair of heavy-lifting trucks.
- Convection Schmonvection: The brave soldier is lowered into the blazing pit and suffers no ill effects until he's close to the bottom.
- An additional soldier is lowered in holding onto a metal pipe with his bare hands. Must have been very painful.
- Drill Tank: The Mole.
- Militaries Are Useless: The militairy itself are the ones that get in trouble this episode and their own attempts to save the Sidewinder fail miserably. That last part is justified since they are in a remote area with no opportunity to bring in better equipment on a short notice, so they have to make do with what they got in the field.
- Pit Trap: Albeit an unintentional one since the thin topsoil covering the pit was formed naturally.
- Trashcan Bonfire: A truly enormous example.
- Walking Tank: The Sidewinder.