Air date: October 3rd, 2013
After a couple of misfortunes involving a torn sack of mail and some cargo on the line, Percy feels as though he has bad luck. Stephen gives Percy a horseshoe to represent as a lucky charm to help him regain his confidence, but when Percy realizes that he lost the charm, he has to find confidence in himself to help pull Bill and Ben back onto the rails.
Tropes featured in the episode:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: The mishap with the mail and the Guard's handkerchief happened as a result of Percy daydreaming beforehand.
- Bait-and-Switch: Due to his good track record that day, the Fat Controller entrusts Percy with an important special, seemingly setting up the usual mishaps when an engine is given an important job, only for...nothing bad to happen whatsoever and the package to be delivered swiftly in a short amount of time, furthering Percy's good luck. The episode's dilemma doesn't occur until he meets Bill and Ben afterwards.
- Big Damn Heroes: Percy who saves Ben from tipping off the rails and down a hill (and likely taking Bill and the rest of the train with him).
- Bratty Half Pints: Bill and Ben, much to the chagrin of the Fat Controller.
- Broken Aesop: The moral of the episode is not bad; it's how Percy and Stephen shrug it off that luck doesn't exists.
- Butt-Monkey: Percy is a Lampshaded (and eventually Deconstructed) example.
- The Bus Came Back: This is Bill and Ben's first appearance together since "Hector the Horrid" (not counting a few of Ben's appearances from the later seasons in which he appears without Bill).
- Death Glare: The Fat Controller gives the twins one in reaction to their arguing.
- Face Palm: The Fat Controller's reaction the second time round.
- Hypocritical Humor: Bill and Ben tease Percy for accidentally tearing a sack of mail despite unknowingly dropping a pumpkin from a flatbed.
- Magic Feather: The main plot.
- Never My Fault: Bill and Ben's bickering over who is causing confusion and delay.
- Not My Lucky Day: Percy at the start. Subverted the next day.
- Sibling Rivalry: Bill and Ben, as always. The Fat Controller even groans when they blame each other for being derailed.
- So Proud of You: The Fat Controller praises Percy for saving Bill and Ben.
- Superstition Episode: Percy believes he has bad luck after he accidentally tears a sack of mail and runs over some of Bill and Ben's pumpkins.