Air Date: September 3rd, 1998 (UK)
The engines are working really hard, and the Fat Controller thinks they need some help. He hires 3 lorries to help them, but the lorries are rude to the engines. The engines have the last laugh though when the lorries get into difficulties.
Tropes featured in the episode:
- Asshole Victims: The lorries.
- Drives Like Crazy: The lorries, to their detriment.Tow truck man: Stupid lorry was reversing and fell straight into the sea.
- Everyone Has Standards: Despite being furious at the lorry mocking him, Toby is horrified when one skids off a cliff.
- Fantastic Racism: The three lorries to the trains.
- The Freelance Shame Squad: The engines all laugh at the dilapidated lorries for revenge.Thomas: Well, well, well! The Brothers Grim: Smashed, Broken, and Sunk!
- Ironic Echo: When the lorries first arrive, one of them asks Percy "What's that steaming lump of scrap iron doing here?". Later, Percy asks the lorry the exact same thing when he finds him broken down.
- It Belongs in a Museum: When Lorry 2 meets Toby, he tells him that he belongs in a museum instead of working at a quarry.
- Jerkasses: The lorries. Cranky as well when he is pleased with them going to show off the trains.
- Laser-Guided Karma: All three lorries suffer accidents that leave them wrecked after bullying the engines and vowing to have them scrapped.
- Self-Disposing Villain: The engines dont have to do a thing to get rid of the lorries- they wreck themselves and are hauled off the island in shame.
- Smug Snake: The lorries.
- Tempting Fate: The tender engines scoff at the idea of being replaced by lorries. Soon enough three appear.
- Terrible Trio: The lorries.
- Title Drop: Thomas, after being bothered by one of the lorries.Thomas: What a horrid lorry!